50mm f1.8 E-mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

50mm f1.8 E-mount

Has anyone gotten their hands on this yet?
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 50mm f1.8 E-mount

Well I guess I will have to be the guinea pig on this one. :-)
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, I was going to buy a VG10 camcorder and I also was going to get this lens, Im not sure if it will give me anymore advantages over the stock lens though. Have you got it yet because im intrested in whether its a good investment..
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I'm still in pre-order limbo. Its said on the sony rumors site that it is schedualed for release late Jan-mid Feb time frame now.

From what I have read on the lens, it sounds good. I'm sure there will be a big improvement for indoor/low light situations, which is what I have it coming for.
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, that sounds good at least. Also after doing my research I noticed that it had a lower f.stop hense more depth of field. Even in the new NEX-7 pdf it states that lens will give a really nice shallow depth of field so obviously it would work the same on the NEX-VG10
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Not to be pedantic, but 'more' depth of field [of focus] is caused by smaller apertures and higher F-stops -- the large aperture/low F-stop results in less depth of field. DOF and control of it is one of the advantages of the new, large chip imaging devices available today, but the science and application of depth of field is as old as photography itself, as is the language for describing it.

Some of us are almost old enough to remember the excitement that greeted increased depth of field -- there is an entire genre of film that embraced deep field of focus as an artistic advance, much to the surprize of all those embracing the reverse today ...

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Major Player

For $300, this looks like a great fast lens for a body-only VG20. With the 1.5 crop, I want something wider, though, at something less than

prices.

I'm sure this group has seen, but SLR Magic (Noktor) has announced a 23mm F1.7 (to accompany their previously announced 35mm F1.7,

and 28mm F2.8 E mount lenses). According to the press release, the 23mm F1.7 is supposed to ship in a few days (Jan '12).

I'm hoping to score one to review. I will let you know.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; December 28th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bill, a f0.95 is impressive but do we have OIS with that? The E-mount 50mm f1.8 is fast with OIS and AF (a quiet) AF so I've read. The DMF function is something I've come to rely on quite a bit, I know thats a short cut but its saved my rear a time or two.

If the SLR Magic lens's had all the function of the Sony E-mount I wouldn't wait on Sony anymore (Issue's in Japan this year aside). I can't believe the Dec. 14 ship date and then the mid Feb date. I'm vary open to another manufacture but I'm an outdoor guy and need to take advantage of some auto functions such as OIS and sometimes AF for "run and gun" shooting. The indoor work I need a faster prime for is event work, things like trade shows and such, which is just as much "run and gun" type shooting just low light.

I'd be very interested in your review of the SLR Magic though.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900