DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Custom Picture Profiles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/475193-custom-picture-profiles.html)

Fred Davis March 20th, 2010 04:42 AM

Custom Picture Profiles

Has anyone played around with the Picture Profile and have some custom results they like to post?

Andy Loos June 18th, 2010 09:52 AM

I would also be very interested in learning more about custom picture profiles.
Thanks.

John Vasey June 18th, 2010 11:08 PM

picture profile setting to share...

To my goal of getting a sharp picture and a warmer color palette, here's a profile that seems to work. Try it and see what you think...

I shot several before and after tests and was pleased with a crisper image, warmer and slightly more saturated colors, as well as a more accurate color rendition.

Start with the default Picture Profile 3 and then proceed to customize it. Number 3 is designated as a shoulder camera with ITU-709 gamma.

Here is what you change within profile 3.

In Color Mode change the default from "standard" to "ITU-709."

In Detail, change from default zero to +4.
Change v/h balance from default zero to -1.

I think these results are quite nice and I will continue to explore and refine the other settings as well.

John

Rick Pugsley June 21st, 2010 09:37 PM

NX5 picture profiles

It would be nice if SOny provided a way upload picture profiles, then users could share profiles they like wth others. For what is worth I arrived at detail at +4 also, starting with profile #5, and set color levels at +3 to get a bit more color intensity.

John Meeks June 22nd, 2010 12:10 PM

Isn't it better to shoot clean video, and do things like this (color, sharpness, etc.) in post?

Joe Goldsberry June 22nd, 2010 02:24 PM

It's tough to add sharpness/detail in post.

Joe

John Meeks June 22nd, 2010 02:59 PM

I'm guessing that changing the settings on the camera is just changing the way the images are processed in the camera's software, so shouldn't the post-production software be able to do the same thing? Sharpening is a very common algorithm. Or does the camera discard data that would result in a better image?

Junior Pascual June 23rd, 2010 04:43 PM

John, Rick.

Thanks for the tips!

Marc Myers June 24th, 2010 08:52 AM

In terms of adding sharpness in post, its much easier to do it at the camera. That said, loosing sharpness in post is very, very difficult. I favor a light touch on detail. My rule with tweaking is set it up to look just great, then split the difference between the default and the tweak. I shoot with it for a while and see how much trouble I have made for myself.

Mark A. Foley January 19th, 2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vasey (Post 1540067)
To my goal of getting a sharp picture and a warmer color palette, here's a profile that seems to work. Try it and see what you think...

I shot several before and after tests and was pleased with a crisper image, warmer and slightly more saturated colors, as well as a more accurate color rendition.

Start with the default Picture Profile 3 and then proceed to customize it. Number 3 is designated as a shoulder camera with ITU-709 gamma.

Here is what you change within profile 3.

In Color Mode change the default from "standard" to "ITU-709."

In Detail, change from default zero to +4.
Change v/h balance from default zero to -1.

I think these results are quite nice and I will continue to explore and refine the other settings as well.

John

Any updates to this John?

John Vasey January 23rd, 2011 09:24 PM

update to picture profile...

The picture profile that I suggested and which you quoted in this thread (modifying the default picture profile 3 preset...with ITU-709 gamma) is still the best recipe that I like for overall shooting. To further add to that, here are a few more settings that I have finetuned to further compliment that profile.

Black gamma (middle)...set to -2

Color level...set to +1.

This combination helps give the midtones of the image a bit more punch and not look too pale.

I also use auto knee max point...95

Hope this helps for those that want to further tweak the profile settings...John

Mark A. Foley January 25th, 2011 07:35 AM

I've been playing with different settings via HDMI output to a HD monitor...one thing I've come across that I believe has been discussed here before. To me, the best do far (with a combination of the settings in camera/settings in post have been a one/single tweak to the original PP1 profile...I simply enable cinematone2. With this setting I have been able to raise the gain +3 dB with about the same comparable noise as the other gamma curves..that is easily removed in post. In fact, having moved to the AVCHD codec, I'm surprised how much you can push it in post before it falls apart.

I'm starting to feel that setting the camera as flat as possible (except for the cinematone2) maybe a safer route... more experimiting as I have 3 weeks before the next paid gig :-)