DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Let’s talk about the Glass! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/516862-let-s-talk-about-glass.html)

Ron Little May 29th, 2013 10:02 AM

Let’s talk about the Glass!

Let me start by saying I like the kit lens, just wish it was faster. I have a nikor 50mm 1.4 that is sweet and a Tokina 11-16 zoom 2.8 that I have been using for a while on my 7d. I just got the Meta Bones adapter so now I can put the Tokina and all my Canon glass on the VG30. The lenses that I really like so far are;

E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3
Nikor 05mm 1.4
Tokina 11-16 2.8

What lens do you like on the VG 30?

John Vincent May 29th, 2013 10:14 AM

Re: Let’s talk about the Glass!

Rokinon 35mm/1.4 - sharp as heck and looks nice in front of the camera.

I also use the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 quite a bit as well. Not as fast or sharp, but still can produce some nice images.

The only actual NEX glass I own is the 16mm. It's nicely wide and super light, so I usually use it for stedicam type shots.

Ron Little May 29th, 2013 10:26 AM

On that Rokion is it an E-Mount or Canon?

Gabe Strong May 29th, 2013 12:35 PM

I should start by specifying this is for E-mount cameras as I don't have a VG30, I have a VG20 and FS100.

Lenses I use:
E mount kit lens 18-200 F3.5-6.3.
FD mount 50mm F1.4
FD mount 35mm F2.0
FD mount 28mm F2.5
FD mount 28-90mm f2.8-3.5
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (canon mount)
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 (canon mount)
Tamron 28-105 F2.8 (canon mount)
Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 (Sony A mount)

I have 2 cameras so on many shoots I will choose 2 different lenses for the shoot.
For a performance on stage I may use the 50-150 on a camera and the 17-50 on
the other. That way I have a wide shot and a close up. For an interview I may choose
a FD prime for ultra shallow depth of field on one camera and something like the 28-105
on the other so I can change focal lengths between questions. Then cut together the video
in post.

If I am using one camera in a variety of situations I bring either the kit lens or the
28-105. If I can bring 3 lenses I'd bring a super wide (10-20 or 11-16 if you had that
instead), a fast medium prime (50 F1.4 or a 35 F1.4 if you had that instead) and then a zoom
for all around work. All the lenses have their purpose, just depends on what you are
shooting.

John Vincent May 29th, 2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1797842)
On that Rokion is it an E-Mount or Canon?

Canon. The only native Sony lens I own is the 16mm. Simply put, I think the resale value is higher with the Canon glass. That said, it looks like the NEX mount is going to stick around.

I only shoot narrative or commercials, so I don't need automatic anything in a lens.

I also use quite a few FD lens (all zooms). They have their foibles, but you can't beat the price. I wish either Canon or Rokinonj would issue a fully manual zoom lens - I dislike having to use the camera to set the F-stop, even when I'm using a Canon. So much easier using manual glass.

Craig Marshall May 30th, 2013 04:04 AM

I was never that keen on the kit 18-200 lens so I listed it at .99c on ebay and it sold for $750. You cannot use cheap zoom lenses with a matte box as most want to extend themselves beyond the lens body like an Alien esophagus and break your glass filters but I do love my cute little SEL16-50 motor zoom on the VG20. (perfect lens for a VG30 too with a zoom rocker!) Although it is very 'Handycam' for holiday snaps, I use it mostly with a matte box on rails and a follow focus control. The 16-50 features a zoom slider on the lens barrel but if you set your NEX camera to 'auto focus', the lens focus ring (which is geared to my follow focus wheel) then becomes a true 'proportional' zoom control so it is great for close quarters, hand held shooting.

For just about everything else, I use Carl Zeiss Contax 35mm manual primes on a fluid tripod. They are big heavy, beautifully made lenses which you can use wide open without fear of corner fade or any softness and of course, they all offer the classic Zeiss 'look'. Some have up to 270 degrees of focus ring rotation (correct direction too) so they are perfect for follow focus work. I also have a couple of $35 Helios F2.0 M42 lenses (early Zeiss 'clones') which I like for macro work with extension barrels.

This is my current Zeiss lineup:

* 50mm f1.7
* 85mm f2.8
* 135mm f2.8
* 180mm f2.8
* 300mm f4.0
* Mutar II 2x Extender (this coupled with the 300mm and VG20 is around 900mm FF equiv - virtually an f5.6 'telescope'!)

I currently use a 'dumb' C/Y>NEX adapter but have a Metabones C/Y 'Speedbooster' on order.

Ron Little May 31st, 2013 10:11 AM

This is really good information guys, thanks. I am really looking at the Rokinon 35mm/1.4 and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. I think the Rokinon will be great under controlled situations like interviews or shooting commercials where I have time to setup. The Canon looks like a good run and gun lense. Does anyone think that if I have the Canon I would not need the Rokinon? Still reading reviews and doing research.

John Vincent May 31st, 2013 12:16 PM

The 17-55 would vignette if you ever want to go to a FF camera. Also, while the 17-55 range is decent as a walk around lenses, I often want more zoom, at least something that goes up to 100mm.

One other thing - the Roki is much sharper then the Canon lens you mentioned, and of course much faster.

Ron Little May 31st, 2013 12:20 PM

Thanks, John that gives me something to think about. So.. In a zoom what would you recommend?

John Vincent May 31st, 2013 04:13 PM

Well the funny thing is that if you want to get full control and IS, there's only 3 ways to go - either the stock Sony NEX zoom, a Canon/Nikon with a so-called "smart" adapter, or older manual glass with a "dumb" adapter.

Now Canon zooms - particularly the 24-70 2.8 L and the 24-108 4.0 L - are well respected lens, but you won't be able to control the iris or get auto anything unless getting one of the smart adapters. That said, the newest adapters, like the Metabones Mark III, does get you all those goodies.

Unfortunately, it cost $400:
Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter (Mark III)

Which is a small price to pay if you're already heavily invested in Canon glass. Otherwise, I'm not sure. But if you want a fast zoom lens that has all the modern bells and whistles, you'll have to get some sort of adapter, either for Nikon, Alpha (Minolta), or Canon.

Of course, it all depends on exactly what you're using the camera/lens for. I shoot nothing but narrative films and commercials, so I can (usually) take a little time to properly light/set up a shot. That's why all my zoom lenses are Canon FDs - super cheap, built like tanks, with decent image quality. I bought a 28-200mm 3.5-5.3 FD from KEH not long ago for $70 and the thing's nearly flawless.

But if you're an events/doc shooter, you'll likely want IS, auto focus, and a faster lens then that. A 2.8 constant ap FD lens is hard to find - and fairly expensive.

SO, I guess my answer depends on what kind of shooting you do, whether or not you want to commit to one brand of lens (which you more or less have to do if you're on any kind of a budget), and whether or not you can hold out until the next gen of NEX glass comes out (which is hopefully soon). For me, I'm willing to invest in fully manually FF capable primes like the 35mm Rokinon because I know I be able to use them on basically any camera in existence (other then Nikon). I invest in the FD glass because it's an incredible value, and the dumb adapters are so cheap.

Ron Little May 31st, 2013 09:34 PM

Thanks, John I just got my MetaBones adapter so the canon 24 - 70 is looking good. It will be interesting to see what next gen NEX glass will be. I shoot a lot of commercials and business profiles so that Rokinon looks good for that but every now and then I shoot martial arts so a good zoom with auto focus comes in handy for that. Have you used a Canon 24-70?

John Vincent June 2nd, 2013 10:46 PM

Only briefly, not enough to judge it one way or another (other then build quality was nice).

Byron Jones June 3rd, 2013 03:49 AM

I would really like to use my Nikon glass on my vg30. I have a few FX lenses, both prime and zoom. Will I need a "smart adaptor" to be able to control aperture? Any recomendations?

Henry Williams June 3rd, 2013 10:05 AM

I use a VG10, VG20 an NEX5r and an NEX5n. Glass in the kit bag is currently:

Sony E-mount 16mm with wide angle adaptor and fish eye adaptor
Sony E-mount 50mm f1.8
Sony E-mount 18-200 kit lens x2
Sony E-mount18-55 kit lens
Sony E-Mount Macro lens
Sigma 30mm f2.8 E-mount lens
SLR Magic 35mm f1,7 and adaptor
Holga fixed f8 toy lens.
Pentax M42 adaptor with Helios 28mm, 44mm, 58mm and 135mm primes.

John Vincent June 3rd, 2013 08:35 PM

Henry, how do you like the wide angle adaptor?