E-Mount adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Contributor

E-Mount adapters

I plan on getting the Sony VG-30 so I can use it with my Steadicam Merlin, use it for an occasional interview, and be a good match to my existing Sony HDV cameras. I do not like the stock zoom lens (too slow for me for low light situations). I do not own any lenses so want to start from scratch and get some 2.0 or faster lenses. I am looking at some Sigma and Rokinon lenses (some auto, some completely manual) but need advice in picking out a lens adapter.

I like the Sony LA-EA1 but I hear it has issues when manually adjusting iris on lenses that have no manual iris ring (opens up fully, then closes down to assigned setting). Not a deal breaker for me, but can it at least do auto iris on lenses that have this capability (via the camera) or am I stuck with always manually adjusting the iris? The LA-EA2 is a little too pricey for me and I hear it soaks up some light due to the translucent mirror. Is this always the case or does it only soak up light when engaging auto focus? Can it do auto iris?

The other options I am looking at: Fotodiox, cheap but reviews not good (loose fit, light leaks); Metabones, they make reasonably priced Nikon adapter but does it have aperture ring?; Novoflex, good build but pricey, again does it have aperture ring?

For those of you who have any of these adapters, I would love your feedback.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: E-Mount adapters

I have several of the Chinese $15-20 "dumb adapters (both FD and EOS to NEX), and all of them work fine. A few of them jiggle a little bit, both not enough to interfere with pulling focus and the like.

All but one of my lens is a manual F stop, so no real need for the more expensive "smart" adapters.

I'm interested in the metabones adapter myself, but haven't played with it yet.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Now that I sold my 18-200, I use cheap passive $10 ebay adapters out of H.K and they are great. For wide, I have Sony's recent motor zoom, the SEL 16-50mm and for everything else I use only Carl Zeiss vintage primes. Their speed, 'look' and build quality cannot be surpassed. Now that Metabones have released their Speedbooster adapter mount in CY-NEX, it's top of my list.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

As far as I can tell the speed booster only works with full frame lenses. So most of my lenses will not work with it. My favorite lense the Tokina 11-16 is for APS-C. So I am getting the Metabones smart adapter MARK III. It won’t speed boost but it will control the lens, and looking at the list of tested lenses all of mine will work.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Stephen

I have the Novoflex NIK/NEX and it's well worth the money ..you get get them for around $200 and they fit the camera with no issues and yes, they have a decent aperture ring too!! I also have a FOTGA adapter ..it's super tight on the Nikon lenses and won't fit on my EA-50 body at all...Total Junk!!

Buying the cheap Chinese adapters is like a raffle ..you might be lucky and get one that fits but most are way out of spec!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900