Will this battery work for the VG20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Trustee

Will this battery work for the VG20?

"The Sony NP-FV100 Rechargeable Camcorder Battery Pack (3900mAh, 8.4V) is a part of Sony's InfoLITHIUM V Series of batteries, designed as a replacement or spare for your compatible camcorder. This high capacity, long-lasting battery powers your camcorder longer than any other battery in the V series, and has a 15% capacity increase over the NP-FH100. And because it's InfoLITHIUM you'll be able to see the remaining battery life displayed on your camcorder's screen."

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671664-REG/Sony_NP_FV100_NP_FV100_Rechargeable_Battery_Pack.html
Likewise, does anyone have any experience with this charger (Sony - BC-TRV Travel Charger)?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671751-REG/Sony_BCTRV_BC_TRV_Travel_Charger.html
The next step up costs $90...
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Will this battery work for the VG20?

The "V" series should fit most of the current smaller Sony cams just fine (and I'm pretty sure that includes the VG20, wich I think ships with an FV70?), and will work on any older "Fx" (FP/FH) series cam - you can't use older batteries with newer cams, must use the current series, which is "FV". The FV series are pretty good batteries with good life, avoid the knockoffs though, which are out there (don't buy on eBay from China/HK sellers to start...).

Chargers are more universal, I've charged FP/FH/FV series on both the compact wall chargers (like the TRV, and the older version I can't remember the model #...). In fact, if you want a "bargain", instead of buying the current VQV10 double bay, just get the VQH10 from "last year". I use that model, and in fact have a couple I picked up cheap I may be cleaning out, if you're looking to save some $$.

I picked up a few TRV's and keep them scattered in my various cases since they are so compact, so I've always got recharge capability handy. Smaller and lighter than the "in cam charge/power" bricks!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can confirm that the NP-FV100 battery works with the VG20 - I ordered the battery with the camcorder.

The VG20 battery compartment seems to be especially designed to fully accommodate the NP-FV100.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys...

Tony, can you give an approximation of how long that battery lasts?
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Unusually for a Sony, the VG20 doesn't seem to give you a estimate of remaining battery life, possibly because it might depend on the lens you're using, but I've recorded a 2.5 hour show with the standard zoom and I'd guess you'd be able to get at least 3.5 continuous hours from the NP-FV100 at max bitrates, and possibly a lot more.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Anyone tried the pearstone brand on B&H? If even the Sony brand doesn't give you estimated battery life, it kind of negates the main advantage of going with oem batteries.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I bought this one at EBay from a seller in Fremont because I wanted quick delivery for a trip.

I got it today and it seems to work fine. A little bit of a tight fit, but on other hand, should rattle around.

BrandNew 3900mAh Battery NP-FV100 for Sony NEX-VG10E, NEX-VG20EH Camcorder | eBay

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900