Sony NXCAM -- Announcement Coming November 18th - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #106
Inner Circle

You might also like to try GV NEO with the Booster pack that has a 30 day trial.

Ron Evans
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for your help Barry!

I'll give 4.2 a go for a while & see how I get on :)
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #108
Regular Crew

NXCAM Pricing ?

Anyone know estimate pricing for Sony NXCAM? USD3000? or less
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #109
Trustee

Since the Z5 costs $4,100, this NXCAM will not be anywhere close to $3,000. More like a street price of $4,500. Still, I'm hoping for no more than $4,000.
But then again, April is a long way and Sony may want to think twice about pricing it too high if Panasonic decides to release a successor of the HMC150 with the same chips that's in their HPX300.
As far as Canon is concerned, with all that time that there spending, what ever they release better be good to make it worth the wait.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #110
Regular Crew

It remains to be seen how Sony and others will react to the Red Scarlet. For $3700 one can purchase a 4K camera with 2/3" sensor, removable lens and a better codec than AVCHD.

If Sony want to remain relevant, they're going to have to price the NXCAM around $1800 and a removable lens version (ala Z7U) around $3000.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #111
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie James View Post
operation 6x10......tape run 0x10
drum run 1x10....threading 2x10..Excuse my ignorance - but are these stats good for a second hand camera, futhermore - what do they actually mean?
It means the Z5 has been turned on for 60 hours, has run less that 10 tapes and laced and unlaced less than 30 of them. It's hardly been used.

Of course these are just numerical figures. If the loading and ejecting of tapes is done on a wind-swept beach then these 20+ will be far more damaging than 300 loadings done on an English summer lawn.

tom.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palomer View Post
For $3700 one can purchase a 4K camera with 2/3" sensor, removable lens and a better codec than AVCHD.
For $3700 one cannot do that -- yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #113
Inner Circle

FWIW, we should know more from RED on Monday...
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #114
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
For $3700 one cannot do that -- yet.
No doubt. If Scarlet is for real, then forget about these other guys... if and when.
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #115
Obstreperous Rex

Might as well state the obvious: there's an Internet Law specific to this particular market which states that any new camera announcement from any manufacturer will invariably and inevitably draw a comparison to RED. I think that's remarkable.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #116
Trustee

I would definitely like to see a full packaged Red Scarlet with an interchangeable lens included for $3,700. If that comes out at around the same time as this NXCAM than yes it will make a dent.

Lest wait until we see the prices and dates first.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #117
Inner Circle

Should this be a reason for a new acronym?! I propose... FRED (sorta like FUD)

Fear... I will buy the wrong camera just as RED announces something?

Ridicule - from everyone waiting for RED because I bought and used something else...

Ephemera - the promise of "something" ghost like on the horizon that makes my camera an obsolete piece of junk...

Doubt - well, we all know the minute you buy some new tech gadget it's "obsolete" and replaced by something better, so why does this still surprise us???
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #118
Trustee

As for the NXCAM pricing, I hope Sony prices it with a mindful eye on competitive products rather than just within their own products. The big jack-up of the EX-1R price is not encouraging. The new features incorporated in the EX-1R are nice but there is no way they justify the BIG price increase. Personally, I resent that; it makes it seem like a ripoff. If Sony's marketing staff are looking outward to the market rather than inward to their company's politics, we should see a reasonable price for the NXCAM - time will tell. As for now, it doesn't even have a model number yet.
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #119
Inner Circle

I have a Mini DV tape deck taken from a camcorder here in front of me, and it's an eye-popping assembly of tightly-toleranced, delicate, beautiful, complex and tiny parts. OK, they've been building these for 15 years now but even so, when you look at it you want to breathe the other way for fear of upsetting the micro-engineering balance of the thing.

Then the NXCAM pops up and all this delicate electromechanical engineering is jettisoned, and in its place is a couple of card slots with a few gold-plated edge contacts. Boy, look at the space saving! Look at the increased reliability (and fewer warranty returns). Look at the cost savings in build, test and number of parts used.

It looks to me as I marvel at the intricate workings of this tape deck that the NX should in fact be loads cheaper than the Z5 to produce. The fact that it won't be reflects Sony's market position, justifiably earned in my view.

tom.
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #120
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
The new features incorporated in the EX-1R are nice but there is no way they justify the BIG price increase. Personally, I resent that; it makes it seem like a ripoff.
The EX1R costs $6,300 at B&H in case you didn't know. The difference in price isn't really that much compared to the older EX1.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...M_EX_Full.html
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders