DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   NEX 5N or 7 overheat issues... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/505347-nex-5n-7-overheat-issues.html)

Rafael Lopes October 17th, 2012 12:35 PM

Re: NEX 5N or 7 overheat issues...

I have absolutely no idea if this makes any sense or not but I´ve found a video on youtube of a guy saying he sort of stopped having problems with overheating with his NEX7 by using 95mbs sd cards. I remember having read a while ago that different sd cards have different temperatures, but I have no idea how hot these cards get.

I cannot post the video here because I´m firewalled but you can find it on this google search
https://www.google.com/#q=nex7+overh...w=1280&bih=709

Werner Graf October 22nd, 2012 09:44 AM

Go for the Nex 6...

Rafael Lopes October 22nd, 2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Graf (Post 1759932)
Go for the Nex 6...

Sure, I just have to find a way to hack the NEX6 to have 24mp and and drill a mic input into it.

Werner Graf October 23rd, 2012 12:53 AM

Drill baby Drill
:-)

Thomas Wong October 23rd, 2012 02:24 AM

just use a usb fan with external USB battery, and point the fan to the back when the screen lifted up, you can have non-stop recording

Steve Nunez October 23rd, 2012 04:38 AM

Just use a Sony Memory Stick 32 or 64 GB HS Duo Pro card- no more overheating (must use MS-HX series -non B type!)......do a Google search and you'll see it's a fix that has worked for many users.....I use them and have NO heating issues at all!

This was a concern for me as well until I've come across this fix and have implemented it myself.

Does the NEX6 have a Mic In jack?

Werner Graf October 23rd, 2012 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SONY NEX 6 have the n1 Multi-Interface Interface connector integrated @ Flash Shoe
Maybe it works with 800$ XLR-K1M Phantom XLR Adapter

Some sources says yes others denied it
1:30

Here an adapter for older stuff = SONY Bluetooth Wireless mic?
Sony Multi Interface Shoe Adapter | ADP-MAA | Sony USA

Sony also used a variety of other proprietary hotshoes for other digital cameras and camcorders, including the ISO-based 6-pin Cyber-shot hotshoe, the 16-pin Active Interface Shoe (AIS) and the ISO-based 16-pin Intelligent Accessory Shoe (IAS). Some of their NEX cameras used a proprietary Smart Accessory Terminal (versions 1 and 2). In September 2012, Sony announced a new ISO-based 21+2 pin Multi Interface Shoe for use with their future digital cameras and camcorders of the Alpha, NEX, Handycam, NXCAM and Cyber-shot series. This quick-lock hotshoe is mechanically and electrically compatible with a standard 2-pin ISO-518 hotshoe, but electrically compatible with the previous Auto-lock Accessory Shoe with extensions, so that passive adapters ADP-AMA and ADP-MAA allow to use digital-ready iISO flashes on new cameras and new Multi Interface Shoe equipment on older cameras, while providing compatibility with standard ISO-based equipment as well.

Dave Blackhurst October 23rd, 2012 01:46 PM

That adapter WON'T work with the Somy bluetooth mics - those use the AiShoe on the handycams, which is a DIFFERENT proprietary connector from the KM shoe on the Alphas.

It does appear that there is a mic input in the new shoe design, it may or may not have electronic "triggers" that announce that an audio input is there and the camera should expect it. AiSHoe accessories usually have specific electronic configurations to "tell" the camera what is in the shoe.

Interesting that the memory cards are a factor in the heat issue - any comments on whether you can push/exceed the times listed in the manuals if you use the "right" card/MS?

Leon Kolenda February 1st, 2013 01:15 PM

Hey everyone. just an update here on the overheating issue with the Nex-7.
It has been a real sore spot with me in regards to this overheating with my Sony Nex-7.

Well, I think I have found a solution! I have tried every thing I could, short of rigging a fan to the back of the camera. This thread, someone recommended trying a Sony HD Pro Duo HX card. IT WORKS!! Mine is a 32 Gig. It would always give a warning after 3-to 5 minutes, and sometimes shut down. Turn it off re-start the video recording, 3 minutes in, shut down. No warning.

Swapped out for the new Sony card, Have now recorded 3 times in a row 29:50 and I'm at 22:53 on the 4th try as I write this reply. I purposely kept the LCD screen not extended out, laying flat against the body.
OK got the overheat warning sign at the 27 minute mark, but it finished at the 29:50 like the others, tried it for the 5th time in a row is now 5 minutes in to recording the Temp warning is on, but still recording pulled the LCD away on this 5th time. The camera is pretty warm. Ok it shut off at the 7 minute mark of the 5th time in a row. If it takes this many 29:50 takes to shut it down, I'm fine with that. At least I can count on it be some what consistent, where before, I could not trust for longer than a 5 minute recording. That I can live with. I will post any possible discrepancies should it go back to it;s old ways. I use this camera a lot for video, so if you don't see a post by me about that it's gone bad again with in 2 weeks from the date of this reply, you'll know that it's good to go!
I recorded at 1080p 60FPS the best quality that the Nex-7 has to record.

I was pretty sceptical of this Sony Memory card working,but it does! So I hope this works for others as it has for me.

Leon

Arild Pedersen July 26th, 2013 02:25 PM

I can confirm that NEX-7 with 32 GB PRO-HG DUO HX High Speed Memory Stick from Sony (MSHX32B/MN) works! No overheating at all. Just been shooting in +28 deg air temp. No problems.

Shawn Clary August 12th, 2013 12:40 PM

For me even the Sony brand cards didn't stop my NEX-5n, NEX-7, or even RX-100 cameras from overheating. Keep recording folks, you'll see the overheating indicator soon enough. Oh well. $100 down the drain on 2 Sony memory cards.

Bill Pryor September 19th, 2013 12:12 PM

I tried the Sony card too and it did nothing. My overheating problem doesn't appear to be actual overheating. I think the sensor comes on too soon and the camera thinks it's hot when it's not. Sometimes it will come on after 2-3 minutes and the camera base isn't even warm to the touch. Another time it might run for the full 29 minutes. When I first got it it always ran over 20 minutes and I thought that was fine. But it's gotten totally random recently.

I communicated with a person on the Sony site who gave me a work order to send it in. She said it should run 29 minutes without a problem. It costs $148 (USD) just for them to look at it, probably more to do any real work. I think what will probably happen is they'll run it and it will work fine and they'll say there's nothing wrong and charge me the $148. I will try to communicate that it is random but I'm not too hopeful that will work.