NEX-VG20 vs A65? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Trustee

NEX-VG20 vs A65?

Hi guys,

I have an NEX-5N which I really love for stills and even though it can produce some very very nice videos, everybody knows about its´ limitations. So I was thinking about getting something a bit more robust for video.

-VG20:
Pros - would not have to invest in new lenses as I have a bunch of cool NEX mount lenses (included some limited edition stuff like the 23mm 1.7....which I adore). It doesn´t overheat.
Cons - it doesn´t have in-camera IS or phantom power.
- A65 - has a 24mp for stills (very welcome as I shoot 90% stills) and in-camera IS.
Cons - it doesn´t have in-camera IS or phantom power. It crops part of the image when it changes from stills to video. I´ve read some conflicting reports regarding overheating.

I´m wondering if there are any other aspects I´m forgetting to consider.
Also, image quality wise is there any noticeable differences? Does the VG20 crop part of the image like the NEX cameras and the A65?
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NEX-VG20 vs A65?

The first Gen Nex5 crops but 5N and VG 20 not...
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Trustee

I have a NEX-5N and it does crop when you change from stills to video. It´s not a lot but it really sucks for framing (if you´re shooting with a 35mm you´ll actually be shooting with a 40mm...more or less).
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a 5N to, it is cropping only a little bit with OSS ON the old 5 was very bad...
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Trustee

I´ve just read on the BH website that the VG20 actually DOES have in-camera IS:

Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Does anyone know if the VG20 has the same magnifying option as the NEX system to assist focusing with manual focus lenses?
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Rafael - yes, the VG20 has expanded focus, zebras and peaking - great for focusing manual lenses.

Here is a quote from the Sony Store:

"The NEX-VG20 provides advanced capture and control features that are often considered the domain of professional cameras including expanded focus for precise manual focus control, zebra and peaking for precision focus and exposure adjustments."

It also takes pretty good 16MP pictures. I did a blog post on this here.

The VG20 is on sale right now, body-only, with the LA-EA1 first-generation A mount adapter thrown in, for $1579 at Adorama.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
I´ve just read on the BH website that the VG20 actually DOES have in-camera IS:

Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video
Its the lens not the body...

Optical SteadyShot = OSS not in the camera built in VG-20. ON and OFF from the Cameras Control Center. Thats way it is not cropping. SONY e-Mount 16 mm doesnt have OSS.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Trustee

So much for my decision then. I have a lot of adapted lenses and I can really use IS.
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Space Hipster

If you're mainly using the camera to shoot video, go for the VG20. It's set up for that.
If you primary shoot stills, get the A65. Also consider the NEX-7 or NEX-5N, or the forthcoming NEX-F5. That way, you can use your existing NEX lenses.

I use an FS100 and NEX-5N. They share lenses, plus I have an alpha lens adapter for even more lens choices.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Trustee

I already have an NEX-5N but it has an erratic overheating problem that doesn't make it reliable...also it only accepts a specific Sony Microphone. I would really love getting the NEX7 but it has the same overheating issue...otherwise I would have gotten it a long time ago.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
So much for my decision then. I have a lot of adapted lenses and I can really use IS.
Stubbern?
Look in to the VG 20 Manual: there is no IS when the lens doesn have it.

NEX-VG20 vs A65? - Page 2
The fact that the VG20 doesn't have in-camera IS cancels one of the main reasons why I would buy it.
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Those E mount lenses are probably holding you back? That's one reason I hesitated jumping into "NEX", so I understand the dilema. For me, the collection of realtively cheap old Minolta lenses made my choice the A65, haven't regretted it, despite how the NEX7 is "sexy"...

It's not a "video camera" in format, but I'm comfortable shooting it and the test resuts have been good. You note you shoot "90% stills", there shouldn't be any hesitation IMO about grabbing an A65 (or have you looked at the A57?). The stills are worth the price of entry, the 24Mp resolution is pretty impressive, The video tests looked great, and I'm planning to integrate it into my workflow.

I haven't seen any overheat problems yet with the A65 - have you seen any actual reports? So far, it appears it handles heat dissipation well enough that it won't be an "issue", but I've got limited time on the two I picked up.

I probably need to do some free run heat testing, I've worked on the theory that the larger body provides sufficient air mass and surface area to keep overheating down in comparison to the tiny NEX bodies.

Honestly, if you've got A mount glass, you should probably just get an A65... it's a very nice camera to shoot with. I'd actually toos the words "fun" and "exciting" in the mix!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900