VG20 vs Panasonic AG-AC90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Major Player

VG20 vs Panasonic AG-AC90

Hey guys,

Just had a play around with a friend's VG20 as I'm currently in the market to get two new cameras to replace my Sony Z1 and I'm still undecided what to get.

Firstly, the main purpose for my new camera purchases will be Live Pro Wrestling Events and Weddings.

In regards to wrestling filming, I need something that can compete with my Z1 handheld, my example below isn't the best I've done, but the first link that came up.

So I need a decent zoom, I can't use prime lenses when shooting a wrestling event.

In terms of Weddings, I feel the VG20 will provide a "nicer" look then the Panasonic AC90 in terms of the colours and shallow DOF. And with weddings, I will probably use a mixture of my Samyang Primes that already have.

I know it all comes down to opinions and how they suit a persons own shooting style, but I'm just trying to understand the pros and cons of both.

Thanks
Matt
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: VG20 vs Panasonic AG-AC90

I've actually tried using a VG20 for an indie rasslin' show - the shallow DoF of S35 not ideal for sports, particularly if you're moving around a lot.

I'd think a Sony RX10 would be better for such shooting....
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I used his VG20 this past weekend at a show and found it to look a bit too stuttery when moving where as the Z1 looks better.

The RX10 does look good, but I'm not sure how it would feel shooting wrestling and other live events on it because it's so light. And the 30 minute limit means I couldn't have one unmanned.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Matt wrote: "looks a bit too stuttery" Were you shooting 25P? Try 50i as it has better motion interpolation (better than even 50P due to the nature of field blending) but I agree with most, a small sensor camera with a greater depth of focus will be easier to work with in this situation if you are 'in with the action' OR a very wide angle lens (say 19mm FF equiv) with at least 90-100 degrees field of view and set to infinity focus.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Marshall View Post
Matt wrote: "looks a bit too stuttery" Were you shooting 25P? Try 50i as it has better motion interpolation (better than even 50P due to the nature of field blending) but I agree with most, a small sensor camera with a greater depth of focus will be easier to work with in this situation if you are 'in with the action' OR a very wide angle lens (say 19mm FF equiv) with at least 90-100 degrees field of view and set to infinity focus.
Yeah, I did shoot in 25p but as you mention it the Z1 shoots in 50i which doesn't look now where near as stuttery (for the lack of a better term) as the VG20 when hand held and following the action. So thanks, I will probably aim to shoot in 50i.

Yeah, I think a traditional camcorder suits the way I work better.
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Live Pro Wrestling Events and Weddings
Those are 2 different worlds require different tools, for wrestling the small, everything is sharp front to back, sensor will be much better to handle fast movements and the vg20 would be better suited for weddings if you want a certain look and shallow dof. But I think the ag-ac90 would be the best camera to cover both type of events, if you are used to a z1 and if shallow dof is not a needed the agac90 will serve you well, the rx10 is a nice camera as well but it's still a photocamera with videofunctionality while the ag90 is more a real videocamera and so is the vg20. Working with dslr formfactors can be challenging.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #7
New Boot

I know I am late to the party...I have the AC90 and VG30. Used both at an MMA fight. Hands down you will want the AC90 for the wrestling. Weddings the VG. I have two AC90's for the fights as matter of fact.
I was able to somewhat clean up the VG footage with NeatVideo but the AC needed much less.
Check out strykerfilms.com for some samples.
Steve Stryker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900