DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Sony VG 20 seems to resolve better and suffer less aliasing that 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/502561-sony-vg-20-seems-resolve-better-suffer-less-aliasing-5d.html)

Chris Barcellos November 10th, 2011 04:20 PM

Sony VG 20 seems to resolve better and suffer less aliasing that 5D

2 Attachment(s)
My main camera right now is the 5D Mark II. Today is printed of a chart just to compare the two.

First, I used two Nikon lenses that should be similar in resolving power, to give the cameras the same field of view. The Canon had the Nikon non AI 50mm F1.4 lens, set to F 5.6. The Sony had the Nikon non AI 35mm F 2.0 set to F 5.6. I did have to pull the Canon back a bit to reach critical focus...probably about 6 inches. A

I shot video files from each initially static, then panning. I dragged files into Vegas and grabbed frames to compare. The ones attached are typical. During the panning part of the test, it was clear that the Canon was aliasing so much more that the Sony.

Send me PM email from site and I will give you a link to a YouSendit file if you want to download the chart videos. About 130 megs apiece.

Tom Roper November 10th, 2011 07:18 PM

Re: Sony VG 20 seems to resolve better and suffer less aliasing that 5D

Thanks for posting these. I have the 5D MkII as well, and I do not consider it usable for video. It's horrid, and I think I was the first to post about its aliasing problem because I would have never purchased it if I had known about that problem from other reports. It is a great still camera DSLR, and I have some great L lenses to go with it since I had the original 5D (non video) at the time.

Quite honestly, aliasing is the big worry I had about the VG20 as well, but from your grabs above it seems well controlled, doesn't look like a problem. I think it should be your "A" camcorder and not look back.

I am considering the VG20, in spite of the omission of some important features that you have first reported. This would be my second 1080/60p cam, my first the Panasonic TM900 is very sharp, brilliant in many ways, the NX70 has a few more features, lacks some others to be worthy of upgrading at it's price point. I don't think it offers much more substantively except for the xlr/audio and weather sealing, and appears to have the same software feature set as the VG20, so why not just get the VG20 with its APS HD sensor. (As long as it doesn't have the dreaded aliasing!)

Bill Bruner November 11th, 2011 02:38 AM

Re: Sony VG 20 seems to resolve better and suffer less aliasing that 5D

Thanks, Chris. Moire/aliasing was one of the reasons I got rid of my Canon (T2i) and went with the GH2. But I still need a headphone jack and full manual audio level control. You've just about convinced me that the VG20 is the right still/video camera at the right price point, at least for me.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution