Nx5 or AG-HPX170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nx5 or AG-HPX170

Has any one worked with both please give me your thoughts.
My prime use will be to use in multicam operation,talking heads, concerts...

I need sdi conectors, low light recording and the ability to do all flavors of resolutions. any thing else is great.

please adise

Ric Marrty
Ric Marrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

my only comment is that the Sony flip-out LCD is much finer res than most everything else equivalent on the market. It makes a huge difference!

A
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Marrty View Post
Has any one worked with both please give me your thoughts.
My prime use will be to use in multicam operation,talking heads, concerts...

I need sdi conectors, low light recording and the ability to do all flavors of resolutions. any thing else is great.

please adise

Ric Marrty
Depends on if you're able to spend extra on the P2 recording media, and whether CMOS vs CCD is a huge issue for you. I went with the NX5U. Should be in this week or next!
Christopher Kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In my filming I do a lot of panning and zooming for subjects which are moving very fast.

I've used an HPX170 when it first came out and found the 1080 format not be really good when comparing with the 720. When comparing this feature with the NXCAM, there is none to be made, the NXCAM is far better, both 720 and 1080 are very good.

The HPX170 has a 13x zoom lens comparing to a 20x for the NXCAM.

P2 card are way more expensive than SDHC cards. For the price of a P2 card you can get a 128 gb flash memory drive for the NXCAM.

Slow motion is a really nice feature provided with the HPX170, the NXCAM allows you to film slow motion but I did not have a chance to try.

Neither did I have the chance to film in low light condition but will do at the end of this month.

Instead of the HPX170, I would have went with the HMC150. This camera has similar features than the 170 but records on SD cards.

One nice feature the NXCAM provides is to film SD (MPEG2) and HD (AVCHD) simultaneously. That was one of my requirements. DVDs can be created with MPEG2 files without requiring to be re-encoded. AVCHD are automatically recoded in Prores when being transferred within FinalCut Pro.

One thing I do not like with the NXCAM is the fact the composite, component, hdmi and SDI port are not all active at the same time. You have to select the one you want.

It seems only the SDI-HD and the HDMI port can be both active.

Over all, I am extremely please with my NXCAM.

Great camera.

Hope it helps, I will know better when shooting a very dark show at the end of the month.
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Panasonic HMC-150 has a terrible flip-out screen compared to the Sony NX5, IMHO.

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders