DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   NEX-VG20 Review from Slashcam Deutschland (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/501689-nex-vg20-review-slashcam-deutschland.html)

Bill Bruner October 17th, 2011 03:02 AM

NEX-VG20 Review from Slashcam Deutschland

Original: http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/...er-Anlauf.html

Translation: http://translate.google.com/translat...er-Anlauf.html

The moire on the ISO chart and lack of alternate picture profiles are a little disappointing.

Still interested in it, though, for the headphone jack, manual audio gain and 60p.

Looks like GH2 video image quality still rules.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Les Wilson October 17th, 2011 05:41 AM

Re: NEX-VG20 Review from Slashcam Deutschland

Neither link works for me.

Bill Bruner October 17th, 2011 06:36 AM

Sorry, Les. Links should be fixed.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

John Vincent October 17th, 2011 10:37 AM

Bill, thanks for posting these (new links worked for me). It wasn't a terribly exhausting review, but it's certainly a start.

Interestingly, the lack of presets or adjustable gamma curves seems to be their biggest negative. While I'm not a huge fan of the super-flat scene file technique (it's an awful lot of grading to do for a full length film), I would like some decent presets at least.

Steve Mullen October 18th, 2011 03:57 PM

The review assumes the target market to be those creating Indie movies like those shooting with DSLRs.

Don't take this the wrong way, but IMHO Sony understands the VG20 is for those who want to buy a camcorder that let's them feel they are an Indie filmmaker. (If you have a budget for actors, etc. you have the budget for an FS100 or better yet an AF100.)

This is why they include Cinegamma. This curve has always emulated what Sony thinks its buyers will think looks like film. Which basically means it looks different than their video gamma.

The question IS -- which curve to use that minimizes the amount of post CC you need to do?

The real question for me is does the knee fully prevent blown highlights? The VG10 did not. Lowering exposure is NOT a solution!

=======================

Given the VG20 has fully manual mode -- I've finally had time to play with my Pana FZ100. After setting MANUAL mode, I set shutter-speed to 1/60th. Next I set aperture to almost open (for minimal DOF) or to f/8 [the min is f/11] (for max DOF) or f/5 (for max clarity). Now I press the shutter button half way and I see a light meter. Using its reading I adjust the Vario ND filter to get "proper" exposure. Presto -- I/m good to shoot 720p60.

The Pana also has "Sony's" one-touch AF. Or, I can press the AE/AF button to set and lock both.

It will be interesting to see how EZ it is to use a VG20 with a Vario ND filter.

Bill Bruner October 19th, 2011 02:30 AM

Steve - the question for me is - why is it taking Sony so long to get the VG20 into the hands of UK or North American reviewers? German reviewers have it, Japanese reviewers have it, but Sony doesn't seem to be interested in getting pre-release buzz started in the Anglophone world.

The camera is due in a few weeks, but you wouldn't know it from Sony's marketing.

Contrast this with the NEX-7 - similar release date, but we've already seen previews from Luminous Landscape, Steve Huff and dpreview.

C'mon, Sony. If you haven't already, please provide some of the more respected review sites, bloggers and shooters with pre-release copies of the camera! (if no one comes immediately to mind, please see the link to my blog below ;-))

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Steve Mullen October 19th, 2011 03:57 AM

I suspect it is because to release in the USA requires a far larger batch of camcorders than anywhere else. So review units will go out closer to when a reasonable volume of units ARE available.

Of course, we USA posters have proven to be a tough bunch so perhaps Sony wants to be sure the kinks are out. And, it is easier to recall 100 units rather than 10,000 units if necessary.

I'm more concerned that many/most NLEs will not accept AVCHD 2.0!

PS: I also found a F2.8 Alpha lens was necessary for shooting in a room with 120W of lighting.

Bill Bruner October 22nd, 2011 04:21 PM

Japanese site VideoSalon has now posted a 1080p NEX-VG20 test: NEX-VG20??????????????? - YouTube

Sony - please get this camera into the hands of US/UK/AUS/NZ reviewers!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2011 11:15 PM

This, plus the other videos from Sony, show zero fine detail. Everything looks air brushed. Even when in focus, skin shows no sign of being real. Looks like Sony has eliminated anti-aliasing by shoving video through a low-pass filter!

Got to agree with the "looks like crap" review. (Which showed the same SOFT pix look.)

PS: when did shooting out-of-focus and over-exposed become the way to get Sony to loan you equipment? I remember, when folks wanted to be filmmakers and no longer wanted to shoot video.

Chris Barcellos October 23rd, 2011 12:36 AM

Agree with you on that one Steve.... Certainly didn't do any good for us thinking about this camera.

Bill Bruner October 23rd, 2011 01:13 AM

Always dangerous to assess camera performance based on YouTube compressed video (but I'm going to do it anyway ;-))

Comparing the VideoSalon video to the Sony Northern Territory video and the Swiss Video Academy First Look Review, my guess is that the Japanese test was probably flattened in post to create an over-exposed, smoothed-out, washed out look. I don't personally like this style, but I don't think it's the camera.

And on my screen at 1080p, I saw plenty of detail in closeups on the VideoSalon model's skin -- especially at 1:25, 1:48 [and later]. So the detail was there, but it appears to me that the filmmaker chose to minimize it in the longer shots.

I also looked for moire in the pattern on her sweater, but did not see it.

Again, none of this will really be resolved until we see some uncompressed video from objective reviewers.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Dave Blackhurst October 23rd, 2011 01:39 AM

Take ANY piece of technology, put it in the "right" hands and it will look like a steaming pile of carp...

I've always been surprised at how many times the review sites miss one little tweak or another that makes a camera look "bad", when it's really not. Some are worse than others, but ultimately you have to get your hands on whatever the whatchamajigger is in person and take the time to figure out how to get the most out of it...

I've seen a lot of negativity on the NEX7, and apparently the firmware isn't even 100% dialed in yet... it'll still sell like hotcakes. The VG20, maybe not so much - I've seen some used VG10's going cheap enough I'm tempted just to get the 18-200 lens to get a (big) toe into the E mount water.

John McCully October 23rd, 2011 01:45 AM

Good points, Bill; I do agree except that I though it quite nice; artsy if you will and of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Out-of-focus over-exposed is fashionable these days and this clip does that in spades. I certainly would not rubbish the camera on the basis of this piece, indeed no, yet nor would I place an order.

We shall just have to wait and see...

Steve Mullen October 23rd, 2011 05:09 PM

I agree about judging from Utube video, but my concern comes from no samples that have the detail I want and expect. There is just no FINE detail in the hair or the face. I fear a low-pass filter is the key to eliminating aliasing.

Chris Barcellos October 23rd, 2011 09:51 PM

The shots at 3:11, 3;54 and 4:19 give some idea about detail capabilities. I think a lot is lost in the conversion for YouTube, but if you look close, you can still see details of leaves in background. I am guessing this was shot with sharpness turned down, and of course the over exposure through about 90% of the film helps nothing at all. I think shooter wanted to get everything in shallow depth of field, and was therefore willing to over expose....