Sony PMH to Preimere Pro? NEX VG-20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony PMH to Preimere Pro? NEX VG-20

Hey guys, trying to open TS (AVC) files in PP CS6 sent from PMH via 'Open With' but the video doesn't display in the Source Window nor the Project Window. Any reason for this? The same behaviour is displayed in AE too but JPEG files open PS from PMH.

Is anyone using this importing method from their camcorder or do you use Windows Import? By the way PP does import the files via it's own importing dialog.
Aaron Mulqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PMH to Preimere Pro? NEX VG-20

Do you transfer to PC using PMB or PlayMemories which should then be a m2ts file. You can then import this file to a bin in any of the NLE's.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Ron, thanks for the reply. That's right, the file extension is .m2ts but the format is TS (AVC). Yeah I use PMH (Play Memories Home) which is the updated revision of PMB to import the data. One of the features PMH offers is 'Open With', which you simply drag the clip and drop it in the selected editor extension that then opens the program with the clip in the Project Window. Well it should, it does with Photo Shop. PMH opens Premiere Pro just no clip data in the Project Window.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
You can then import this file to a bin in any of the NLE's.
Conforming in PP directly from the camera's root folder system takes longer than PMH.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have PlayMemories on one PC and PMB on the main editor so I could only check with Edius 5 and Vegas 10. My main editor has Vegas 12, Edius 6.08 and CS6. With my second editor with Edius 5 and Vegas 10 Playmemories will open the file in Vegas but not in Edius. I expect the real difference is that Edius need the resources in a bin to use but Vegas can drag directly to the timeline. I think Premiere is the same that resource has to be placed in a bin before it can be used in a timeline. I do not know why I would use this for video though for pictures it would be good to open Photoshop directly as a better program to use for touch up than the limited capability in PlayMemories. I prefer to import to a project folder all the files and source from there from within the particular program I am using.

AVCHD is a variant of the Bluray file format with all the companies having a slightly different format for their m2ts files they are not all the same .

Ron Evans
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
New Boot

That's more reassuring that not only Premiere has difficulty loading clips directly from PMH. This I can live with. Ummm... getting down to the real issue here is methods in importing straight from the camera. I'm fairly new to this video stuff and have always imported using PMB/PMH or Windows Import and this method is fastest. When I import the clip data from within Premiere, one it takes longer and secondly when I exit USB Connection mode from the camera all the media goes offline. What needs to be done to keep this media from going offline?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I would keep separate the import to the PC and editing. First use PMH to transfer files to a directory on the PC. Disconnect the camera and put by. Then start your editing using the files in the directory on the PC. I usually backup these files as well before I start any editing. I backup to LTO3 data tape unit but another hard drive is a minimum requirement preferably a RAID 1 or 5. Remember if you delete the files they have gone---no tape to reload from !!! The downside of file based systems is one has to have a backup system that you adhere to. With the cost of SD cards these days one could consider them like tape but I would still have another backup !!!

Ron Evans
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #8
New Boot

Being primarily an audio guy I'm quite familiar with backup systems and personally use hard drive cloning software like Casper. Though you are right, you can never have enough backup solutions.

Thank you for the information Ron. I'll continue using PMH for transfers and import via Premiere.
Aaron Mulqueen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900