Sony VG900 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony VG900 footage

I know there is not a lot of footage out there for these cameras so to add another sequence to the list, this was shot with the VG900 and Carl Zeiss 24-70 f2.8

You can decide if this is still the right camera for you. I personally love it.

Cheers.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony VG900 footage

Lovely footage. But I personally wouldn't be able to justify the price unless Sony start whipping out more full frame lenses!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi James,

Thank you.

I picked up a cheap vintage canon lens 50mm f1.2 which is full frame and works perfectly. Has external aperture control.
I also picked up a full frame 28-75 sigma lens which is great and almost as sharp as the zeiss but at a fraction of the price.

I also have a full frame 70-200 from sigma bought cheap. External aperture control

You can use pretty much any lens you like with this camera. I can work around aperture and non IS lenses without difficulty and use ND filters if I have a fixed f2.8 lens.

The camera seems to produce moire and aliasing with the stock lens but I have not noticed it with other lenses.

Cheers.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

John, thats the best looking footage i have seen out of the VG900, can I ask what you class as the 'stock lens' for this cam?
Now that I have a full frame A7 i'm interested in this cam again with the thought of using the new e-mount FE lenses.

Thank you
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback.
The stock lens is the 18-200 f3.5-f6.3

It is in comparison an extremely soft lens. Sadly this is the lens most would have used or are using when you see footage online and it does not do the camera justice.

It seems the vg900 has got lost in amongst all the bad press.
It is actually a very capable camera and with this lens combination performs better than my GH3 IMHO!

Cheers.
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

John, may I suggest the guy that edited this knows his post production workflow as well as the cameraman knows his lenses! Much of the footage I see on the net from the Vg900 is often poorly presented and I would consider the kit lens a 'toy' lens. I sold my 18-200mm quickly and now only use Zeiss vintage full frame primes and a wonderful little Zeiss 28-70mm zoom which I picked up in Taiwan when I shot 'Good to See You' on the VG20. There is even A Speed Booster available for the Vg900 too!

Craig Marshall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900