Frame rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Frame rates

Hi,

I live in New Zealand, and have recently bought a Sony NEX-VG30 which offers the following frame rates,

50i
50p
25p

I have a subscription to Video blocks which I'm licensed to use anything in their repository. Their clips are all 29.97 fps.

While I appreciate this question reveals me as at least a newbie but hopefully on the positive side of self deprecation, I need some advice. Where can I find some pointers as to how to make my short vignettes and short film interpretations of my short stories seamless in terms of the differing frame rates? At this point I'm only posting to vimeo and / or you tube?

Any help would be most appreciated, and apologies if this isn't the place to pose such a question.

Thanks in advance
Colin
Colin Basterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Frame rates

As an aside, albeit rather significant it seems from research I've done since this post is that Post Prod is the answer, and it is possible with Sony Vegas Pro.

I don't have the problem of audio aswell as my initial short has a narration over it that'll I'll record separately or with the video I shoot with the camera, likely the former however.

Still interested in thoughts
Thanks
Colin
Colin Basterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Colin, I recommend transcoding your Vg30 files before editing to a 'proper' editing codec like ProRes. If you use ClipToolz new CONVERT transcoder, you can also convert your 30fps files to match your delivery frame rate (such as 25fps Progressive) and Convert makes excellent 50P>25P slow motion too as all processing is done in RAW during conversion.

Convert is not free (almost!) but you can perform up to three consecutive transcodes with the trial version: See: ClipToolz Convert

PS: not sure if Vegas supports the ProRes codec. I work with Vegas occasionally as it has some fine audio features but if you want a real, fast 'editor', have a look Lightworks v11.5 which is free and in my opinion is a far superior video 'editor' to Vegas. Lightworks (free) offers MP4 output at 720P with virtually unlimited output options available in Lightworks Pro. see www.lwks.com

Last edited by Craig Marshall; March 10th, 2014 at 08:06 PM.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Craig,

Wow, that's awesome. I'll have a play around with it, but also will take a look at Lightworks..

Many thanks, have a great day
Colin
Colin Basterfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900