DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Anyway to get a crazy fov on the NEX-VG20? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/512145-anyway-get-crazy-fov-nex-vg20.html)

Chris Law November 17th, 2012 05:41 AM

Anyway to get a crazy fov on the NEX-VG20?

I want to have a really wide angle lens for my NEX-VG20 without spending much money, is there anything cheap that could do this with an adapter?

Thank you

Matt Sharp November 17th, 2012 02:33 PM

Re: Anyway to get a crazy fov on the NEX-VG20?

Not sure how much you consider "cheap" but you can get an 8mm f2.8 for $300. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880784-REG/Bower_sly288seb_8mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Compact.html

Bill Bruner November 17th, 2012 05:05 PM

Chris - in the UK, your least expensive options are the - or a with an .

Hope that's helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Chris Law December 21st, 2012 07:04 AM

Hi, that fisheye looks quite sweet, is the footage still quite flat though im aiming for a really wide angle but not like a skate board video look. Thanks for the help!

Chris Medico December 21st, 2012 07:08 AM

What do you consider cheap and how much of the fisheye look is OK?

Chris Law December 21st, 2012 07:34 AM

Well, I looked at some videos of that fisheye and it seems not too bad, but I want to make films with this lens and so I just want as wide as can be without being over the top. It needs to look wide for video terms. Now I've seen a few things. First of all theres this adapter
Now that could go on my 18-55 at the moment but, would it still look fine and not ruin the image in terms of clarity?

Theres this by SLR magic But i've heard bad things about them like uneven focus planes etc which is a no go for me.

Money wise no more than 250 pounds, right now that adapter seems a good cheap solution if it doesn't ruin the image quality.

Chris Medico December 21st, 2012 07:53 AM

Adapter lenses tend to get out of focus towards the edges. Many also have CA issues as you go towards the edges.

I would recommend buying a lens because buying a quality adapter will cost as much as a lens anyway. As an example the wide angle adapter for my EX1 (which is pretty good) is about 1.5x your budget.

The new Sony 10-18mm could be exactly what you are looking for image wise. It unfortunately is also outside the budget.

Chris Law December 21st, 2012 08:14 AM

Yes, its shame because of the high price of that particular lens, and that price won't drop. The 18-200 hasn't shifted for two years. I guess there's not much I can do, unless I find a third party lens which is similar to the 10-18mm. Also, do you know how good the SEL50F18 is? I may be getting that lens also.

I guess the 16mm E mount + Adapter is the best way to get a none distorted wide shot from what I can see,

Tony Neal December 21st, 2012 03:24 PM

You need the Sony Sony SEL16F28 pancake lens with the Ultra Wide Converter - its within your budget.

I've got this on my VG20 and I just love the way it pulls everything into the frame and plays with perspectives-its fabulous for steadicam work too.

I shot my grandsons birthday party with this combination last weekend ...

Only downside is the autofocus struggles with extreme close-ups - and don't get anyones head in the corner of the frame or you'll get the cone-head effect. And if its sometimes a bit too wide you can always pop the adapter off.