VG 20 choked off - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: VG 20 choked off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Just a random comment... not directed at anyone or any post, but I see this over and over.

How good a camera is can't be based on just it's image or worse, it's image in ideal circumstances. Isn't a camera that can be setup in 2 minutes better than one that takes 20? Or one that dials in exposure and focus in 10 seconds better than one that takes 2 minutes? Isn't a camera that can expose, follow focus and record great audio by one person better than one that takes 2 or 3? And so what if you can get an $800 DSLR to record something under certain conditions that looks as good as $2500 FF DSLR or $9000 film-corder? There's reasons why the VG20 is $1500 and the AF100 or FS-100 are $5000. If those things aren't important to you, it doesn't mean the cameras aren't better than a camera that costs half that or more. .... it just means is not better for you.

It's good to give feedback to manufacturers. In many ways, the VG-20 has improvements that were complaints about the VG-10. Having a large sensor in a camcorder body at $1500 isn't a right. To be fair, Sony's the only one out there giving it a shot. At that price it's the VG-20 or a DSLR. Choose your poison. You aren't going to get all the great things of the F3 in the FS-100 and ditto of the FS-100 in the VG-20. YMMV.
Very well written and reasoned. I agree with 99.9% of this, Les. It is a little frustrating, though, when manufacturers remove features while simultaneously increasing prices in order to protect products higher on the value chain - as Sony seems to have done between the VG10 and VG20.

Cheers and Best of the New Year,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Bill and Chris for your input. Interesting comments about the FS100 Chris. And thanks for the link Bill.

And thanks Les for your input. I'm a self-shooter who does a lot of video journlism here in Guatemala, so ease of use is really important to me. That's why I'm still surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss over this camera. I know it's not ideal for filmmaker types, but for people like me looking for a small, unobtrusive, large sensor, audio-capable, hand-holdable, zebra and peaking included camcorder, there aren't too many options ...

I used to shoot with a Sony A1E, then switched to the Panasonic GH1/2, which has made me a better videographer. And if I could combine the best of both cameras, well I'd be in heaven!!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

@Bill - yes losing functionality is disappointing. Imagine how Canon XH-A1 users felt with Canon's follow-on models having one sensor and one ring.

@Dave - Video journalism is a tough nut to crack. Seems to me you need the AF and AE of ENG cameras yet the ability to grab beauty shots for cut aways and B-roll. Frankly, if the VG20 doesn't cut it, the FS-100 is probably the closest thing. I believe it has one lens that gives you AF yet still delivers the beauty shots. I went the route of ENG plus DSLR to do both. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Bill, This is the narrative film we shot with the VG20 for the DVInfo charity challenge. All shot with this camera. ]
looks good. wondering about the motion artifacts - is that from encoding for Vimeo or does the original footage looks like that? what were the camera settings?

thanks, charlie
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Here is side by side footage from VG20 and FS100, referenced earlier in thread. I claim nothing scientific from these clips. Neither one of us had the time to get cameras set up as we normally would.

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for sharing, Chris.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Short Clip with Zeiss 2.0 100mm and the 18-200mm + 30db Shutter 1/50 Zeiss 1/20 SONY

I like the very quick acess to the Push Whitebalance

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30801792/GN.zip

Short Clip with 1.9 58mm Primoplakn +30 db 1/50

Singing Michael Stillwater 21.12.20111 Zuerich - YouTube

Trailer for" good new year" movie

GUETS NEUS -- schöö, wüescht, schööwüescht Silvesterklausen im Appenzellerland - YouTube
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Wireless Workaround Sound Delay

As I found out is the Live Sound from Camera terrible delayed on the headphone output. Handling noise is also present while zooming and touching the camcorder.
I work since 2 years with EMU Pipeline Wireless System,and tested if it is possible to use it with the Nex, It is working very well.
Headphone Monitoring is coming from the Reciever 3.5 mm Minijack. Parallel Cinch Output to the VG 20 Microphone Input. Dont crank up the volume Output Settings on the SONY. Very confusing the Volume for the headphone Output is corelated with the Recorded sound ! When the headphone Volume is high a lot of noise is in present on the Recording a BIG BUG not a feature. I have never seen something like this in my life.
Setting the Input Volume a bit less then half way up. The Tranciever is connected with SONY PCM 50 or Tascam DR 680. EMU Light Pipe LIne Input is very sensitiv, be carefull not to overload it.
It is is small light cheap, has internal power for 5 - 8 hours. Works only they way you feed it. Either SPDIF 48 kHz IN/OUT or Analog iIN/OUT not mixed! 5-8 Meters safe working distance, exeed it noise is coming later complete cutoff.

E-MU PIPEline Product Tour - YouTube

Not finished Rig
I mounted off axis, breathing was moving the camcorder up and down, Quick Release Plate Manfrotto Foam Grip left hand can control everything front & left side camcorder. Zoom with right hand. On the back Counterweight and a Silicon bend to shoulder
Attached Thumbnails
VG 20 choked off-5425.jpg   VG 20 choked off-5426.jpg  

Last edited by Werner Graf; January 5th, 2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: pics
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:53 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Registered the camcorder VG 20 and the Nex5 N Sony Site Switzerland

SONY don't wot any feeeback for the VG 20!!
It is not possible to give a statement.
But for the 5 it is very welcome.
This speaks for it self.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Trustee

I enjoy watching videos of middle-aged men playing with their toys, but I am less enamored with video that has severe motion artifacts that are *not* produced by the camera, by shaky-cam, and by poor exposure (the indoor backlit VG20 shots are under-exposed badly).

More importantly, tell us about those motion artifacts. Do you need editing advice?

I have shot video with my NEX-5N, which is identical in sensor and lens to the VG20, and my Vimeo videos (whatever else they may be worth) do not have this problem. Take a look at one (used 108060p):

This was shot with the 18-200mm video lens. Demonstrates dynamic range and motion tracking capabilities as well as the OSS, as everything was handheld.

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; February 23rd, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900