DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   NEX 5N or 7 overheat issues... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/505347-nex-5n-7-overheat-issues.html)

Setiawan Kartawidjaja February 18th, 2012 04:18 AM

NEX 5N or 7 overheat issues...

Hello DVInfo, this is my first post, nice to meet you all.

I came to NEX e-mount system 1.5 years ago, beginning with NEX5 (that time choosing between nex5 or VG10, and due to similarity - I gone for NEX5 that time). And it's great little camera, and start experimenting with Nikon lenses too. Very interesting and now I upgrade to Sony NEX-VG20, and I have made:

Of course, after direct compare, NEX-VG20 has a better performance than the NEX5, new sensor, new avchd 2.0 codec, ability to record in 50i (i'm in PAL area) or 50p!

I'm thinking of 'replacing' my NEX5, keep small and light, especially for Glidecam work - so the system remains light.
But I must say, the trouble I'm thinking for this new cameras, is 'Overheat Issue' I read, and the worse before, is NEX5n clicking issues too.

Two different view of NEX5N:
"yes overheating is definitely an issue. I've not had it happen outdoors but inside it happens a lot and the camera just shuts itself off (very inconvenient!). I've not tried the OLED Viewfinder so perhaps that would reduce the problem, I'd not try it in a hot country though!"

while by other user,
(Thread : http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...-5n-beach.html)
"Very bright sun, but no problem with evf or any overexposure that afflicts most cameras and camcorders in this situation. NO OVERHEATING (76 degrees)."

So, does the newer NEX5N has fixed overheat issue? or is it a random problem? Different unit = different problem?
Now, how about NEX7. Anyone already have? and how it performs? is NEX7 have this overheat issue or free from it?

Thanks and Regards,

Setiawan
Bandung, Indonesia

Bill Bruner February 18th, 2012 12:55 PM

Re: NEX 5N or 7 overheat issues...

Hi Setiawan,

Welcome to DVInfo. Very nice video of the Cap Go Meh Cultural Festival. The night scenes are impressive. I am watching the video on a 42" screen and I see no noise in the dark areas. I have shot with the VG20, and it is a terrific camera, especially in low light, despite the lack of manual color control.

Regarding 5N overheating, some people report problems, some do not.

Here is a link to the heatsinks recommended in this thread at Amazon US - if you buy this camera and have overheating problems, hopefully you can find something similar in Indonesia:

On the NEX-7, I have not seen any reports of overheating - but there are not yet that many cameras in the hands of users, so you may want to wait until there are more in the field before making a buying decision.

Or perhaps just buy another VG20 body ;-)

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Setiawan Kartawidjaja February 18th, 2012 09:02 PM

Hello Bill, Thanks for the video comments..

Also very helpful info about those Heatsinks! - well, logically seems can help, at least make the shooting going longer, and from the thread, other users who did the same finally fix the trouble too.

At least I can be more less-worry if I'm ready to purchase NEX5n.

Regards,
Setiawan

Chris Adeyefa April 12th, 2012 07:30 AM

Hi guys thought i would share my NEX-7 experiences with you as i just sold it and im considering the vg20 as a replacement. The reason is because it overheats just like the nex-5n that i previously owned. The NEX-7 can reach the 30min clip mark but it will almost always display the overheating warning around the 5-10min mark. After completing a 30min clip, once u start recording again it shuts off after 2min.

If overheating is a concern at all DO NOT BUY THE NEX-7 or the 5n. If reliable video recording is important to you (weddings,interviews,events,kids soccer game) stick with the vg20.

the NEX-7 is a great lil camera but im assuming that one of its greatest assests (small size) is also one of its weaknesses due to this overheating issue sony has with all the NEX cameras asside from the pro lines.

This and this reason alone is making me consider the vg20 because there is absolutely no overheating problems and we still maintain the E mount interchangable lense system that ive already invested in.

The only thing im concerned about is the lack of control over the sharpness and contrast settings and also no picture profiles or the advertised consumer NEX creative styles found in the 5n and 7.

For now im waiting another 2 weeks till NAB 12' to find out if sony has any surprises. I doubt it would be a vg30 but im hearing rumors of an F3 replacement for the C3

Aron Anderson April 12th, 2012 03:33 PM

Depending on the lens you use I find that the VG20 has a very good balance meaning it is close to my Canon 60d neutral style. I was concerned about this but I bought it at B H photo and if I did not like it i would return it. Well, I still have it and have done 4 professional jobs with it and doing a peice for Intel next week with it. I did a tutorial on my web site how easy it is to get the footage a little flatter using Firstlight.

Chris Adeyefa April 13th, 2012 06:21 AM

Aron can you post a link to your site where you describe how to get a flatter image from the VG20?

Chris Joy April 13th, 2012 06:40 AM

I have the 7, I live in Florida and it varies for me. I rarely shoot more than a few minutes non stop, even though I have a slew of 16gb cards, 1080/60p still fills the card pretty quickly. But I did some testing after seeing concerns on other forums, sometimes the camera goes 9 - 10 minutes before shutting down from overheating, sometimes it reaches the 29:30 recording limit and then stops. Every time it overheated I just switched the camera off, then back on immediately and it started recording again. The shortest stretch I had was 9 minutes and change, most of the time it goes past 20 minutes - but again my style is very run and gun so I'm constantly doing a start/stop dance while moving around to get different shots. Unlike the previous Chris' post, I always got at least 9 minutes and usually a lot longer.

If I were regularly shooting something that lasted longer than the 29 minute recording limit, I wouldn't use a hybrid camera that has the limit, but that's not an issue for me. The 7, like most small cameras, is pretty dense inside, there's little room for added cooling and the 7's processor is certainly doing a lot of work when recording. I always tilt the LCD out to try and get one source of heat away from the body. OSS lenses seem to create more heat as well. I had better results with my adapted Rokkors. Here's what the 7 looks like under its skin...

Naked Sony Nex-7!! I Opened it up so the Inside of the Nex-7 is Revealed!! | SonyAlphaLab.com

My 5d2 and a friends 7d also had occasional overheating issues, many SLR/mirrorless cameras report overheating while shooting video. My GH2 doesn't seem to have that problem, I've seen posts alluding to extra cooling on its processor and given what that chip must be doing recording 100mb+ with the hack, there's definitely more cooling internally than the Nex, but the GH2 is a bit larger than the 7.

Aron Anderson April 13th, 2012 10:16 AM

Hey Chris first to be clear this flattening im talking about is in post not in camera. So you will not benefit of getting more dynamic range from the camera but what you do get is a video clip with less contrast for color grading. All you do is in Firstlight just raise the mids if the video needs it. The cool thing is Firstligh changes the meta data of the video. But here is the link to the tutorial.
# 6 TFX tv Cleaning Up Video (Part One)

Bill Bruner April 14th, 2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Joy (Post 1726875)

My 5d2 and a friends 7d also had occasional overheating issues, many SLR/mirrorless cameras report overheating while shooting video. My GH2 doesn't seem to have that problem, I've seen posts alluding to extra cooling on its processor and given what that chip must be doing recording 100mb+ with the hack, there's definitely more cooling internally than the Nex, but the GH2 is a bit larger than the 7.

It is still stunning to me that Sony is selling cameras with these known overheating challenges - that Canon sells "video capable" cameras with no autofocus, and that Canon and Nikon and Sony all sell "video capable" cameras that shut off after 30 minutes of recording.

Dave Blackhurst April 14th, 2012 04:12 PM

To be "fair", they are selling STILL cameras with video capabilities, able to handle most short clips that people might shoot. It's an "extra" function, and those of us who are trying to shoehorn these still cameras into long form work are not what the manufacturer expected...

The engineers have done what they can within the marketing challenges of "big sensor, small camera" - there's only so many ways to dissipate heat from a large chip... and for the "average" consumer, they can and will spend a little extra to get a cool new still camera... "and it does HD video too?" - for most it will suffice for personal use!

There's a disconnect here in that "pros" pcik up these cams and see what they can do with them for the price, and well... there's a reason they call it the bleeding edge, and to me it's pretty neat what you CAN get for the minimal outlay...

I'm sure that old EU added taxation is an issue somewhere in there too.

But in the end, I think that most videographers that do long form or free run clips will end up back with a VIDEO camera (perhaps the NEX VG series...), at least for SOME of their work. I'm happy that SONY at least decided to change up the design (NEX and SLT) to make for a reasonably effective "video" function with autofocus.

As so many "rigs" show, the SLR/still camera is not exactly the best design for shooting video (although I find it fairly comfortable, guess I'm weird). But I do think the "dedicated" video camera, at least in the consumer space is dead or dying rapidly - for most consumers (myself included when "casual shooting") can get pretty good video with even a fairly cheap P&S camera (or a smart phone!), and now that pretty much every still camera (and did I mention phones?!) comes with a video function... the camcorder/handycams days are I suspect numbered.

Chris Joy April 16th, 2012 03:33 PM

I agree, these are not meant to be pro video cameras - but with pro still and video quality in such a small/affordable package, its tough to buy a dedicated video camera. I would buy a VG20 without blinking if it had just ONE XLR input, just one. Because I have to run parallel audio I just can't get past spending $500 more for the body over my Nex7, or $1000 more than a 5n for the same sensor. If I could get one closer to $1000 that would be another story. Till then I'll run with a GH2 and Nex7. The GH2 doesn't have the overheat issues, just less DR and its a little worse in low light. Every camera is a compromise.

Aron Anderson April 16th, 2012 06:15 PM

Whats wrong with using a mini to XLR adapter.

Bill Bruner April 16th, 2012 06:43 PM

Nothing, except that there's no phantom power for a standard mic from these little 3.5mm mic jacks - and battery powered XLR mics are more expensive.

Aron Anderson April 17th, 2012 06:57 AM

Thanks Bill for your response. I use a 3.5 to XLR adapter with my Azden shotgun mic which don't need phantom power works great but I see your point.

Chris Barcellos August 4th, 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Joy (Post 1727537)
I agree, these are not meant to be pro video cameras - but with pro still and video quality in such a small/affordable package, its tough to buy a dedicated video camera. I would buy a VG20 without blinking if it had just ONE XLR input, just one. Because I have to run parallel audio I just can't get past spending $500 more for the body over my Nex7, or $1000 more than a 5n for the same sensor. If I could get one closer to $1000 that would be another story. Till then I'll run with a GH2 and Nex7. The GH2 doesn't have the overheat issues, just less DR and its a little worse in low light. Every camera is a compromise.

I just tried the 5n, having owned a VG20 since November 1, 2011, the day it was released. I have to say that the more I use the VG20, the more I like it. I was one of the primary complainers about the lack of saturation, contrast and sharpness controls, as was advertised. But the images out of the camera are just great, and it is clear why Sony left the additional features out. The VG20 would have been a clear competitor with their FS100 which is priced twice as much.

When I had the 5n for a couple of days, I did not have an overheat issue, but I was mainly test, on warm days, but just shooting short clips. I sent it back, despite the adjustment capabilities. I was thinking of converting it to my main cinema camera, but it just seemed like too much of a step backwards in usability.

Even with the baked in settings, the VG20 exhibits a good degree of range in post grading, if you develop a work flow. It appears to me that Sony did not set sharpness, contrast or saturation real high on the camera, so there is room for adjustment.

I simple powered Juice Link, or unpowered XLR adapter work well with the camera in term of feeding sound from professional mics to the camera.