The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #1501
Major Player

"I'm using it for a greenscreen moves"

It is my understanding the Sony A1U has a 4:2:0 chroma subsampling which supposedly does not lend itself that well for chromakey. I don't do this, so not that versed on the details, but you can find threads here and a wikipedia.org topic on chroma subsampling to help you understand if this is going to be an issue for you.

I also believe it is discussed in Douglas Spotted Eagle's book, HDV: What you need to Know - an excellent reference IMO. Found at www.vasst.com
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1502
Contributor

This is true for all the DV cameras, whether HDV or not. You can get good chroma keys if you take the time and make the effort to light it properly, and then use decent keying software. But if you're doing mostly chroma key work it is best to get out of the DV/HDV world, I think. And the cheapest thing in that realm would be the HVX200, and while it would be better for chroma key work, it would not be better for some other things. If you're editing with FCP, then chroma keying DV/HDV is a bit of a hassle; I've got better keys with Avid's keying but with FCP bought DVGarage (I can't recall the exact name, something like that) and its keying was better. Still, you have to put forth more effort to get decent keys, and the wider your shot the more problematic it becomes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1503
Regular Crew

Another person lost in a thread

This thread is overwhelming and frankly after sifting though pages I am still a bit lost. Possibly can someone direct me to where i need to be looking?
Or answer these Questions

1) Where can I find a trusting source to purchase used cameras online?
2) Where can I find a local place to rent camera and equipment?
3) What the lowest price pro camera for shooting weddings? with good low light capabilities, haven’t decided if I want to invest in HD.

My background:
I am really into editing and have specialized in special events. I want/need to learn camera techniques to expand business opportunities. I want a camera that is reasonably priced, the lower the better (but who doesn’t?). Beginner friendly, but also have room to grow. Also room to be flexible like sporting events and possible underwater capabilities.
I understand there is no one perfect camera
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1504
Inner Circle

1. Our trusted sponsor B&H has a used video gear section on their website www.bhphotovideo.com

3. Pro means different things for different people. Event videographers love the high end prosumer/low end professional Sony PD150/170 for its excellent low light capability and B&H occasionally has a used one for sale. When you decide to go HD, you have a host of options, again some Sony cameras are good in low light.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #1505
Major Player

2. Google

when you purchase your XH A1 :) call up Canon and get a list of official dealers
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #1506
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post
2. Google

when you purchase your XH A1 :) call up Canon and get a list of official dealers
Are there any camera, mic rental places in Orlando that you know of?
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #1507
New Boot

HD/HDV camera shopping

Hey folks, i am about to step into the HD/HDV world with a camera purchase. I have been shooting with a PD-170 and a JVC DV500.
I will be shooting interviews(some green screen), documentary field productions. I also will be renting out my services for day shoots (so compatibility with other productions companies equipment is of some concern).

I have been looking at the staples...Pan HVX200, Sony V7U, JVC HD200. I have just recently began to look at Canon, such as the A1 and the G1, although i am not sure what the G1 does that the A1 doesn't.

The idea of flash storage appeals to me, but also does the idea of the ability to downconvert to SD 16:9(which, sadly, seems to discount the Pan HVX200). Most of my current stuff will be mastered to SD but would like to at least show it in 16:9. IO would, however, like to acquire footage in HD and have the option to master in HD or SD.

I want to pull the trigger on the Panasonic but am apprehensive due to the previous issue and the issue with older CCDs, although the picture quality says more than any specs can say.

So, with that, let me know what you guys think. I probably could add more info here, but i have to go for now. I will try to check back later and add more if needed.

thanks
David Soriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM   #1508
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soriano View Post
The idea of flash storage appeals to me, but also does the idea of the ability to downconvert to SD 16:9
I encourage you to do the down-conversion in the computer (which works for any camera) instead of in the camera. You can use better algorithms (sinc, lanzcos) and codecs.

You probably didn't mention the EX-1 because you need long-form recording at a low price; but if you can make it work with just a few extra 8 GB cards, I would encourage you to justify the expense.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1509
Inner Circle

David...

If you're used to shooting with a PD-170 then you might want to look at the EX1 and not the HVX. I work with both and the EX1's ability to capture images under low light is far better than the HVX.

The EX1 also provides 3 times more recording time per gigabyte then the HVX.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1510
Contributor

David, the G1 is the same but has what they call the Jack Pack, giving you some cool outputs and genlock capability. For most of us it's not worth the extra money, unless you do lots of multi camaera shoots.

I have done the in-camera downconvert directly to DVCAM tape and it looked the same as when I've downconverted in the computer, so that's a good feature.

The HVX200 will cost you a lot more by the time you buy enough P2 cards to shoot for a day. If you're doing documentary work, I would not recommend it unless you can afford plenty of cards, and then have the time to load all your footage and make backups on hard drives or DLT or something.

As far as compatibility with others...if they have an HDV deck, and if you shoot in the 60i mode, you'll be fine. But Canon's 24 frames per second mode won't play in a Sony deck (and neither will JVC's for that matter). But at least you can give someone a tape. With the HVX you would have to take the camera and load the footage and then make a tape using a deck.

You might also want to look at the new Sony Z7, which is HDV but also will record to a flash memory device that attaches to the back. These cards are relatively cheap, compared to P2. However, before getting too far into tapeless recording, give some serious thought to the workflow. I have a documentary going now that's into close to 30 tapes. That would be a lot of hours of capturing footage, making backups, then making DLT or BluRay backups because I wouldn't want all my original footage living only on a hard drive. The irony of using DLT (tape) to archive a tapeless format is definitely there, but that's what lots of folks do. Sony has a small, cheap (relatively--it's about $2500) burner that you can use to make XDCAM HD discs of your EX1 footage, which is nice. But you still have to capture the footage and then make the discs. If you're out of town on a documentary shoot, this would be problematic unless you could afford enough cards to get you through the shoot. Same holds true for P2. With the EX, however, you get more footage per card, so it's not quite as much of a problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM   #1511
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soriano View Post
Hey folks, i am about to step into the HD/HDV world with a camera purchase.

I want to pull the trigger on the Panasonic but ...
Well... I think you should wait until after the news at NAB. This is a bad time to buy a camera. a week or two from now you might need to make a totally different decision.

I don't normally advocate waiting like that- but NAB is just a week or so away now. (April 11-17)

If I were buying right now then I'd look seriously at the Sony PMW-EX1, The Panasonic HPX500 and the Panasoninc HVX 200. That's it.

So you have my actual advice to wait, and a few choices if you have to buy right now.

As far as the difference between the Canon XH-G1 and XH-A1... as someone else alluded its the "Jack Pack." The most important feature there is HD/SDI output, which effectively can turn that camera into a 1920x1080 4:2:2 camera recording any codec you choose. That and the ability noted elsewhere to do genlock for multicamera productions. Its something you may never use- but you definitely should look into it... because if you do need it is worth far more than the price difference.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #1512
Regular Crew

Confused

well guys sorry for interrupting but i read so many threads in so many places but still didn't get the difference between 24p and 25p or 50i/60i it seems so complicated which i don't even want to know anymore.... anyway Im a wedding videographer usually and sometimes Events like concerts, and now trying to move from DV to HD, i just want to know what is the best frame rate when filming a wedding movie i think concerts and weddings are the same except the lighting part, quality matters a lot
Thank You guys and sorry if I'm asking in wrong place
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #1513
Major Player

Quote:
still didn't get the difference between 24p and 25p or 50i/60i it seems so complicated which i don't even want to know anymore
All you need to know is that 60i mode is the best except maybe in low light. ;)
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #1514
Inner Circle

If you're not sure and you've no time to shoot and critically evaluate some A / B test footage, I'd say stick to capturing clean, unfiltered, default shutter speed, interlaced footage. You can then muck about with it in post to give you all sorts of clever arty effects, but your client base (beautiful brides) may not want to have it looking thus up front and irreversible.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1515
Contributor

For weddings the only advantage to 24fps would be that you might gain a half stop or so under low light because you'd be shooting 24 frames per second at a 1/48 shutter speed, over 30 frames per second at a 1/60 shutter speed.

As far as 50i/60i, 50i/25fps is for PAL countries. In NTSCland we have 60i/30fps.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion