I think the Nex 7, instead of the VG20? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: I think the Nex 7, instead of the VG20?

I recently saw a video shot in the late evening with the NEX 5, and noticed that when headlights were in the video, there was an inverted reflection of a different color off to one side. It was very prominent and distractive. Is this phenomenum(sp) normal with all video cams?
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Likely lens flare - will be lens dependent, or can come from a filter mounted in hopes of achieving some other purpose...

Basically it's your standard "reflection" off of one glass surface, bouncing onto another glass surface, creating a "ghost" image that is then picked up by the sensor, which doesn't get to pick and choose what's in the field of view coming through the glass...

And it's a potential problem with ANY camera when faced with strong light sources entering the lens, to varying degrees. Coatings and lens configurations can REDUCE or practically eliminate the problem, thus why you see it with some cameras/lenses more than others.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #33
Major Player

Duh. Sometimes I feel so stupid. Of course it is lens flare, I should've know that. Thanks for the refresher.
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
I certainly appreciate all of the testing and information that Chris has provided - but it is interesting that there have been several hands-on English language reviews/previews of the NEX7 (a camera that is not shipping yet), and zero English language reviews/previews of the NEX-VG20, a camera that has been shipping for several weeks!

A few examples of what's out there on the NEX7, which Sony very helpfully provided to widely-read sites prior to the ship date:

DC Resource review: Sony Alpha NEX-7 Review | Digital Camera Resource Page
The Camera Store (Canada) video hands-on field test: https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/...nds-field-test
Luminous Landscape first impressions report: Sony NEX-7 First Impressions

I will make my purchase decision (GH3, VG20 or NEX7) in a few months, so it's not a crisis -- but Sony's seeming disinterest in marketing this camera is frustrating and hard to figure.
I hate to sound like a broken record, and it's a little embarrassing to quote myself - but I've been doing some research and this situation is also very different from the rollout of the VG10, which was announced on July 13th, 2010 and shipped on September 10th, 2010.

In August 2010, Luminous Landscape published this field report

On August 18th, Digital Camera Review published this first look review.

On August 23rd, Canadian retailer, The Camera Store posted a hands-on review video with sample footage.

These early reviews were posted because Sony put the camera into the hands of well-known English-language sites. Something they are not doing this time around.

I don't care whether it's incompetence or some sort of strategic decision about cannibalizing other products, potential customers need more information on the VG20. I am seriously planning to rent the camera and review it myself.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; November 26th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #35
Major Player

@ Bill......

Renting is a good idea. Let me know if you find rentals available. I think Chris, said he is keeping his VG20 for renting out. You may check with him.

As Ive posted I own the NEX 5N and its fabulous. But....it's not a video camera, nor will the Nex 7.
The VG20 as spec'd would have been the perfect combo to the 5N or 7. Look at the potential Sony would have selling the VG20 to both the consumer and semi-pro shooters. Seems to me it could be thousands of units.

Oh well..will hold off purchasing for now. Im sure Canon and others are watching the threads and planning to fill the gap.

p.s. Got my first "prime" lens for my 5N (50mm 1.2) and the cheap adapter from China. It works perfectly..blew me away. Talking about shallow D.O.F. !

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Today I am shooting a film for the DVChallenge charity event here at DVInfo. I will be using the VG20 only, so I will get a good feel for how its going to work in shoot and post production.

Haven't started renting yet, I am still trying to get some kind of response out of Sony. In response to a new email support request, I got a referral to customer relations. I will try talking to them on Monday.
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #37
Major Player

Good luck on your shoot Chris please keep us informed
Jeff
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
...The VG20 as spec'd would have been the perfect combo to the 5N...
Looks like it might be. Here is a nice little film shot on the VG20 and 5N -- from Martin Tank in the Netherlands:

Hope this is helpful, Jeff.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:01 AM   #39
Major Player

Thanks that did look good.
It matched perfectly with the five and that's exactly what I want to do

I'm going to hold off till after the first of the year
Thanks for posting the link

Jeff
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #40
Major Player

I shot my first Event (Christmas parade) using the Nex 5N...my first experience shooting an event with a DSLR.

I have to confess using the 5N and a small rig made shooting the event a pure pleasure. Ive always lugged around a XHA1 or other heavy camcorder, a tripod and other accessories. Today I had my near weightless 5N with kit lens, a belt clip with a 16mm,extra battery and disks. I shot the parade assembly with interviews, and then went street side to shoot clips as the parade passed by.

It was sooooo easy to hold, move around, and not the least tired after 2 hrs of moving and shooting. The video on the LED looked beautiful. Shot all in manual, and had no problem making small adjustments to exposure and focus. I used the LCD the whole time in bright sunlight and had no problem seeing well enough to focus using the peaking function. The "flip up/down" lcd screen was a God send. It allowed shooting from over head to below waist shots and still view the screen. I should have took my extending monopod for even higher angles.

I think this experience has convinced me, for my use, the DSLR may be the way to go...especially the Sony 5N and 7N. Those that complain about the weight of lugging the 5D around, must have never used a Canon XHA1 ha. I could carry 3 or 4.. 5Ns and still be comfortable. Even though I might look a little silly. ha

Jeff

Will post some stills of the video tomorrow.

my 2 cents,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; December 4th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #41
Major Player

Thanks for the 5N field report, Jeff. Very useful. How was the in-camera audio? Did you use the internal mic for the interviews or an SST1? Or did you use an external recorder?

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Major Player

I think the audio was as good as any built-in mic on any camcorder Ive used...XHA1 & GL1.
If I were shooting for a client, a good shot-gun or lapel mic would have been used.

jeff
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
...If I were shooting for a client, a good shot-gun or lapel mic would have been used...
Thanks, Jeff. But how would you get the sound from the shotgun or lapel mic into the 5N? I thought it had a proprietary hotshoe-based external mic input that only takes the

? Or does it have a standard mic input jack?

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #44
Major Player

hahah....I should have read my own post. Yes that would be a problem.

I would expect someone to make an XLR adapter cable for the 5N...or a DIY video will appear soon. Shouldnt be that hard to make.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #45
HDV Cinema

Good luck waiting. Sony puts an IC into each plug-in that tells the camera what's mounted. It's been over a year and nothing.

That's a good reason to go with the 7.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900