DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   VG 30 & Power Zoom 18-200 mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/510481-vg-30-power-zoom-18-200-mm.html)

Werner Graf September 6th, 2012 01:15 AM

VG 30 & Power Zoom 18-200 mm

With Zoom Rocker at the Body and nothing other else new? Maybe al LANC Connection?

Next image leak. Here is the NEX-VG30! | sonyalpharumors

Glen Vandermolen September 6th, 2012 05:01 AM

Re: VG 30 & Power Zoom 18-200 mm

I'll take it for the power zoom. I'll add it to my FS100.
The OLED EVF should be sweet!

Chris Law September 7th, 2012 03:08 PM

If the camera has colour profiles, allowing you to colour grade effectively then I would be interested in this camcorder however I'm unsure of if Sony will still introduce this feature.

(Edit) infact, I'm no longer intrested in this camera, just look at the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, that hands down kills this really unless you don't have the hardware to deal with those large files.

Chris Joy September 8th, 2012 10:12 AM

The BMCC is a vastly different camera with a form factor - and crop factor - that doesn't lend itself for ENG style shooting while the VG is a near perfect form factor for run-and-gun and event shooting with few decent IS capable lenses and the ability to adapt pretty much anything else.

The new m43 BMCC has the adaptability, but its a dumb mount so you can't stop down the excellent m43 lenses including the Panny 7-14 that would make the perfect UWA lens and the 12-35 which would make a great standard lens for the BMCC. But you lose IS, even on Canon lenses - and since the crop factor turns most lenses into tele's, anything handheld would be pretty rough. If you're always on the sticks or use a steadicam, that would obviously change things and make the BMCC a great camera with the exception of ultrawide shots.

Then there's the battery issue, a few small/cheap batteries can power the VG cameras all day, while V-mount batteries or similar options for the BMCC are neither small or cheap - even if you go full ebay Chinese knockoffs.

I've seriously considered the BMCC, but I move around a lot so the new VG's are more of a consideration for me. I would consider both if there was easy lens cross compatibility, but they can only share legacy glass at the moment.

Great to have the options though...

Chris Barcellos September 12th, 2012 01:17 AM

This camera along with vg 900 is now announced, but it looks to me like neither one of them has the profiles and adjustable color saturation, sharpness, or contrast, from reading spec at Sony Store. Unbelievable!

Werner Graf September 12th, 2012 04:10 AM

Bullxxxx SONY Japan

Main function
Picture Effect ● (Common Video Still: Still image only Toy Camera / Pop Color / posterization / Retro Photo / soft high key / Part Color / High Contrast Monochrome: Soft Focus / Miniature)
Creative Style -
Histogram display ●
Zebra pattern ●

Andreas Jaeger September 12th, 2012 05:55 AM

Hello Werner,

where do you have the Infos?

Creative Style - This Means no Way to get Sharpness/Color/Contrast???????

Please more detailed Information...
...even for all what it is possible.

Im very interested to this Camera....

Thanks
Andreas

John Vincent September 12th, 2012 08:38 AM

Andreas -

The VG20 does not have full manual control - no control over color (other then white balance shift), gamma, sharpening, or contrast. In other words, a baked in look.

Now it's a pretty good look - one I actually like a lot - but the VG30 and the VG900 look to have the same lack of manual control.

The one preset, Cinetone, sort of crushes the blacks and not much else. The general view among VG20 users seems to be that's it's not worth the trouble. Hope that helps you a bit.

Andreas Jaeger September 12th, 2012 08:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks John for your eplanation.

On:
Sony NEX Interchangeable Lens HD Camcorder | NEX-VG30 | Sony USA

described under "Advanced Features":
"CinemaTone Gamma/Color : Yes"

Is this you mean what you said "cinetone" ?

And whats with the Digital Picture Effects/Picture Effects described under "Convenience Features"
Movie and Still:Posterization,Pop color,Retro Photo, Partial Color, High constrast Monochrome, Toy Camera; Still Only:Soft Focus,Miniature

Are these Effects perhaps customisable?

I think, real world Tests with real "Production Modell Cameras" will show it.

Andreas

Todd Clark September 12th, 2012 09:37 AM

I wonder if by "Partial Color" you can de-saturate the video.

John Vincent September 12th, 2012 09:56 AM

Andreas
"described under "Advanced Features:
"CinemaTone Gamma/Color : Yes"

Is this you mean what you said "cinetone" ?"

Yes!

"And whats with the Digital Picture Effects/Picture Effects described under "Convenience Features"
Movie and Still:Posterization,Pop color,Retro Photo, Partial Color, High constrast Monochrome, Toy Camera; Still Only:Soft Focus,Miniature "

Look to be similar presets as with the Sony 5n - so 5-6 other presets, most of which would seem to be of little use to most pro shooters.

"Are these Effects perhaps customisable?"

Obviously I don't know for sure, but the smart money says no - Cinematone is not adaptable - it's either on or off.

Chris Barcellos September 12th, 2012 10:23 AM

Everyone needs to understand that you really can't depend on Sony's descriptions, either. Last year, Sony posted that the new VG20 had the controls that were aboard the lower end NEX 5N. It turned out to be a misrepresentation, and after a month and a half of continuing advertizing and sales, they pulled that description off the Web.

So you can't be sure, and we have to wait and see. But, from the description that is provided, as far as adjustment is concerned, there does not seem to be anything new on board either the VG30 or the VG900.

Werner Graf September 12th, 2012 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Andreas Jaeger;1752956]Hello Werner,

where do you have the Infos?

Creative Style - This Means no Way to get Sharpness/Color/Contrast???????

Please more detailed Information...
...even for all what it is possible.

Im very interested to this Camera....

Thanks
Andreas[/QUOTE
Here SONY US:
Sony NEX Interchangeable Lens HD Camcorder and Lens | NEX-VG30H | Sony USA

Steve Mullen September 12th, 2012 01:59 PM

My bet is that you are all correct -- no adjustable parameters -- likely because the firmware is shared, except for the addition of CineTone & CineGamma, with other NEX photo cameras.

I've been shooting with the JVC QuadHD camcorder and I'm happy to report that with such a huge number of RECORDED pixels sharpening seems to no longer be needed. FullHD has that same "soft" look that film look fans love. Which makes me wonder if Sony has designed the optimal process to get 16MP to 2MP and don't want users to tinker with it. After all, they can measure the image far more accurately than we can. We can only screw it up. :)

As far as color, etc. that's done in post. Creative FX we don't need, but they come with the firmware.

For me -- the only issue is "are artifacts introduced when shooting video with a camera that also shoots photos?" With the JVC the answer is no because the photos are the same rez as the video. With the BMC and DB and RED, the answer is no.

It seems the BMC shooting 12-bit log ProRes 422 is a more INTERESTING camera in 2012 than anything from Sony. Not an ENG camcorder without spending for a rig and buying at least one wide lens. But, so much to learn. By the way, Natrress Curves de-logs video before you CC so you get a large DR.

John Vincent September 12th, 2012 07:40 PM

"Creative Style - This Means no Way to get Sharpness/Color/Contrast???????"

That's right - the look of the camera is sort of like committing to one type of film stock - you will be able to pus/pull any given stock, but the look is more or less baked in. Such is the case with the VG20, VG30, and VG900.

And I tend to agree with Steve - color shifting is best done in post. The look of the VG series is, in my mind, quite good. I'd like the image a little more sharp and less rolling shutter, but other then that the VG20 remains one of the best bang-for-buck cameras out there. For $200 more, wedding/doc guys can get a rocker arm in the form of a VG30.

And it's a great point by Chris - until production units are in the hands of reviewers, we really won't know what features these cameras really have - for months, Sony knowingly had false advertising for the VG20 both on its website and stores such as B&H.