FCP Log and Transfer for now will not pass through NX5U timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Log and Transfer for now will not pass through NX5U timecode

I discovered why the NX5U source timecode is not getting passed through when transcoding via FCP's Log and Transfer. Apparently a Sony tech named Seth in New Jersey has replicated the failure of timecode t pass through on FCP, Vegas Pro, and the Utility software that comes with the camera. He apparently is trying to get the Sony Product group to focus on it.

Another Sony rep, Ian Cook, is reported to be saying that this issue will be fixed in a future FCP update or Pro App Support update, but no time frame is given.

This is a big issue for me...because preserving camera timecode is important for documentary interview transcriptions, reconforming if you lose the transcoded media on your external drive, etc.

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Time code is preserved by the Sony Content Management Utility on the PC ( I don't think there is a MAC version). Edius reads the code just fine. Vegas ( a Sony product) can't read it. Same clips placed in Edius and Vegas. Maybe we will get a Vegas update though I do my video editing on Edius and with 5.5 early next month will be realtime full resolution like Neo Booster 2.5. Vegas and Edius will play LPCM audio which I think FCP also has a problem with. So I think the update needs to come from FCP.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello John,

I know it might not be the best, however, you may want to look at the possible workaround, I've listed on this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...its-great.html . Option #3 might be the one you want take into consideration.
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sony and Apple working on a fix

to this failure-to-transfer-timecode problem, or so Ian Cook from Sony just told me in an email. He would not give a timeframe.

By the way, have any of you noticed weird behaviour of the scrubber arrow on the timeline of the footage preview window inside FCP 7.01's Log and Transfer window? I find that if I click on different points in the timeline the scrubber arrow often does not keep up, getting stuck or bouncing around erratically -- although the footage plays from the point on the timeline that I click on.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Adam,

I do not see a scrubber arrow on the preview window within log and transfer. I only see a play arrow. I am using FCP 7.0.1.
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ian Cook reply

Thanks, Adam, for reporting your email conversation with Ian Cook of Sony. If the timecode (and hopefully the PCM audio fix) is be forthcoming from Apple, my estimate is that would be 3-6 months from now...given the past pattern of sporadic updates with Final Cut Pro.

Timecode preservation plus the better audio that PCM affords are two things I would value with this camera. I will be attending NAB on April 12th and will talk to the Sony reps there to try and find out more.

Thanks again for sharing the information you got from Ian. And if you hear anything more on this from your end, please share it as many FCP users on this forum will benefit from any news....John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Tourist

Does anyone know if it's possible to get around this timecode issue with FCP by using clipwrap to transcode the files instead of going through FCPs Log and Transfer?
If anyone has tried clipwrap with the native AVCHD files, does Clipwrap retain the correct timecode from the original files?
Michael Maller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #8
divergent media

Michael,

I just wanted to post here to say yes, with the newest ClipWrap 2.2, timecode form the NX5u is retained.

mike
Mike Woodworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders