VG-20H in stock at Sony Style - USA - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: VG-20H in stock at Sony Style - USA

@TODD...

I doubt it too.
B&H "typically" prints legit info on their products, because of their "no questions ask" return policy.
I have NOT heard back from them regarding the spec as of 11/25. Anxious to hear yes or no.

Will post their response.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Over at the Sony Style forum, I posted a question about the missing features, and asking if they would be updating with firmware. The post seems to have dissappeared from general view, though I can access it by searching for my own posts. That was posted on 22nd. I made a new post with the same question, a couple of days ago, and that seems to be accessible still, Had a few views, but no response from a moderator. Meanwhile, I have found same specs in another location.

I don't get why it is still up if Sony knows the issue.
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #18
New Boot

I don't know how they can get away with not delivering what they have advertised. The specs are the same on Sony Style Canada and major Canadian Online dealers as well, so not limited to USA. This is obviously the material as supplied by Sony. There are some specs they have defined as Photo Mode only, but not the 6 styles and 8 white balances that is the crux of the issue, there is no reason why this should not be available to video mode.

If they would just set it up so you can roll video from within photo mode so you can match the settings of the 5n I would seriously consider one of each. The more simplified video menu is fine for run and gun, but for narrative work you need more control.
Curtis Campsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Major Player

This is all strange indeed...
My gut feeling is they will change the firmware to
the specifications as advertised. The initial release was rushed out the door to make delivery commitments, in my opinion.
I'm hoping that's the case anyway, because I really would like to have the camera to match my Sony 5N.

Jeff
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #20
New Boot

I can't see this being resolved in the next few days, more likely January or later. By that time the Consumer Electronics show and other announcements will be out and we'll be able to see if there is any competition on the horizon for this type of high end consumer product.

The current status is incomprehensible to me, other than maybe rushed out before it was ready. From all I've read and seen the 5n is a big time winner for what it is, the vg20 should be everything the 5n is and more, not less for 3x the price.

I'm in limbo at the moment. I'd spring for a 5n in an instant and save for the vg20 if I knew it was going to deliver, but I need the A-cam more than the b. I don't want to extend my credit into the $5000 range just to get a 'real' video camera with a screen that shows the same image before you roll record as after.
Curtis Campsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
@TODD...

I doubt it too.
B&H "typically" prints legit info on their products, because of their "no questions ask" return policy.
I have NOT heard back from them regarding the spec as of 11/25. Anxious to hear yes or no.

Will post their response.

Jeff
Jeff,

Have you heard yet from B&H?
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I talked to Customer relations yesterday, trying to find out if there was any thing on the horizon in terms of fixing the camera. They had no knowledge of anything. They said I had 30 days from purchase to return, if unsatisfied with camera. That will be tomorrow, for me.

Though I stated I will probably keep it, I am still weighing things. I may request an RA by tomorrow.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #23
Major Player

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; November 29th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #24
Major Player

B&H would not verify the "color" presets are available in both video and stills mode.
They cut me short and told me to read the manual. hahaha

Screw it...........I will wait for the firmware update...if it happens.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; November 29th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #25
Regular Crew

The NEX-FS100UK has a huge firmware update in January coming out for $0. I'd guess something similar for the VG-20 is in the works as well.

Scott Caplan
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #26
Major Player

@Scott...

There's no way Id buy the VG20 at this point. Shady marketing IMO, to say the least. I cant believe a major distributor is "going along" with Sony's reluctance to clear the mud. How long would it take to fire-up the VG20 and post the "truth" about the camera? I think all who have spent hours reporting reviews on the 20 should bill Sony for their time.

Mr. Grumpy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900