DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Nice Images from the VG 20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/502040-nice-images-vg-20-a.html)

Dror Levi October 26th, 2011 06:23 PM

Nice Images from the VG 20

I just happen to see it on vimeo.
It is some impressive footage from the VG20.

Bill Bruner October 26th, 2011 09:48 PM

Re: Nice Images from the VG 20

...and here is the post that goes with it (translated from French).

Really looking forward to seeing this camera in the hands of an English-language reviewer.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

John Vincent October 27th, 2011 08:47 AM

Right on Bill - it's so strange that this camera's not gotten reviewed from England/someone on this side of the pond.

This camera's due to hit shelves in what, three weeks? Is Sony acting like movie studios who won't preview a bad movie for critics, or simply getting the cameras out a little late (which I could given the number of new cameras + lenses, plus the flood in Thailand)?

Dave Blackhurst October 27th, 2011 03:32 PM

Not sure where they produce the VG20, but if it's in Thailand, yep, there be trouble....

Somehow I suspect that the popularity of the NEX5N could be stressing their supply of sensors, since they use the same one - Sony has a bit of a challenge with some of the ALREADY reviewed cameras being "hits", may be more than they expected, no sense in knocking the cover off another ball when they already are celebrating the "wins".

I'm also sure they are trying logistically to balance the NEX7, which by all accounts is a video monster, and while it doesn't "directly" compete with the VG, I'd be surprised if people aren't considering which fits their "wants" better. I'm strongly leaning towards the NEX7, and it'd be a no-brainer if there were a "NEX6" with the 16Mpixel sensor in the 7 body and ergonomics...

I liked the VG10, but way too many boxes left unchecked, and I think that was a common conclusion - the VG20 looks better, checks more boxes, and certainly looks more interesting. BUT, at 4x the cost of a NEX5N, and significantly more than the NEX7 (probably mostly due to the 18-200 lens?)... I suspect the VG will remain a "niche" camera, and that may well be where Sony wants it.

Bill Bruner October 27th, 2011 03:37 PM

I really don't understand it. When they were rolling out the FS100, they go it into the hands of English-speaking reviewers early. There were elsewhere, preproduction video from people like
and
, and blog posts with tidbits of information from people like Lennie and Philip Bloom. With the NEX-VG20, all we have are a few Japanese, German and French previews, and some unauthorized hands-on "reviews" shot at trade shows (posted by people who admit to not liking camcorders). I know that the FS-100 is marketed by another division, but this is ridiculous.

Steve Mullen October 27th, 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1692019)
I'm strongly leaning towards the NEX7, and it'd be a no-brainer if there were a "NEX6" with the 16Mpixel sensor in the 7 body and ergonomics...

Somehow 24MP has to get down to 2MP!

I wonder what the crop factor is for video? I also wonder if row and column skipping will be used. And, the OLPF for 24MP photos simply will not match video. Note the aliasing on the white cat's whiskers on the VG20 video!

I think it may be necessary to wait until all have been reviewed in DETAIL in terms of video.

Bill Bruner October 28th, 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 1689757)
Note the aliasing on the white cat's whiskers on the VG20 video!

You have great eyes, Steve. I didn't notice it until I went back and looked for it. But there was none in the zebra stripes, the fences, or any of the other patterns that I could detect.

Again, though, I'd like to see a thorough English language review before I reach any conclusions on the VG20 and moire/aliasing (preferably a review that includes side-by-side comparisons with the VG10, the other Sony NEXs, the Canons, and the GH2).

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bill Bruner October 29th, 2011 02:13 AM

Thierry Philippon's full review. Again, translated from French.

One week to release date - has anyone seen an English language review?

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

John Vincent October 29th, 2011 12:09 PM

Looks like those reviews will have to wait until the camera actually hits the shelves...

Which you have to think is not a great sign.