DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Vg20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/498461-vg20.html)

Henry Williams July 15th, 2011 06:11 AM

Vg20

Seems like there is going to be a VG20 after all.

Monday Isa July 15th, 2011 07:14 AM

Re: Vg20

I'm very interested to see what it'll offer. I'm currently using a AF100 and need a second inexpensive camcorder I can use. This may fit very well based on specs or possibly the next installment of the GH3 which can follow panasonic recent patent release. I'm excited and very interested in what's released in the next few months.

Steve Mullen July 15th, 2011 10:55 AM

Sony seems interested in putting out new models that are little more than a cosmetic alteration. The NEX-3C is a bit smaller and has the firmware V4 update built in. Big deal.

If the VG20 only has a firmware update plus a 16MP chip I'll very unhappy. A V4 firmware could have been released for the VG10 -- costing us nothing.

The big problem is that unless sensitivity is increased by several stops the current E-mount zoom lenses are simply too slow. So if a 16MP chip were more sensitivity, that would be very helpful. More important than greater resolution. Oddly, sensitivity would be increased by dropping the resolution to 10MP-12MP.

Of course a 16MP chip could be used for a 4K2K camcorder. That would be a big deal!

Dave Blackhurst July 15th, 2011 12:57 PM

The 16Mp CMOS is a lock, IMO, as they have been improving that "class" sensor quite a bit, and tweaking better performance out of it.

The "3C" was pretty disappointing as it only does 720p video... "looks" nice though (!?)

Sony has a lot of "announcements" coming soon, it'll probably be the usual mixed bag, some "good", some "meh", maybe a couple "bad", you just never know!

Steve Mullen July 15th, 2011 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sony simply "must" add Focus Assist plus Peaking to the VG20!

Better feeling buttons is a must too. Along with a better GUI.

16MP slightly increases the sampling frequency which, if the OLPF turn-over frequency is increased, will enable capture of slightly higher resolution photos -- but also increase aliasing on video. I'm not sure Sony super-rez photo sensors are ideal for video.

My samples from JVC's 1920x1080p60 PX1 camera delivers stunning images with a 10MP chip.

And I doubt a 16MP chip can deliver the needed 2-stops greater sensitivity offered by the FS100. And IMHO -- given the slow zooms -- the camera needs 2-stops.

Perhaps the rumored new $1200 camera may offer what I'm looking for.

Monday Isa July 15th, 2011 06:00 PM

There's a really good chance the NEX-VG10 will use the NEX-7 technology. All we can do is wait and see.

Toby Younis August 24th, 2011 10:57 AM

...zzzzzzz.

Interchangeable Lens HD Handycam Camcorder and Lens | SLT-A77VQ | Sony USA

Steve Mullen August 24th, 2011 09:15 PM

Re: VG20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 1667542)
There's a really good chance the NEX-VG10 will use the NEX-7 technology. All we can do is wait and see.

Interesting choice. VG-20 vs NEX-7:

Sony Exmor CMOS sensor
Sony Exmor technology uses column-parallel A/D converters for high resolution and high frame rates. Double noise reduction minimizes image noise, even in low light.

24.3 MP; best-in-class resolution
You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements thanks to a 24.3 megapixel sensor. It's the highest resolution among pocket cameras as of August 2011.

25-point Auto Focus
25 sensors cover a very wide area of the scene, for accurate focusing even when the subject is far from the center of the frame.

Intelligent Auto Focus
Pre-focuses as you compose the shot, further reducing focusing time to a bare minimum.

Object Tracking AF
Locks onto a specified object and maintains focus even as the subject moves. Unpredictable subjects stay in focus even while zooming. You can concentrate on composition without worrying about focus.

Phase Detect AF with adaptor
The LA-EA2 lens mount adaptor (sold separately) is the world's first with Sony's award-winning Translucent Mirror Technology. This provides super-fast and accurate Phase Detection AF when used with Sony A mount lenses.

Peaking function
Manual focus becomes much easier because peaking highlights the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors (white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focus setting can make or break your shot.

Full HD Movies at 60p/60i/24p
Capture HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. AVCHD codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web.

HD movies with full manual control
Now you don't need to surrender control when you shoot HD movies. Enjoy the full expressive potential of Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual (P/A/S/M) control in HD movie mode.

World's first OLED viewfinder
There's never been anything quite like the Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder. For size, speed and brightness even after sunset, this is a gem. This eye-level, through-the-lens, viewfinder begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail.

Tiltable 3.0" LCD
Sony's 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further. Tilts down 45° and up 80° to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss.

BIONZ image processor
The brain of the camera is a Sony's BIONZ image processor substantially upgraded for the demands of 24.3 megapixel photography. Chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 16000 sensitivity.