NX5U: how is it with extremely slow zooms? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U: how is it with extremely slow zooms?

Today I was in a showroom playing with the EX1-R and was surprised to learn that its ability to zoom very slowly, at a creep, was not possible using the zoom rocker on the wrist ...there was a stuttering problem and it was surprising to see this as a sporadic known issue with the EX1R and EX3 (confirmed by other internet blogs).

I am hoping that for the NX5U that the user reports are more friendly. When you do a talking head interview, there are those moments where you want to zoom in or out in a barely perceptible way. On the $6,000 EX1R this would not be possible using that wrist rocker if you ended up with one of those affected models.

What are user experiences with the NX5U zoom? Both using the rocker and doing it manually?

Can you get a buttery smooth zoom or does it fall a bit short?

Thanks,

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

John

one man's buttery slow zoom is another's jerky zoom... as in, how do you define the zoom you're after?

The NX5 has a mini zoom rocker on the top handle that can be switched from variable to fixed speed -- and the fixed speed can be preset in the menus. The main zoom rocker on the side does not seem to have a fixed-speed option.

I find the variable rocker switches both a bit hard to control in terms of zoom speed (they don't stutter, though) but when the top one is set to fixed, on speed '1', you can get some even slow zooms.

Your mileage may vary. Try it out.

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

To slow down the zoom I use on my Z5 the shot trans function and set the transitiontime to 90 sec. This gives me a very smooth and slow zoom!
Dirk PEL(NL)
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You can also use a LANC controller with fixed speed option to get to the lowest speed.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The handle zoom on the NX5 can be set to fixed, and provides a moderately slow zoom which is handy. Not sure if the speed can be customised, not something I've looked at yet.

Scotts
Scott Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

using manual control, can you get a feathered zoom?

I realize that trying to get a zoom with the rocker switch on the NX5U sounds like it is limiting. And people have different definitions of what a smooth zoom is...and what is achievable using third party zoom controllers...though the Libec is getting great reviews.

But back to my point about "manual"....let's say you are shooting an intimate interview...you want to do an extremely slow creep in...can you manually zoom in (not using the rocker switch) and get a feathered zoom? I've been able to do that with the PD150 and can can a smooth transition from beginning to end just using the zoom ring and make it work. Is it possible to do the same with the manual zoom ring on the NX5U?

John
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

John, why don't you try it? I mean, you seem to be asking a question that no-one but you can really answer! I can't imagine it being worse than a PD-170.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Unfortunately no vendor in LA has the camera out for display because they are sold out and they are backordered...so NAB may be my first opportunity to get a hands-on experience!
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

In my opinion, the best results or slow steady zooms are
1. a third party rocker zoom. I love my varizoom rocker
2. the onboard rocker
3. manual zoom on the lens.

This is my own opinion and someone else may have a more steady hand to get that manual zoom smooth at a slow speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders