Got my NX5 a few weeks ago at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Got my NX5 a few weeks ago

I received my NX5U cam about 3 weeks ago from B&H and it is great so far. This is my very first Prosumer Camcorder. I wanted to ask about the Gain. I noticed there is alot of Noise when indoors and I set the Gan to -6db and it looks better but still noise. I have done alot of testing but seem to get noise still. I wanted to see what you guys think what is the best to reduce the noise. Its not a big deal but I thought I'd ask. Thanks
Eddie Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You should have very little noise all the way up to 12db at least compared to consumer cameras. Are you sure you actually have the gain in manual? Setting things in manual is not completely straightforward on Sony's. The auto manual switch just means manual is possible when it is in manual!!! Until each function is actually placed in manual its still in auto. If you have the full display on the LCD you will see in the bottom Iris, Gain and shutter with either an A by the side or nothing. IF there is an A next to the item its still in auto. When the gain is in manual you have 3 choices set by the switches L,M,H with the values for these set in the menu. You can for instance set shutter at 60, gain manual at 6db and let the iris be in auto. Or you can set the max gain in the menu to say 12db set the gain in auto ( it will now be limited to 12db) and fix the iris at F4 to control the depth of field, or stop the lens ramping causing a problem. You can see the values change even in auto which I think is a great feature.

I don't particularly think the camera is noisy at all below about 12db compared to the FX1.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
New Boot

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask. I will be playing with it tonight and see.

Okay, so I played around with it and from what I can tell from my testing keeping Manual Gain at 6db, iris at 4 auto or manual and shutter at 48 to 60 looks perfect. There is some very minor little noise but watching it on a 67" Samsung DLP I couldn't see it at all. So I think you solved my problem. Thanks. Like I said I'm new at the prosumer cams but always wanted to jump into the band wagon. Thanks a bunch

Last edited by Eddie Hofer; March 26th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Eddie Hofer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders