Pimping the NEXVG10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pimping the NEXVG10

Anybody out there pimping the VG10 and wanna chat?
I have the VG10E (50i) out to a nanoflash (can set at 24p). sold the lens it came with and have Canon FD adapters with Canon 24mm 1.2, Tokina 28mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.2.
I have a Zacuto EVF on order. A redrock baseplate and rods and a mattebox from Proaim.

Terry
Terrance Odette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Pimping the NEXVG10

Terry,
I'm almost there with you. I have an Indisystems Areeba rail/shoulder brace system, their follow-focus configured for zoom control, Matte box, Lee ND's and a Lilliput field monitor. Also using a small LED light panel as situations dictate.

I have quite a few Nikon lenses that I'm using regularly as well. Seriously considering a Ninja since I have pre-ordered an FS-100, I'm hesitating on adding more.

As much negative publicity as this camera has gotten, I'm really liking it. with a little pimping, it's very capable rig. In the first six months I had it, it paid for itself several times over as well as paying for all of the "add-ons". I have worked it pretty steadily since last November, and have work lined up into mid July.

I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with it's ideosyncracies, and pretty confident that I can get what I'm after almost all the time.

Are you working with the camera, or is it more recreational?
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Terrance,

Being an EX1 owner, in controlled situations I set it up with Letus Elite adapter and Canon FD glass similar to yours. I also am a nanoFlash user. I don't hide that if I could afford it, I'd buy the FS100 as the second camera - but in my present situation I would have to sell the EX1, which I'm reluctant to do...

But for those ad-hoc "beauty shots", I'd like to have some large sensor camera... I'm looking at many options, and the NEX VG10 and NEX-5 are among them. My questions:

- what is the crop factor of Canon FD on those APS-C sensors (i.e. what focal length would my Canon FD 50mm be)?

- I know for a fact that people do use nanoFlash to record HDMI from their VG10s, but is it also possible with the NEX-5?

Thanks,

Piotr
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Major Player

If memory serves the crop factor is 1.8

Not sure about an hdmi out on the nex 5. Steve Mullen would be the man to ask.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900