Question for VG10 owners. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 26th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Question for VG10 owners.

The VG10 and 20 are the only cameras with interchangeable lenses that I can afford....and I want one to use with my NEX 5N camera. I just cant decide if I should go ahead and get the VG20, or the VG10.

From what you've heard regarding the limited capabilities of the VG20 firmware, and your experience using the VG10....

Would you rather keep your VG10 or have the VG20?

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Hinson; November 26th, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Question for VG10 owners.

Essentially, the VG10 is a very poor camera in both sensitivity, noise, and limited to 25P or 30P. I use mine as an emergency back up camera, as I shoot with EX1's. The up side for me is the long record time with a single 32 gb card and a fat battery.

The VG20 with 50P/60P, increased sensitivity, and lower noise, makes it a great little camera, even with the "missing" feature set -

I would buy NEX5's but they simply cannot cope with their small batteries and short record times. (29mins)

Granted, I work with live music recording and need long record times, so for me the VG20 will fit the bill.

I would certainly not recommend the VG10 to anyone, things really have moved on.

Paul :-)
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Question for VG10 owners.

@ Paul...

Thanks for the comment.

I too want to shoot more music vids. Not live, but lip-sync'ed to the groups recordings. I could shoot entire music vids just using my NEX 5N. For introducing "live" clips I have my XHA1 Canon...20x zoom and full control over video.

Im convinced the VG10 is not for me.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900