VG10 with beecktek or juicelinked? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VG10 with beecktek or juicelinked?

Hi, I want to get a vg10 this month but was wondering if anyone has had any success getting a xlr adaptor to work with it. I plan on buying two of the emount nxcams when they finally appear but a small vg10 would be lovely for my steadicam merlin and if I could get an xlr input it would be perfect for what I require.

Just hoping someone has tried it or know what i need to look out in terms of specifications.

Thanks, Michael.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

If you just want XLR input, MarkerTek sells cables that can give you one or two inputs. If you need Phantom power you need more, but you still may not need a box.

You don't need level controls either if you mic sensitivity matches the VG10's sensitivity. Alas, Sony doesn't specify it!

But since I assume you have a bunch of micd when you get your VG10 try recording each and when you play back watch your NLEs VU meter. It will bd pretty obvious which mics output an average level of about -20dB and peak up to about -6dB. When you find the mics that do this, look at their sensitivity specs. These are the mics to use with the VG10. This is a kind of you'll know it when it looks right process.

If the average is up about -8dB the signal is too high and the limiters will always working.

If the peaks only get to -15dB then the signal is too low.

Two more points:

If you use 2 mics, they should/must have the same sensitivity!

If the mics you want to use are too sensitive, compute the sensitivity difference between them and the sensitivity of those mics that work. You can order inline attenuators.

Bottom line, for a few hours work you can save a few hundred $$$ and not need a box.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. I'll probably use my z7's if i need anything that complicated audio-wise but will have a play with my mics and see.

Do you know if the juicedlink will work with it, phantom might be handy and if one pops up on ebay for example I might grab it.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

I haven't tried the juiced link, but see no reason it wouldn't work.
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a Beachtek for my Canon DSLR. It is the one that disables the AGC. And it works well. You can use two channels but the one has the AGC disable that can muffle the sound.

But with my Sony cameras (I now have a Sony Nex 5), I've been using my old Zoom H4. And on short jobs it works great. You can see it on my television show: Film Fix Review: GNOMEO & JULIET

Note that is my daughter holding it in that Gnomeo review.

Now, recently, I did a 40+ minute continuous two camera show with an expert on the Oscars. That show will go up tomorrow and appear on TV on two small metro Atlanta cable stations starting Monday. I had some audio sync drift that took some doing to fix and sync. But as you will see, the sync is very good on the finished product.

I use Plural Eyes, which has performed well until the most recent Oscar show. And the problem lies in the older Zoom recorders and their time accuracy. But I figured out how to fix that using Soundtrack Pro and time stretch. And now that I have developed a workflow, I'm okay with it.

Next week though I'm covering a film festival and I'm going to pick up a small Zoom H1 at Best Buy. If it has a sync audio drift problem, I'm going to return it to Best Buy.

Incidentally, I called Samson about my Zoom problem and sent them an email about it too. I got no response. Their Zoom product is a good one, I'm sure. Heck I've used mine here and there over the years with acceptable results. But their customer service ain't that good. About 4 or so years ago, I had a Samson wireless microphone package that just did not give clean sound. They couldn't help me then and the package went on ebay. I use a Senn G2 package now with now complaints.

So, get a Zoom, but deal with Best Buy or your seller within their warranty period, because I wouldn't expect much from Samson.
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900