Sony HXR-NX5U and HDR-AX2000 Camcorder - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #91
Regular Crew

nx5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
the NX5 does have the histogram function and everything Cristian mentioned. I meddled with the prototype about 3 weeks ago. I'm getting the production model this Friday for another test run.
Sean, are you sure that NX5 does have the options I talked about?
I wrote an e-mail to Sony concerning my questions and somebody replied and kindly gave me some answers:
-Histogram and shot transition are not supported in either the NX5 or the AX2000
-Interval recording is not actually supported in the AX2000
-The NX5 features the ability to change the gamma curves in a similar way to the HVR-Z5E. It does not go to the same level of picture profile settings as the XDCAM EX cameras

He gave me a link with the manual, and is the same i found on the internet. No extra options.
I admit I am a bit disappointed. Still, I will buy it, I don't see an alternative.
So, when you got the production model, please give us your impressions about the camcorder, and maybe some (raw) footage, if you have the time.
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #92
Wrangler

@ Michael - That's was with either of the two modes. A bit noisier with Active Stabilization as the servo was working harder.

@ Adam - I only pointed out the power switch because it was the record button within it that I was truly speaking of. Sorry for any confusion on that.

BTW, one other little titbit just came to mind. The battery looks like the other Sony L series batteries, but is different. The contacts are different and require a different charger.

-gb-
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Hmmm... AX2000 is shown as "In Stock" at B&H?
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #94
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
BTW, one other little titbit just came to mind. The battery looks like the other Sony L series batteries, but is different. The contacts are different and require a different charger.

-gb-
The manual and all the other data I have seen says that the batteries are the same. The charger is new though. The NP-F570 which is the stock for the AX2000, NP-F770 stock for the NX5 and the NP-F970. All have been around since the FX1 that I have which came stock with the NP-F570 ( just like the AX2000, typical cost cutting from Pro to Prosumer model) and I bought a NP-F970. I have the AC-VQ850 charger which will charge L and M series batteries. The investment in batteries and charger, LANC controllers is one reason that I have stayed with Sony as buying a whole other set of chargers and batteries really adds to the cost of a new camera. I just hope they really are the same as the NX5 is likely my next camera to replace the FX1 which is starting to not look so good next to the video from the XR500.

Ron Evans
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #95
Inner Circle

Sony has used the NP-F series for a LONG time, without changes in their pro/prosumer cams, I'd be surprised to see that change.

OTOH, on the "consumer" side, they change model #'s and fiddle with compatibility - the NP-FP series that fit the HC3 wasn't compatible with cameras that use the NP-FH series, and the newest top of the line XR/CX550V seem to be using a NP-FV battery that's "new" - looks physically compatible with the NP-FH (the NP-FP was "close", but they changed the tabs slightly so they wouldn't quite fit the FH cavity - you could alter the tabs on the battery, it would start the cam but give an error message - something like "go buy all new batteries you cheapskate"...). I'm suspecting they are going to do something to electronically (and perhaps play with the tabs again) lock out the FH series from working in the newest cams.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #96
Wrangler

I was comparing the battery and charger for the NX camera to those used in the EX cameras. They look similar, but are different.

-gb-
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
I only pointed out the power switch because it was the record button within it that I was truly speaking of.
No, I got that part. What I'm curious about is that this seems to be the exact same REC button/POWER arrangement as every Sony I've had for the past 20 years or so. I guess I'm curious as to whether you find the generic arrangement too easy to inadvertently push the REC button, or if this particular execution is somehow different from all the other Sonys in this class? I see that it is a completely different arrangement from the EXes, but appears to be identical to everything with a Z (V, FX, AX, VX, PD) in the name.

A minor point but puzzling.
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #98
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu View Post
Sean, are you sure that NX5 does have the options I talked about?
I wrote an e-mail to Sony concerning my questions and somebody replied and kindly gave me some answers:
-Histogram and shot transition are not supported in either the NX5 or the AX2000
-Interval recording is not actually supported in the AX2000
-The NX5 features the ability to change the gamma curves in a similar way to the HVR-Z5E. It does not go to the same level of picture profile settings as the XDCAM EX cameras

He gave me a link with the manual, and is the same i found on the internet. No extra options.
I admit I am a bit disappointed. Still, I will buy it, I don't see an alternative.
So, when you got the production model, please give us your impressions about the camcorder, and maybe some (raw) footage, if you have the time.
My apologies Cristian, you were right! There is no histogram function. Only peaking and one zebra. I'm disappointed too but looking at the price position, that is something they did not include to differenciate the gap.

I didnt find any interval recording except for a smooth slow rec function which is like slow motion/overcranking.

The video is being uploaded now and I will release it here once its up. I did not manage to pit it against the z5 as I had no access. It is not fair to compare it to an EX1 so there was no comparison this time.
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #99
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
No, I got that part. What I'm curious about is that this seems to be the exact same REC button/POWER arrangement as every Sony I've had for the past 20 years or so. I guess I'm curious as to whether you find the generic arrangement too easy to inadvertently push the REC button, or if this particular execution is somehow different from all the other Sonys in this class? I see that it is a completely different arrangement from the EXes, but appears to be identical to everything with a Z (V, FX, AX, VX, PD) in the name.
I'll readily admit that I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the other Sony camera lines you pointed out. I'm only saying what happened as I was handling the camera and noticed that I had started recording. Whether there is more or less thumb pressure required on this cam than the ones you mentioned is something I'm not qualified to answer. It might be a non issue to someone who has used any of the other camera models that you mentioned.

All that aside, I would still like the record button to require more pressure to operate, and/or be more recessed in the power switch ring.

-gb-
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #100
Inner Circle

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #101
Major Player

As much as I love Sony cameras, one thing I learned a few years ago when I started the 7U recall was that no matter what requests Sony has regarding customization of their cameras, or heeding the advice and suggestions by users of their equipment, they are still oblivious to any standardization.

For instance, there were enough inquires about the power button being on the hand grip of the VX/PD/FX/Z1 cameras that with the Z7U series, the power button was placed on the left top. The reason for this was to minimize the accidental turning off of the camera.

Of course it wouldn't make any sense for Sony to continue this, as with the NX5U, it's gone back to the very place that they clearly stated they were moving away from in the first place.

More over, the IRIS button on a few generations ago was changed from a button to a dial as per owner recommendations and while, unlike the Z7U this would not apply as that camera has a removeable lens and separate iris controls, the NX5U is going back to the button selection (even though the ring on the lens will operate it).

I can't state that I'm thrilled that there's no histogram - why would this be excluded?

I have a few of these on order so we shall see what happens. I just can't understand the logic to things sometimes.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #102
Regular Crew

Nx5

Sean, I agree. Sony wanted to keep the price at the same level with Z5. I think they will release a newer camera, NX7 or something like that, which will have all the goodies included. Unfortunately I can't wait any longer, the NX5 it will have to do.
I'm waiting too see your video, until then I found another test... it sould be called "how bad NX5 can do"
YouTube - NX5 ????
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #103
Trustee

Finally managed to get this up to Youtube. Vimeo failed 4x after 2hrs of uploading time!!!
Video is still being processed, tune back later..

YouTube - HWM Sony NX5 Review
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Thank you, Sean. You're the first to give a review for the final product.
I hope not to upset you, maybe you can upload for us a few seconds of raw material somewhere. The video on Youtube is awfully compressed.
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #105
Trustee

The video looks bad as it is still under compression.

Is there a service in dvinfonet that I can host the raw files?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders