NEX-VG30 Did it miss the mark? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Major Player

NEX-VG30 Did it miss the mark?

I am really surprised at how little talk there is about the NEX-VG30. I really thought this was going to be the new prosumer cam of choice. I was thinking I would get one to hook up to my NanoFlash and have a killer cam. Oh well I will go back to the shadows and keep looking.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: NEX-VG30 Did it miss the mark?

I love my VG20 - shooting a feature with it right now. Might just be the most under-rated camera going right now. The fact that you can get one brand new for $1,300 doesn't hurt much either.

Not sure what the differences are between the 20 & 30, but I can def recommend the 20 if you can't get into an FS100.

My blog on STALHGEIST, the feature I'm using the 20 for:
http://wwwhttp://www.crowboy.com/evi...php?board=60.0
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are minor changes between the 20 and the 30, but there are a few that might mean something to you.

Here is a thread which discusses differences.

I have to agree with John that there is more to the VG20/30 line than most give credit for. The one negative that bugged me was lack of picture profile, but I have to say in post, changing look a bit has been pretty good.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

I'm thinking of getting this neat little camera with the new NEX 10-18 mm lens.
OSS and on the fly auto focus.

The compression banding on solid tones using my DSLR is getting to me and that's even with magic lantern on it. Then there is no view finder so useless in the real word shooting video unless you bolt stuff on them.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Trustee

There's just so much less noise with this camera then a Canon DSLR - even the Mark III - I mean gain all the way up still produces a very usable image. And the grain produced is very fine; a very filmic, pleasing quality to it.

The only real negatives are - as Chris mentioned - no control over contrast/sharpening/color pallet, and a lack of physical knobs. Of course, an XLR port and ND filter would have been great, but at this price range it's a bit unreasonable to expect.

Hands down the best bang for buck camera I have ever owned, at least in terms if image produced. If I were shooting commercials every day, I'd move up to the FS100 or Canon C series, but because I shoot penny dreadfuls with no money, this camera is a God send.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6
New Boot

Less noise than a 5d3? Please. An APS-C sensor vs. arguably the low light king full frame (5d3)? Have you tried the Canon yourself? I have it and have tried the VG series - there's just no contest for low noise.
Shawn Clary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes, I have.

I'm a big Canon DSLR fan, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this particular subject. Sorry, the Canon looks grainier to my eyes at higher DB levels - even the III...

More so, I like the quality of the grain better on the Sony's. And as soon as I get that metabones speed adapter, this little puppy will practically see in the dark.

And considering the more then $2,200 difference in price between the two, if the VG20 is even close in light sensitivity to the Mark III then the 20 remains a steal.
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't have a vg30 but a nex-ea50 and since both have the same sensor the low light performance can't be that different? All I can say from my ea50 is that is has about the same low light performance then my canon 550d, in my case that would mean that 1600 iso is as high as I go with 3200iso if I need to get a shot.
I have seen footage from a 5dIII in the 10.000 iso range that looked cleaner then 3200 iso on my ea50 so it would surprise me the vg30 is that much better?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Trustee

We use a 550/T2i as a B cam and it isn't even close in light sensitivity. So much so that we've basically abandoned using it as a B cam, and use it just for behind the scenes stills.

These are just my gut reactions; certainly nothing scientific. Perhaps the Mark III is better in low light. But is it $2,200 better? For me, it's not. A good deal of it is grain structure, which I personally just like better on the Sony's right now.

Again, a totally subjective view I know. I'll try and post a scene from my latest flick later...
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
We use a 550/T2i as a B cam and it isn't even close in light sensitivity. So much so that we've basically abandoned using it as a B cam, and use it just for behind the scenes stills.
For those who have shot with both, are the sound and video control features of the VG30 significantly better than DSLRs? Is it possible to use the on-camera audio on the Mark III or does one always have to shoot dual system? Also, asside from low light, does the VC30 have a sharper image with less aliasing?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
We use a 550/T2i as a B cam and it isn't even close in light sensitivity.
Weird, as I have a 550d as well, I find it hard to believe the vg30 is 'that" much better then the nex-ea50 or even close to a 5DIII. That would mean the vg30 can shoot a clean image at 10000 iso?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Trustee

It's a little hard to compare, because the Sony's use "gain" vs the Canon's "iso" as measuring tool - the Sony VG20 goes on to 30 gain and still looks very usable - but even at low levels of gain, the T2i adds a lot of noise, as do all the Canon DSLRs of that generation.

Obviously the Mark III is a step up, but in my experience - both in use and seeing other shooters work - the III still can't match Sony for light sensitivity (and as I mentioned, I like the quality of noise better in the current Sony lineup).

Your Sony EA50 should be blowing the T2i away for low light performance (assuming the same conditions, lens, etc.), but I haven't used the EA 50, so I can't personally speak to it. I assume the VG20/30 and EA 50 would all look very similar, but that is just an assumption. Sony def has been leaving some bells and whistles out from generation to generation (as they left the VG10's presets off of the VG20), so who knows?
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
There are minor changes between the 20 and the 30, but there are a few that might mean something to you.

Here is a thread which discusses differences.

I have to agree with John that there is more to the VG20/30 line than most give credit for. The one negative that bugged me was lack of picture profile, but I have to say in post, changing look a bit has been pretty good.
Sorry I forgot to post this thread link.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...0-vg-30-a.html
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Clary View Post
Less noise than a 5d3? Please. An APS-C sensor vs. arguably the low light king full frame (5d3)? Have you tried the Canon yourself? I have it and have tried the VG series - there's just no contest for low noise.
Don't know about the 5D III, but my VG20 seemed better suited for low light than my TI2 or my Canon 5D Mark II. I did these tests when I first got it over a year ago. You be the judge.

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Trustee

Maybe I'm going blind, nit to me it's not close - the VG20 a full step ahead of the "old" Canon's, and equal/nearly equal to the current Canon line-up.

To be clear, I'm no Sony fanboy - in fact I blasted them rather severely for omitting the picture profiles from the VG20. And now that I've been putting the camera through it's paces, it's easy to see why - although less flexible (no color profiles/sharpening/contrast control), it produces an incredibly clean image.

And unlike cameras costing several thousand bucks more, it has a clean HDMI out.

Yes, the controls are finicky, and no, I would want this cam if I worked 5 days a week making corporate videos or commercials, but for things like indie films or concerts (or anything else with low light), I just don't know how you beat this camera for the price. If the EA 50 was just a wee bit cheaper, I'd be all over it.

Let's put it this way - I won't be selling it anytime soon.

And thanks Chris for all your work early on with the VG20 - your videos in large part are why I took the plunge....
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900