Sony NXCAM -- Announcement Coming November 18th - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM   #91
Trustee

I am using (don't laugh...) Corel VideoStudio Pro x2 and my graphics card is ASUS EAH 4350. So could my NLE habdle the AVCHD?

Stelios
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #92
Regular Crew

I like the idea of the NXCAM, as I have been looking at buying the Z5 for quite some time.

Only issue is, my computer has an Intel Quad Core i7 2.93 GHz processor, 2 GB DDR3 RAM & an Nvidia graphics card and struggles to edit the AVCHD footage from my current cam (Canon HG10), and I can't see the NXCAM being any less processor hungry.

So, in my position, I guess I'm better off sticking with the idea of the Z5? I could always buy the HVR-MRC1K right?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM   #93
Inner Circle

You can always transcode the footage to something your NLE is more happy with, if you have the time.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #94
Regular Crew

David - What would you suggest converting it to? I'm using Premiere CS4.

Surely, If I was to transcode the AVCHD footage, I'd be just as well buying the Z5 & just capturing the tape to my PC. That way i've got a hard copy too?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #95
Inner Circle

Ollie:

NeoScene from Cineform transcodes both HDV and ACHDV for a sweet editing experience. I am hoping NeoScene will handle the NXCam ACHDV the same as it does for the Canon 5D and 7D. You should take look at the Cineform forum for more information, or go to Cineform.com. For professional results, I think it is important to transcode from these capture formats to an editable format no matter which way you go.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your reply. I will check Neoscene out!

I've just found a Z5 on eBay for £1400 (bids). The seller has added this to the listing:

operation 6x10......tape run 0x10
drum run 1x10....threading 2x10..

Excuse my ignorance - but are these stats good for a second hand camera, futhermore - what do they actually mean?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Don't know about Premiere.

Regarding your second point, the NXCAM seems to have certain other advantages over the Z5, a 720p/50 mode being one of them. Sony are also making a lot about the high res viewfinder, and I think there's a lot more.

It really depends if you really want tape or not. I know quite a few people who want it for the DVCAM/tape backwards compatability at times, yet also want an HD compatability. It's becoming different now that solid state doesn't necessarily mean expensive media. And whilst you may not be able to edit AVC-HD natively now, maybe you'll be upgrading your edit system within the lifetime of the camera?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Fair points David. I won't have the money for a new cam for a couple of months anyway - so I will re-consult you guys regarding my final choice once I know the cost of the NXCAM compared to the Z5.

Thanks for your help to date!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM   #99
Trustee

I am also in the same boat as Ollie. Waiting to see the price of this new camera and also if NeoScene from Cineform can easily convert the AVCHD files to something that my PC and NLE can handle easily (as Chris Barcellos says) then I will buy this new camera to pair with my Z5.

Stelios
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
I am using (don't laugh...) Corel VideoStudio Pro x2 and my graphics card is ASUS EAH 4350. So could my NLE habdle the AVCHD?

Stelios
Stelios, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 is just a step down of Premiere Pro or Final Cut.
In fact, it is MediaStudio Pro 8 (discontinued) with less tracks. If Corel puts 2 or 3 audio tracks more this app will be the best behing PP or FC.
Ah, it has 6 video tracks, very powerful for an "aficionado video editor".

Well, VideoStudio Pro X2 can works with proxy files. It can convert all files to something lighter in size and can get "any" codec that you have installed in your computer. Total flexibility.

I'm editing HDV without proxys in a XP SP3, 3 Gigas RAM and Intel Dual Core 3 GHZ. Perfect.

I have made some tests one year ago with some Panasonic HG-150 clips and works well with proxys and very bad in native mode.

And no, I don't lough. I smile because this app is a little treasure ;)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM   #101
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie James View Post
David - What would you suggest converting it to? I'm using Premiere CS4.
Have you upgraded to CS4.2? Your system should easily be playing back AVCHD, full-screen, full-frame rate, in realtime. Make sure you update to the latest version and try it again.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM   #102
Trustee

Mikel

You made my day!!! because I also love this program because it has everything that I want for my requirements and certainly my clients, so far, are happy with the product I deliver using VideoStudio Pro x2.

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; November 23rd, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
Have you upgraded to CS4.2? Your system should easily be playing back AVCHD, full-screen, full-frame rate, in realtime. Make sure you update to the latest version and try it again.
Barry - No, I haven't as I didn't realise there was another update (I installed 4.1 not so long ago). I will install & let you know how it goes.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #104
Regular Crew

I've installed the update, and it's great - a lot quicker to load aswell as smooth play back of AVCHD. Would it still be a better option to use NeoScene to convert the footage anyway?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #105
Barry Wan Kenobi

My experience with NeoScene is that it is nowhere near as fast as the native AVCHD files, in either Premiere or Vegas. However, I am assured that that is abnormal behavior, and so I'm filing a support ticket with Cineform to see if we can figure out what the problem is.

So -- if you're happy with the way your system performs with AVCHD now, I can't see why you'd want to go to another format, spend a hundred dollars, and increase your file sizes by 10x. (I'm using NeoScene mainly to get rid of the 2:3 pulldown in GH1 footage).

But, on the other hand, if you're still not happy with the AVCHD performance in 4.2, then try downloading the demo of NeoScene and see how it works for you. It's very inexpensive and if it makes you happy, then you're happy!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders