DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Need help saving NXCAM files to a laptop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/473795-need-help-saving-nxcam-files-laptop.html)

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 10:39 AM

Need help saving NXCAM files to a laptop

I'll be traveling overseas with the NX5U and FMU-128 and I want to be able to download my footage a couple of times a day. Are there any third party file conversion programs that I can use other than Log and Transfer in FCP?

I'm using a mac book (not the pro) and I don't think it is powerful enough for FCP2 and obviously, I can't use Sony's content management utility as it is for PC only.

Finally, I'd prefer to be editing on Avid Media Composer when I return, but I can use FCP or Premier if need be.

Any suggestions? Hope someone can help me with this.
Thanks

Benny Ek February 28th, 2010 12:25 PM

Drag the MTS files into a folder and use Roxio Toast 10 to convert to ProRes.
It works great if you don't have final cut pro

Adam Welz February 28th, 2010 02:27 PM

Chuck, remember to copy over and archive the WHOLE contents of the memory card -- not just the .mts files.

The video files need the other accompanying files to be with them at all times for them to be read properly by edit systems.

Cheers

Adam

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 02:41 PM

Thanks. This is really helpful. I'll buy Toast 10 tonight.
It apparently doesn't work with Toast 9.

BTW some of your website images are really quite nice.

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Welz (Post 1492544)
Chuck, remember to copy over and archive the WHOLE contents of the memory card -- not just the .mts files.

The video files need the other accompanying files to be with them at all times for them to be read properly by edit systems.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Adam,
So, just to clarify: all of the files including the .mts files get thrown into toast?

Benny Ek February 28th, 2010 02:43 PM

Thanks Chuck.
Yes. 10.06 and higher is best to use with MTS Files. The earlier versions had some audio sync issues. It's a great app for MANY reasons. you will get you mileage out of it.

Benny Ek February 28th, 2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fishbein (Post 1492552)
Thanks Adam,
So, just to clarify: all of the files including the .mts files get thrown into toast?

Out of experience I can tell you that the only files you need to drag into the Toast window are The ACTUAL MTS files.
I know others will beg to differ since on a pc the process is different.
I just did it AGAIN as a test.
MTS files into toast and choose your settings to convert to. Thats it. No other files reside on my system from the camera. Just the MTS files.

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 03:17 PM

Thanks again. I'll download Toast 10 tonight and try it. This will work well for my work flow. Unfortunately, pro res422 loses sync on long takes when used in avid, but there were plenty of other options to chose from.

Michael Murie February 28th, 2010 04:55 PM

Just to clarify, some apps need the entire file structure, but many don't.

Final Cut Pro does need the entire file structure, or Log and Transfer won't work, so if you want to have the option of later using L&T, then you should make a backup of the entire file structure.

You also need to use the camera to erase the files once you've copied them (if you erase them while the FMU or memory card is connected to the computer you can corrupt the file structure and L&T won't read them.)

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 05:15 PM

Has Sony at all hinted that there will be apps similar to XDCAM Transfer and Clip Browser for the NXCAM format? Or is this only an issue for Avid users? (Like XDCAM was at first)

Chuck Fishbein February 28th, 2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Murie (Post 1492603)
Just to clarify, some apps need the entire file structure, but many don't.

Final Cut Pro does need the entire file structure, or Log and Transfer won't work, so if you want to have the option of later using L&T, then you should make a backup of the entire file structure.

You also need to use the camera to erase the files once you've copied them (if you erase them while the FMU or memory card is connected to the computer you can corrupt the file structure and L&T won't read them.)

So, if I am transferring to uncompressed QT or "none" compression QT or photo jpg I would not need the data? Only for FCP?

Michael Murie March 1st, 2010 10:34 AM

I only have experience with Final Cut Pro and VoltaicHD, which is a standalone AVCHD conversion app.

VoltaicHD (I guess like Roxio Toast) does not require the file structure; you can just drag the AVCHD file into the app and away you go.

I've found VoltaicHD useful for extracting file's I've archived without the file structure, but the downside is that I find VoltaicHD is much slower than Final Cut.

I don't know why FCP needs the file structure; I don't know that it provides information that's relevant to the recompression of the video data (i.e. impacts the compressor you're going to.)

Benny Ek March 1st, 2010 11:06 AM

Voltaic HD has trouble with files from theNX5U cam. Something about the audio files. I tried the newest version and it would not accept the files due to incompatible audio codecs. I would stick with Toast until Voltaic puts out an update. IMO

Chuck Fishbein March 2nd, 2010 04:04 PM

thanks to all who responded

Adam Welz March 2nd, 2010 10:35 PM

archiving

bottom line: If you want to archive the images you get out of your NX5, be sure to archive all the files on the card, not just the .mts files. That way you will increase the chances that apps like FCP will be able to see and transcode the footage properly.

If you're doing quick n dirty jobs and don't need to archive your footage for longer than it takes to edit, some apps are happy with just the .mts files.

Cheers

Adam