If you are experiencing the buffering problem, read/post here only - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #31
Tourist

Sony NXCAM Buffer Overflow

Hello from the UK - Purchased my Sony NXCAM last month (the first one sold by my supplier) and on first test, recording HD 1080/50i FX LCPM to both FMU and memory Stick Pro Duo 8GB I got 'buffer overflow' and the camera froze as described by others on this forum. My supplier has sold fifteen other NXCAMs and had no other reported problems but I am the only one to have purchased the FMU.
So far no word from Sony.
I need to decide whether to get a full refund or just return the FMU - I am puzzled as why everyone appears happy to keep the camera despite the obvious problem?
Paul Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #32
New Boot

I am happy with my NX5U. I have never had any problem recording to both the FMU and chips. Be sure to use mark 2 Pro Duo chips. By the way, I always record HD 1080i to both the chips and FMU and use ONLY FH mode. I never use the FX mode. I am asking anyone who has experienced buffer overflow problems to change to FH mode to see if this solves their problem. I have some equipment that will not accept FX recorded clips so I don't use it and may be the reason why I have not experienced any overflow problems. I have recorded several events and have done a lot of testing as many on the forum have done.
Curtis Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fairhurst View Post
Hello from the UK - Purchased my Sony NXCAM last month (the first one sold by my supplier) and on first test, recording HD 1080/50i FX LCPM to both FMU and memory Stick Pro Duo 8GB I got 'buffer overflow' and the camera froze as described by others on this forum. My supplier has sold fifteen other NXCAMs and had no other reported problems but I am the only one to have purchased the FMU.
So far no word from Sony.
I need to decide whether to get a full refund or just return the FMU - I am puzzled as why everyone appears happy to keep the camera despite the obvious problem?
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have the option of returning my cams. I bought them from B&H and they give you a 14 day period to return the cams for a refund. My problems began after that period was over. I have to admit, because Sony apparently doesn't have an understanding or solution of the Buffer problem, I would return my cams for a refund if I could.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Anderson View Post
I am happy with my NX5U. I have never had any problem recording to both the FMU and chips. Be sure to use mark 2 Pro Duo chips. By the way, I always record HD 1080i to both the chips and FMU and use ONLY FH mode. I never use the FX mode. I am asking anyone who has experienced buffer overflow problems to change to FH mode to see if this solves their problem. I have some equipment that will not accept FX recorded clips so I don't use it and may be the reason why I have not experienced any overflow problems. I have recorded several events and have done a lot of testing as many on the forum have done.
The error is entirely random and the only (current) common trait is to record in tandem between both the card (SDHC or MemoryStick) and the FMU128 unit, in the max quality setting on both. No reports of this error have been experienced with any other setting and while the "workarounds" are available in the sense of using only one option to record to or just a different format altogether, it ultimately defeats the purpose of using the camera for what it's intended in the first place.

I have a call to them for Monday morning and will report accordingly.

Last edited by Marshall Levy; April 18th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I think Curtis was saying that he records at 17mbps rather than 24mbps and hasn't had a problem and has anyone else at this data rate. Both are 1920x1080.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Collier View Post
SDHC (HD) AND FMU (HD)
1080/60i FX
LPCM
Sandisk 16GB Class6

Happened about 10 seconds into recording. It went into recovery mode. After 10 minutes I turned it off. It remained in recovery mode. I pressed the reset. The camera offered to recover the clip. I said "yes". It did not recover the clip.

I formatted both cards just before this occurred. I probably don't have more than 10 hours on the camcorder, cards or FMU.

Unless Sony has a fix in the next few days, both NX5Us are going back. This is unacceptable.
I am with Bob this camera will be returned for the EX1R I do not have the time or patience to wait for Sony, I had this issue since Feb the first week of owning this camera. The funny part was how Sony tried to act like this was an isolated incident as if it was my problem...
Fred Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The EX1R does not have redundant media recording like the NX5U that is giving you the problem. IF you are only going to record to one media then the NX5U will work just fine and the FMU will give a long record time as well. It would be interesting to find out if anyone had the problem recording to either card or FMU and the HD/SDI output to a Nanoflash etc. Is the problem just the FMU /card combination at the highest data rate. Curtis seems to infer that he has not had problems at the the FH ( 17 Mbps ) mode.
I have shot about 8 hours of combined 32G Patriot class 10 and the FMU at the FX data rate with no problems.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #38
Regular Crew

just to chime in

so far have shot about 12 hours with my nx5 and i've never had a buffer overflow error. i shoot exclusively in 1080p24 using FX mode and record to class 4 SDHC chips and the FMU simultaneously.

are most guys shooting in 1080i when having the issues? just another variable for the mix,,,

k
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I had a call from Sony today about the buffer overflow issue and he told me that the product manager told him they "are in the middle of working the problem and may have a solution soon".

I guess that's encouraging, but we'll see.
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM   #40
Major Player

Yes, they are aware of this issue and are currently working with Japan on fixing this asap. I can't state too much via online, but I'll know a lot more mid/late next week. If you have any questions/comments, either post here or PM/call me directly.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Talked to Sony today. I was told they have found the problem with the buffer overload and a fix would be in the pipelinein in a few weeks. What I find unacceptable Sony wants me to send my camera in for evaluation for my focus issues for a unknown amount of time on a camera they never worled on or even have parts. Is there someti\hing wrong with this picture? I work 7 days a week and need my equipment. Thanks Sony.

John
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Just wanted to let everyone know, I just got a call from Sony, they have a software upgrade for the camera to fix the problem. The bad thing is, it isn't a user upgradable patch, so it needs to be sent into the sony repair center. Hopefully this gets everything squared away.

Ryan
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #43
New Boot

That is pretty good news that Sony has a solution for us. Any word on how all the upgrades will be done for NX5 owners? Will Sony be in contact with us or send us any notification? Or will each of us need to contact Sony directly and arrange this upgrade?
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #44
Major Player

I'm going to start a new thread...but in the meantime, the cameras need to have an updated firmware....

Read the newer thread....
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders