My Review of the VG20 Posted at Sony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

My Review of the VG20 Posted at Sony

I posted this review of the Sony VG20 at Sony Style. It will be interesting to see if this spurs any actions. One month have I pointed out the error in the advertizing, it is still up. Here is review I posted.

Great Promises from Sony, Failure to Deliver

Date:November 29, 2011

Pros: Return to handycam format form DSR, great low light and great image generally.

Cons: No manual control over contrast, saturation and sharpness.

I probably was one of the first to have this camera in the US. I bought this camera because of its large image sensor, its potential for great low light performance, and potential for great image. When I received camera, initial shots were very promising. Then I started to look for the advertized saturation, sharpness and contrast controls supposedly in the Scenes Selection menu, but it is not there as advertized in Sony Style page. As a matter of fact, there is no Scene Selection Menu at all. Neither were half of the white balance settings promised. Also, there was no dynamic range adjustment, again as advertized on Sony Style page. I have spent a month dealing with Sony support, hoping that the camera was going to be upgraded with firmware, because its image is so promising. I get no one willing to say Sony is going to do anything. Eventually, Sony support points me to Customer relations.

As it is, the camera is like driving a car that can only go straight. It shoots well in many circumstances, but it does not let you adjust some very important aspects of the image.

It is indeed strange, because the VG 10, and the less expensive Nex cameras have the capabilities. It is clear that Sony has decided to cripple this camera, probably because they want serious users to buy the expensive and overpriced NEXFS100.

And one months later, Sony is still advertizing the features as being in the camera.
I think I am going to have to return the unit to Sony and demand my money back. Sad day for me because I thought I was going to be back with Sony for a while.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: My Review of the VG20 Posted at Sony

Great post Chris...thanks for taking the time.
Hopefully, they will listen.
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Great work Chris. Checked B & H last night, and they also still have misleading information regarding the VG20 on their site.

Does Sony even have a US rep who checks on these things (as Panny does in the form of Jan Crittenden Livingston)?
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I am having this Jekyll - Hyde reaction to this camera. I did some editing on the initial footage last night. It was available light stuff in an unlighted living room, with northern exposure through a sliding glass door. Pool from outside cast a bit of a green color, but I was able to white balance easily. Shots were done with a "standard" fixed lens (Nikon 35mm F2.0) and they came out really nice looking. I will post some grabs. This is for a DVInfo contest with film submission due the 10th of December.

In this shoot I have green screen that is going to be a bit of a challenge, again because I was a one man crew, and just didn't have a lot of time to light properly because of talent commitments elsewhere, so we are going to really test the camera.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My review was just posted at Sony Style:

Interchangeable Lens HD Handycam Camcorder and Lens | SLT-A77VQ | Sony USA
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Major Player

haha...
Read it quick folks..it may not be there long. :>)

jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Now I'm confused - no mention of 28mbs - has it gone? are we limited to 24mbs now?

Paul :-)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

28 is in 60p only, from what I can tell.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Trustee

Last line in the footnotes contains a disclaimer, "Features and specifications are subject to change without notice."

So I think their obligation to you ends if they give you a refund. Doesn't mean you aren't entitled to have an opinion, but is probably worth mentioning.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Actually, consumer laws are different than that, and those disclaimers, especially if the advertizement is used to mislead the public and gain an unfair advantage in the market, are actionable-- at least here in California.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Trustee

Also, the camera's been out for over a month now, and it's still advertised as having those features - negating whatever effect the disclaimer might have had before it hit the market.

And for what it's worth, the review is still up...
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Inner Circle

60p bitrate is 28Mbps - higher bitrate for the additional "data" over 60i at 24 Mbps...

As far as being misleading, how many people read all the tiny print? Obviously Sony didn't <wink>, but the average buyer will pick it up, see if it takes a good video, and maybe skim the manual...

Of couse it's more problematic since this camera is GEARED to the enthusiast, who is more likely to notice when "less" is LESS, particularly if they bought into the NEX system via the NEX5n...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900