Is the VG20 chatter over? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Is the VG20 chatter over?

Seems all the excitement over the release of the VG20 has dwindled to a whisper.

I think most of us were anticipating much more than we received. Due mainly to the great reviews, comments and video/stills provided by forum members, I can now relax and wait to see what other mfg's offer in the coming months. Not that I've totally ruled out the VG20 as a purchase, but I think a "wait for a while" is in order.

Many thanks to all for your posts.
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is the VG20 chatter over?

It certainly dimmed a lot of interest.

Just very bad form from Sony, no matter how you slice it. Sony seems to billing this as a marketing SNAFU, but the fact is that it's totally logical for the VG20 to have the same feature set as the VG10, and 5n - both of which are cheaper (and of course the VG20 is a direct sequel to the 10).

I might still end up getting one, but I still want to see a full blown review - now more then ever. If it had the features as advertised, I'd have already bought one.

As is, I'm going to have to see some pretty glowing reviews - and some sort of public comment from Sony as to how this happened in the first place.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
It certainly dimmed a lot of interest.

Just very bad form from Sony, no matter how you slice it. Sony seems to billing this as a marketing SNAFU, but the fact is that it's totally logical for the VG20 to have the same feature set as the VG10, and 5n - both of which are cheaper (and of course the VG20 is a direct sequel to the 10).
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Totally agree John. I would have purchased already also.

If the VG20 was a "camcorder version" of my Nex 5N...I may have purchased two.

I wonder if the new Nex 7 will have the same feature set as the VG20?. A lot of folks will be disappointed if it does.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Major Player

But....then I see this footage

SONY NEX VG20 DAYLIGHT TEST - Sony NEX-VG10 and NEX-VG20 User Group on Vimeo

Near the end the tester compares Cinematone and Standard settings.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

nex-vg20 low light test... - Sony NEX-VG10 and NEX-VG20 User Group on Vimeo
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

hummm...looks pretty good to me.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900