After spending some time with the NX5U, I think it's great! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

After spending some time with the NX5U, I think it's great!

Hey everyone,

I spent about a week working with the NX5U, and I have to say that I think it's a great camera. If you're familiar with pretty much any pro-level, sub-$10,000 camera, you'll enjoy working with this. Especially if you're familiar with Sony cameras like the Z1, V1, and EX1.

What I like most about it are the image controls are a little easier and less extensive than some of the more modern units, including the Canon HDVs, EX1, Panasonics, etc. I know shooters who just want to set the camera and shoot, not fiddle around for a while trying to change the image to their satisfaction.

Image is great, camera ergonomics (button placement, feel, etc.) is great. I love that there are two menu buttons available (no Cancel? Or did I miss it?) on the left and where the playback/LCD are located. I love that it's just an on and off switch, and to access the files to playback is just a simple button.

Pro-style AVCHD is a great format, and though I wish Final Cut Pro would offer native support--3 GB of shooting data turned into about 20 GB of ProRes 422 full HD video--transferring and processing clips was easy. Of course, you can always save your data and delete processed clips once a project is done. And, well, I'd love to see native QuickTime shooting like the JVC HM-100 and HM-700.

Ultimately, this is a great mid-range, sub-$10,000 camera that does well in low light thanks to its three 1/3-inch CMOS chips, though you can't beat the EX1's 1/2-inch CMOS chips. You get a solid, fantastic camera for $4,000.

I didn't get to use the hard drive, but the 32 GB card loaned to me worked just fine. I even ran the camera for about 5 hours during a special concert video I helped shoot. No overheating worries like with other, similar cameras (including the EX1).

I'll post up some video when I can.

Heath
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Heath, I have to agree. I think the images out of the box look like Kodachrome, which I loved using when I used to work as a stills photog.

As soon as the buffer overflow issue gets sorted I'll start singing more complete praise, but until then I still have a couple of reservations -- and the screen info display could use a little tweaking... but these are minor criticisms on a $4k camera!!

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

question about timecode

Hi, Heath...

When you used FCP's Log and Transfer to convert AVCHD into Pro Res, did the Pro Res successfully preserve the camera source timecode? That would be a big item for me because of the nature of my documentary work.

Also, was your audio PCM or was it Dolby when you brought it in via Log and Transfer? As you may be aware, some have noted very long transcode issues or freezing when PCM is imported into some of the NLEs.

Thanks,

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

@Adam: I completely agree with your criticisms, as well.

@John: I used Dolby because of the issue with importing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like timecode ports over in the transition to ProRes 422. I don't rely too much on timecode for my day job, but other projects I'd need them, like films, etc.

Heath
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

if the timecode DOESN'T port over, is that something for Apple to fix?

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I'd hope so! I need to do more research to see if I can import timecode.

Heath
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I sure do no know what is the issue you are having.

I've just verified the clip I imported in FCP via "Log and transfer". The timecode is there and I did not make any adjustment.

Once in FCP I double-click on the clip and the image appeared. In getting the sequence to play the timecode (upper right corner of the clip) is there changing. Is this what you are looking for?
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I looked in the browser and each clip started at 00:00:00 (and that's not my In and Out points, either). I don't know if it's something I did, or what. Could be a problem on my end.

Heath
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Vegas does the same, starting each clip as 0, but Edius reports correct time code over many clips, start and stop just like tape, so that multicam using the timecode sync feature should work fine for sync in multicam mode. Vegas will edit native AVCHD but not at full resolution. I am waiting for Edius 5.5 at NAB so that the native file playback now in Neo will be there. At the moment I convert to Canopus HQ, takes about half realtime an ACT1, 10G file converted into an 86G Canopus fine file, ACT 2 a 5.5G file converted to 62G Canopus file. The total for the show ( two clips one for each ACT) of 1hour and 45 mins transferred to the PC using the Content Management Software, from the FMU128 in 9 mins and converted in about 45 mins. About the same time as the Motion Browser software transfers from my XR500 and SR11 so the FMU is about as fast as the hard drives both likely limited by the USB interface.
Picture is an improvement over the FX1 and is a good match with the XR500 so will mix well together. A little more control to get used to coming from the FX1 but so far I really like it.

Ron Evans

Last edited by Ron Evans; March 24th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks for the information, Ron. Great to know.

I'll double-check my Final Cut Pro system tomorrow and see what's up.

Heath
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Now I know what people means, yes, unfortunately, the timecode start at 0 for eall of the clip. Then there are four possible workaround I could see working. However, each of them would need to be tested to get a better idea of the pro and cons.

1 - Copy and paste all the clip one after the other in a sequence. Select all of those clip in that sequence and nest them. The result will have a timecode which will start at 0 and will keep incrementing to the end without making a difference as where each clip composing the nested one start and stop.

2 - Copy and paste all the clip one after the other in a sequence and uses this sequence to perform video editing.

3 - Copy and paste all the clip one after the other in a sequence. Save that sequence as one clip in creating a .mov file. Use that new mov files to perform video editing.

4 - Reassign manually a timecode at the beginning and end of each clip once there logged and transferred in Final Cut Studio. I've seen it done in previous version of Final Cut Pro. This could be cumbersome when you have many small clips.

5 - For project with multi camera you may want to use PluralEyes. You put all of your clips on a sequence in separate tracks, and within a minute it will reposition all the clips on the timeline and they are all synchronized. PluralEyes uses the audio content of your clips for synchronization to occur. Timecode and manually setting of in/out points is now with the past. If you want to know more go to this web site http://www.singularsoftware.com/downloads.html , download the beta version and look at the video. Quite impressive.

In order to save time, I would probably go with option 5 or a combination of option 3 and 5 if there is a lot of small clips to synchronized. Option 3 might be longer at the beginning but once it's done, it's done. The user should be able to perform the video editing as he would normally do. Video effect should be done and executed more easily and rendering should be more efficient. I do not think the quality of this new original sequence would be less quality than the original ones. It make take a bit of time to save this new sequence in a hard drive but once it's done, it's done.

All of those options need to be tested, this is just a first thought.

Last edited by Daniel Paquin; March 24th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Daniel Paquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #12
New Boot

Time code issues & FCP

I own three NX5U's. it would be great to have the timecode issue fixed, Im sure it will when Apple updates the software. Until then I will be syncing the way I have been in the past, by sight and sound.

Steve Fox
Steve Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well, I did my first week-end of shooting and I am very please to say everything went very well.

With one of my NX5U I shot on the FMU HD 720/60p FX and the SDHC card (Panasonic) SD 480/60i FX for close than 10 hrs.

The other one, same thing with a little less filming hours (seven) of shooting.

On both camera, I've shot a lot of 3 to 5 minutes clips and today it was two sequence of 100 minutes. No need to say I was nervous and hoping nothing will append while recording.

So far the image looks very good, I will do a log and transfer this week. I will know better then.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

Sounds great, Daniel! I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Heath
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #15
Trustee

No timecode from the original clips? That means redundant backup of space-eating transcoded media. One of the attractions of this format was the small file size.

So much for this camera....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders