NEX-VG20 in November - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: NEX-VG20 in November

IMO, the specs on the VG 20 indicate that Sony is signalling that they are committed to keeping the VG model in their big chip camera line up, and that they intend on keeping it competitive going forward.
I couldn't be more pleased with the VG20 features. It does lack XLRs, but otherwise has an awful lot of what the FS 100 offers.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #17
HDV Cinema

With most wireless receivers using a mini-plug, Sony may be smart to not worry about XLRs. It makes so much sense to eliminate cables running to talent or to a boom mic.

Unfortunately, it still has the flat buttons that one can't see. For right-handers reaching over to the touch-screen is a real pain. So it's still not going to be fun to use.

Looking at the NEX-7. I'm still interested in what it MAY offer. But, the VG20 may be impossible to beat features for video.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #18
Major Player

The VG20 & the FS-100 have the same size chip -- the dimensions are identical for the 16:9 format. Whilst true the FS-100 chips is vertically taller by a couple of millimetres, that is irrelevant unless shooting in some mode that uses a frame other than 16:9. Comparing like shooting formats, the chips are the same.

In other words, the same lens on both cameras would give the same angle of view.

I haven't compared the devices, except using their spec sheets, but I did read here and elsewhere suggestions the chip were different sizes and thought to 'correct' that claim.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Major Player

I am surprised that this release is not getting more attention. I am chomping at the bit to see these in stock.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Considering that the onboard Mic arrangement is supposed to offer superior results, and this is designed for "run and gun", they may just not have figured XLR's were needed.

This definitley raises more interest than the VG10, and given the NEX7 is at about the same price point, going to offer some serious "decision making" skills to sort out which is "better" - offhand the NEX are optimized towards stills, while the VG is the large chip VIDEO camera... Sony is really offering a lot of bang for the HD buck at ALL levels right now (including full HD capable P&S at $200), it is really surprising they aren't getting more attention!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Little View Post
I am chomping at the bit to see these in stock.
I am chomping at the bit to see real reviews & footage from production units.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #22
Trustee

Little bit of a and a little bit of b for me - some of the promo footage ("Northern Territory") looked very very good to me. I also saw some footage shot in Germany that looked very good, including some very nice shots of the sky - shots which would have probably turned my Canon T2's brain into mush.

I like that it has an above average mic/sound system. I had a Canon XL1 way back in the day, and I still miss how well that sucker would capture sound - I have no doubts the VG20 will do the same. Wish it had just ONE little XLR input, but what ya gonna do?

Of course it's all about the production model footage. If there's some nasty little surprise waiting out there, then I wouldn't jump. But Sony - a company I have tried very hard to avoid for it's bad rep in dealing with indie film makers and (IMO) overpriced gear - seems to have finally seen the light. The days of $100,000 cameras are on the way out.

The VG20 has the potential to steal a whole lot of thunder from Panny and Canon if there's not some crippling defect in it (and assuming there's not a "pure form video cam" coming from Canon in the shape of the Mark III).
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'd been skeptical of the E mount, simply because it was a "new" venture... but looking at the NEX7, which is a lot cheaper than I thought, or even the NEX5n, not to mention the VG20 makes me think it's worth another look.

I'm shocked at how little "buzz" Sony is getting from their latest releases, the new 24+ megapixel SLT's (A65 and A77) look pretty good (if the heat problems are solved, 29 minute clips would be pretty sweet).

Not to mention that they are now producing a second generation A mount adapter with the translucent mirror tech for auto focus capability, so there's a boatload of old glass out there, and the short flange of the E mount means you can also adapt just about any lens ever made...

For all the lack of buzz, this latest round of announcements looks like Sony listened to all the feedback and threw in the kitchen sink instead of doing the usual "give a little, leave some out for next year" approach.

60p, full manual control, longer record times, better low light performance, RAW for stills (if you're a photographer it makes sense), focus assists, touch screen interfaces for the things they work well for... lots of really seriously intriguing features this time around!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Trustee

"For all the lack of buzz, this latest round of announcements looks like Sony listened to all the feedback and threw in the kitchen sink instead of doing the usual "give a little, leave some out for next year" approach."

Boy, you said it Dave. For the first time that I can remember, Sony is actually trying to get the indie film maker/event shooter. A couple of other people have mentioned the lack of hype for Sony. I think part of it is def a reluctance to embrace a company who has, for so long, ignored the low budget shooter.

People might be shocked. But the people these cams are aimed at - us - are listening,,, and so are Canon and Panny (JVC seems far, far behind the curve at this point),

Once more footage gets out there, I think you'll start to see a groundswell of positive feedback. One more note - I am positively fascinated by the Emount - that mount proves beyond any other thing that Sony is no longer totally paranoid about losing sales to glass makers. They - I believe - have seen the synergy that Canon was able to develop with indies in the last two years and with the Emount and this "2nd gen" of large chip sensor cams, seem poised to take it over.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The Japanese translated spec sheet on this camera indicates HDMI out. Also and indication that it is HD out. Can we hope this means clean HDMI for those looking to capture higher bit rate through add on units ?
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #26
Trustee

I have read that the VG10 HDMI output is clean...
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #27
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
"(JVC seems far, far behind the curve at this point),
It seems unless a company can match Sony's big chip technology they don't have a real shot. Pana will try, but no matter how nice their camera, unless they can build a chip like Sony, they will not do well.

JVC has the option of buying Sony sensors -- if Sony sells them. For example, as Sony moves to 24MP they could do well with today's 16MP sensors. Actually, JVC would do well with last year's 14MP sensor.

Their alternative -- one we know they going toward -- is to provide 2K4K resolution ahead of everyone else. This is the non-3D path into the future for Japan and hence for us. The BBC is going to be experimenting with 8K4K -- and NHK is doing the same in Japan. So as absurd as 4K2K seems this summer, over the next year it will be introduced.

Since JVC already has 2 cameras the shoot 4K2K at 60p -- shooting at 24p is EZ. Without access to Sony chips JVC will only have the DOF possible with a 1/2" chip, but one has to wonder how long a shallow DOF will be an "in" look. To me it already looks old.

For JVC and Pana what they really need is chips with much greater sensitivity and far less noise. To me, size isn't as important. :)
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Trustee

"Since JVC already has 2 cameras the shoot 4K2K at 60p -- shooting at 24p is EZ. Without access to Sony chips JVC will only have the DOF possible with a 1/2" chip, but one has to wonder how long a shallow DOF will be an "in" look. To me it already looks old."

Smaller chip sizes are great for docs, news gathering, and sports (providing that it's day/brightly lit). But for narrative work, the larger sizes aren't going anywhere. I shot my last movie, VAMPIRELAND on a JVC GYU100. Two huge flaws - big depth of field, and needed bunches of light (not so good for a horror story).

I loved the cam - still one of the best looking cameras ever made IMHO, but as soon as I got my hands on a Canon T2i, the JVC was out the door. That ability to selectively choose focus is to narrative film directors as a spot light is to a theatre director - it allows you to force the audience to watch one particular actor or set of action.

Large chip sets aren't going anywhere - for one thing, they just arrived (literally only 3 years ago). And while 4K is the future, it's the distant future. One of the reason why 3D for the home has failed to take hold (besides the glasses) is that people had just invested in 720/1080 sets. Canada is only now (well, in 1 day) going to high Def. TV stations/cable companies/sat providers have all just invested millions in new equipment, but you'll still see plenty of news gathering done with SD cameras. Remember that many big networks still only broadcast in 720 - and have no plans on upgrading soon.

Certainly no internet provider wants to see 4K tv shows or movies, I can promise you that. 4K will be nice, but not at the expense of that creamy DOF most DPs/directors long for. Bottom line is that no TV stations require 4K - or even 2K - masters, and likely won't for years to come. The internet certainly doesn't need that sort of resolution, and in 10 years that's where many people will be watching all of their media content.
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #29
Major Player

"Canada is only now (well, in 1 day) going to high Def. TV stations/cable companies/sat providers have all just invested millions in new equipment, but you'll still see plenty of news gathering done with SD cameras."

Much of what you say I agree with, but at the very least the sentence I've quoted is confusing: Canada has of course long enjoyed HD signals over cable and broadcast -- what is happening Sept 01 2011 is analog broadcast is being discontinued. Not everywhere, but in big centres. With everywhere else due to follow ... Digital only, from now on.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #30
Trustee

R Geoff - that was my meaning. CBC, TVO, and other large market Canadian networks are making the OTA transition to digital Sept 1st (TVO actually made the switch about 10 days ago).

I was not aware that any network beside TVO was already broadcasting HD signals OTA in Canada (I live just outside of Detroit so I receive a great many Canadian stations).
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900