The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 10th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #91
ThreeSixtyProductions

Just a question for Ken Tanaka

"..my BeachTek will continue to provide XLR functionality to my GL2. It's a sturdy, metal casing that places the cable weight and dial-fiddling at the bottom-rear of the camera where it belongs...."

Interesting point, my only concern/question how sturdy is the minijack plug that connects the beachtek to the the GL2.?

Can you still use the manual controls on the GL2 as well as the beachtek?

I would be really interested in seeking the schematic for the accessory shoe to learn what the different pins are for. Might be able to make a very low profile connector to fit the accesory shoe. Bypass the minjack plug suck some phantom power. If you really wanted to be cheeky I am sure that the mini light that canon sells would draw the phantom power so you might be able to get the light to work and also hijack the audio ch1 and ch2 without power and plug into a beachtek/studio one.
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:56 AM   #92
Regular Crew

ken,

are there any other alternatives to the beechtek?

tony
Tony Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #93
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes. Studio 1 has a comparable unit. See http://www.studio1productions.com/

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #94
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: BeachTek

Yes, both the level controls on the BeachTek as well as those on the GL2 are active. The dials on the BeachTek control the level of each XLR channel, as you'd expect. The dials on the GL2 control the levels coming into the camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 01:21 AM   #95
Certified Drunk

Which Camera to buy? MTB Action

Hello, NEWBIE Alert! YOU should have used the search! OK OK OK
I'm looking to get a new DV camcorder. It will be used to video tape downhill mountain biking and other crazy stuff. I've used some Sony's and JVC home camera's and it's time for a better camera! The GL2 looks good any other I should look at?
Also can you plug a external camera into the GL2? Running a helmet camera is a plus.
Old September 13th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #96
Obstreperous Rex

When you plug another camera into the GL2, it becomes a DV recording deck, and if this is something you're going to do a lot, then you might want to consider an inexpensive 1-chip consumer DV camcorder like the Canon ZR40 for the "use it as a deck" purpose.

Your two main camera manufacturer choices down in the prosumer / high-end consumer range are Canon and Sony, because they're the only ones which will let you do zoom and focus "the right way," remotely from the tripod handle. If you're mostly handheld, this may not be a big deal.

The different manufacturers have different color signatures to their video. For instance a lot of folks like Canon because the video is warmer and softer than your usual harsh, cold video.

The important thing is to try before you buy. The right camera for you is the one that feels right in your hands, and whose video looks best to you on a proper video monitor.

In the 3-chip DV camcorder world, you should look at the Sony TRV950, Sony VX2000, Canon GL2, and what's the Panasonic model Frank Granovski likes so much? MX3000 or something like that I think. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 10:16 PM   #97
Mark Kolodny

need cam for whitewater rafting vid

Hello,

I plan to shoot a video while rafting Class V whitewater and would appreciate any recommendations for a suitable mini-DV camera. The model I'm looking for must meet the following criteria:

1. 3 CCDs

2. compact design, easily held and operated with one hand

3. has a dedicated waterproof (to at least 15ft/ 5m) housing accessory made by a competent third party

4. cam alone is under $2500 U.S.

Thanks,

Mark
Old September 16th, 2002, 01:38 AM   #98
Outer Circle

The first cam that comes to mind is the 1 CCD cam from Canon, the Optura 200MC.

The second cam that comes to mind is the MX5000 through Tim:

www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Both these cams offer high quality video, and have an optical image stabilizer.

You may also want to check out the GL2, but it'll cost over $2500 US after you bought an extra, larger battery for it and a waterproof case. It also has an optical stabilizer (and a nice big 20X zoom). But I presume you wouldn't need this kind of zoom, and you might even want to look into a wide angle adaptor (lens attachment).

Tim can also get you the waterproof case for the MX5000 (and wide angle), but this will push up the price (of course).

If I had to pick one, I'd pick from these 3 excellent cams, but I'd lean towards the 200MC. A fellow I know has shot lots of good white water footage with his 2 Elura cams (the old one with the optical stabilizer), and now also uses a GL2.

1) The 200MC is a small, single chip upright
2) The MX5000 is a small, triple chip hand-held
3) The GL2 is a larger, triple chip hand-held, yet easy to hold (with one hand).

Check with the dealers/sponsers of this site for where to buy either the Canon Optura 200MC or GL2.

Tim for the MX5000 is another good choice.

My choice would be the Optura 200MC. If you want, I can re-direct a spec review article I have.

granit@imag.net (my e-mail)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #99
Mark Kolodny

Frank,

I like the GL2 and came close to buying one this summer, but its size might well present problems for the purpose stated above.

The Optura 200mc does have Optical Image Stabilization, but has only one CCD and is otherwise a downgrade of sorts from previous models, e.g., smaller CCD, smaller lens, Canon got rid of progressive scan on most if not all of the consumer DV cams for reasons unknown. if you feel otherwise I'd love to see the review you mentioned.

The whole Panasonic MX-5000 quagmire: I've now seen the nasty debate on DV.com concerning the grey market situation that US residents like myself must deal with in order to buy one of these intriguing cams. Not being able to play with one before pruchasing is a major negative for me.

Thanks,

Mark
Old September 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM   #100
Regular Crew

If Chris don't mind me redirecting, Rick!! had a thread on this over at the Justeditors.com forum.
He'd put a video of himself whitewater canoeing.

Peter
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #101
Outer Circle

I see, you want small, you want frame mode, and you want a 3 chip. I'd then go with the MX via Tim. I have it's PDF manual download links at:

I've known Tim for over 2 years, and heard nothing but good feedback from people who have bought from him.

I realize Canon downgraded the lens and CCD with the 200MC, they did this to make the cam smaller. The 100MC was a very large upright model. Just send me an e-mail, and I'll redirect that spec/info review. I haven't yet seen the 200MC, just read up on it. It looks nice, though, and looks like it's easier to hold than the 100MC.

That Walsh23 post, I'll also e-mail you about who this trouble maker is. I was shocked to discover who the culprit was. Since he realized that I and other dv.com members know about is identity, he's since yanked most of his reference with of his wedding, cam shoot-out! It's now just about his son's wedding. Go figure.
Old September 16th, 2002, 10:50 PM   #102
Outer Circle

Certified Drunk, I would just buy a smaller, 1 chip camera for that. If you wipe out, and the camera breaks, you're not going to be out that much money. Get one with an optical stabilizer...I can only think of 2:

Panasonic PV-DV852
Canon Optura 200MC

...as far as 1 CCD cams go for in the 2002 lineup. Did I miss one?

If you want a small 3 chip, look at the MX3000 or better the MX5000. It'll cost you a bit more, however; and you'll have to get used to a little Japanese.

Old September 18th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #103
Wrangler

Whatever you get, buy it from a major seller that tries to soak you with extended warrenties that most people will never need. Buy those warrenties. That way when you bring your camera back in a bag in 200 pieces, you can laugh as you leave with a new camera. Maybe a bit of an exageration, but you get my point, I'm sure.

And I would get the smallest lightest camera you can, personaly.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 10:15 AM   #104
Wrangler

Along the same topic...
I was going to buy a new Canon mini-upright camera to use as a deck and for personal/fun use. I was also thinking about taking it white water rafting so I would need a housing for it. Could someone direct me to a link of waterproof/underwater housings? I'm mostly looking for cheapest.
Thanks
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #105
Mark Kolodny

I'm looking into underwater housings right now. I will of course ask the DVInfo.Net sponsors for their recommendations. Going for a swim with the camera 9unintentionally) is a real possibility where I'll be.

As far as compact 3-CCD cams go someone also mentioned the new SONY TRV-950, but the general consensus is that it's a bit lacking in ergonomic quality, particularly easy one-hand operation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion