Buffer Overflow Problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buffer Overflow Problem.

Well I am glad I got the camera early to experiment with before I shoot an event. I got the overflow problem last night. I am still trying to gather all the info about what happened and will be getting a hold of sony so I can see what I need to do. I wasn't the one shooting the video and not even there, so I am waiting to hear back on what was going on, but I do have the camera set to record to the FMU and an SD card, it is a kingston class 4 16gb card. Not sure if that will have any bearing on things or not. I will post back as I get any info, just wanted to let everyone know.

Ryan
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Ryan

I am in touch with Sony about this issue -- they are still trying to figure it out in the lab in Japan.

What I advise it to post here ALL the settings you had it on (yes, I know that's a pain) and also NOT to erase the card with the clip on it, as Sony might want that from you to analyse.

Did the camera also go into a deep crash after the buffer overflow, and did it manage to recover the clip or not???

Look forward to hearing more!

Regards

Adam (The Original Buffer Overflow-er)
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Adam,

I was hoping you would chime in. Honestly I didn't even get a chance to touch the camera yet. I did talk to the person that was filming, and he was doing a short clip and it displayed the error message and went into the recovery mode and he couldn't get it out of it. So I will mess with it tonight and see what I can come up with. I will do what I can to post settings when I get home. From memory here is what they are

Manual mode
Auto focus: on
Whitebalance; Preset B
auto iris
gain set at 0
1080 60i HQ to both memory card and FMU
no GPS
auto shutter speed

Is there someone that you have been in contact with that you can forward the info to me so I can get ahold of them and that way we can hopefully get something worked out better/faster with them.

Thanks
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

double posted, sorry

Last edited by Ryan Mason; March 19th, 2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: double posted, sorry
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Ryan

could you 1) confirm the various settings, including AUDIO -- PCM or other, etc.

2) tell me if you interrupted a clip while shooting with either a battery going flat or removing a battery or power source, or turning off the camera before the crash occurred.

3) How far into the clip the cam crashed

4) if the clip was recovered or not on restart.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It was in Dolby sound, not LPCM. I just switched to the Dolby as I can't get the LPCM to work with vegas.

Nothing was interrupted while shooting, it just locked up in the middle of shooting.

I will let you know if I can recover it and how long it was recording when it crashed tonight if I can get it to recover, but I know it wouldn't have been a long clip, 2 minutes at the most.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mason View Post
It was in Dolby sound, not LPCM. I just switched to the Dolby as I can't get the LPCM to work with vegas.
Vegas 8 will not work with LPCM but Vegas Pro 9 will work just fine.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK,

I just home, the clip did recover, it is a 12 second clip, so it really shouldn't have been too much.

I am waiting to see if he by chance hit the power when he stopped the clip, or if it stopped in the middle of capturing. From the looks of the clip, it apears that he might have stopped the clip.

I will let you know when I find out.

Ron, I am using 9.0 b and it won't do anything with the audio, I am working on upgrading to c to see if that will take care of it.

Thanks

Ryan
Old March 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yes I have 9.0C that came with the camera here in Canada. I hadn't bothered upgrading as I didn't think 9 had much change for me!!!! I mainly use Edius but use Vegas for audio and export to DVDArchitect.

Ron Evans
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My understanding is that the NX5U calls for SD cards that are Class 6 or above. Your Class 4 card then isn't up to specs.
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

My manual say class 4, 6 or 10. I have been using Patriot 32G class 10 and the only thing I notice is that the red activity light stays on longer than the light on the FMU when I stop recording. I have had no problems so far.

Ron Evans
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

"My manual say class 4, 6 or 10."

My mistake...you're right Ron. Thanks.
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Even if the manual says "Class 4, 6 or 10". After having once a data error message, I would no longer try to go with something that is at minimum a Class 10 or better.

There is to much risk involved, I am doing a lot of testing with my two cameras at the moment. The minimum setup I have for each cameras is one SDHC Class 10, one Sony HG Pro and the FMU.

I find that it would be very problematic if those overflow problem are happening with Class 10 SDHC card.

I was at B&H last week and got a 30MB/S and the Class 10 Panasonic I've got are 22MB/S. I found that out going to the store. I would have know that before getting the Panasonic one, the order would have been different.

I want to be in a situation where I can trust my cameras. Therefore, in order to help each other to find this problem, I would suggest we all use minimum Class 10 card. What does people think?

Regards!
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I've decided to go with the 16gb Sony Pro Duos. I just think it has to be safer staying with Sony memory in a Sony camera. So far so good.
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Regular Crew

original 'buffer overflow' was with Class 10 card

Daniel

my first 3 'buffer overflow' incidents were with 16GB Class 10 SanDisk Extreme cards.

I think perhaps this problem has nothing to do with card read/write speed.

See my newer post on this issue.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders