Impressions Of NX5U After Two Weeks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Impressions Of NX5U After Two Weeks

I use the NX5U as a Stringer gathering local news events mostly (95%) at night. The NX5U replaces a DVX100B (now a back up rig) so this is what my impressions are based on.

The way I use this camera is generally in low light field night time ENG.

Pros

Great Low Light

Manual Controls

Simultaneous Dual Format Recording (w/external H/D)

External Stock Mic

LCD Touch Screen

Expanded Focus

SDI-Out

Cons

Low Light Auto Focus

AVCHD With FCP (short term problem)

Wish List

Being able to xfer files both ways between media types

Ability to stamp (place bug) on video files
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Dear John,

What do you think about the autofocus speed and accuracy of NX5 at normal light ?
Tans Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here I am sitting in a parking lot at 0430 hrs waiting for something tragic to happen (by the way it did, one more ATM theft). Almost all of my shooting is at night. Here is a post I did on you tube that if it weren't for the eye candy this would have never made it to edit. I was using the LCD while shooting and it looked sharp as can be but finished product was not.

YouTube - 040310 EURO Bash

The jury is still out on a final decision regarding the NX5U auto focus. One thing I will tell you is that I am glad that the expanded focus button is next to my index finger.

Regards,

John
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

I just don't like the Auto Focus option on any camera, and the button to get a quick focus isn't very quick on the NX5U (or most cameras I've used). Interesting footage.

Heath
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

John,

Thank you for the answer.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I just don't like the Auto Focus option on any camera, and the button to get a quick focus isn't very quick on the NX5U (or most cameras I've used). Interesting footage.

Heath
I warned you it wasn't very good. I think that was the second time I hit the record button in the field. The whole point of showing that video was the fact that is was very soft while the view finder/LCD did not show just how soft it was. I am embarrassed by the quality. Very well could have been operator error. I was focused on those two asian girls to bad the camera wasn't.

John
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

John,

It's tough to get focus in dark situations no matter what camera, though I'm sure the EX1 is slightly easier with its 1/2" sensors.

Heath
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

How is its low light performance compered to DVX100? Have you tried them side by side with open iris and zero gain?
Thanks.
Stas Bobkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Stas,

I haven't, but back in late 2004, my friend/colleague Jon Fordham and I did a side-by-side with the DVX100a and the FX1, and if I'm not mistaken, the FX1 was wide open (0 dB gain) and the DVX100a was at around F 3.4 or something. Here's that review:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...x1-review.html

This is because there are over a million small pixels on three 1/3" CCDs, whereas the DVX100a featured just a few hundred thousand larger pixels on three 1/3" CCDs, giving it an advantage as far as light is concerned.

heath
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Heath,
that sounds about right to me (a couple of F-stops difference DVX100 vs FX1).

I've always been sceptical about HD cameras low light performance, so I'm wondering if anyone did a real test of the two using DVX100 as some sort of a reference, just to give me an idea of what it is, preferably in F-stops.
Looking for an upgrade for a DVX100 too.
Stas Bobkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

John:

One last question before we say that the autofocus is bad. May I ask you to look at these 2 videos, please ? They are not my videos. I would like to know that based on your experience with nx5, do you think that nx5 can make such videos with autofocus ?

YouTube - Josh Berry @ motormile debut in final practice

YouTube - BMW E21.net meeting 1

Thank you.
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas Bobkov View Post
How is its low light performance compered to DVX100? Have you tried them side by side with open iris and zero gain?
Thanks.
I can tell you without a comparison. I shot a fatal motorcycle accident two nights ago under mercury vapor lights. IMO the worst of all video light. The performence of the NX5U is by far supeior over the DVX100B. With the panny I have to run 200 watts of on board (2 100w Frezzi mini fills) lighting. In a comparison what is important to me is not a side by side same settings but what the setting are to make usable footage and how good is it. I can tell you hands down the Sony is better. Remember I sometimes have to shoot not just in low light but almost no light.

If it's not to busy tonight I will do some comparisons using same setting and usable footage settings. I have to make a disclaimer that I know the panny like the back of my hand in low light while I'm still learning the ability of the Sony.

You can see some footage on my You Tube page. YouTube - SanDiegoMedia's Channel
I think I've only posted two vids so far using the sony.

John

John
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tans Mark View Post
John:

One last question before we say that the autofocus is bad. May I ask you to look at these 2 videos, please ? They are not my videos. I would like to know that based on your experience with nx5, do you think that nx5 can make such videos with autofocus ?

YouTube - Josh Berry @ motormile debut in final practice

YouTube - BMW E21.net meeting 1

Thank you.
Without a dought. My shooting is different then most because sometimes the question is action shot lower quality or good quality but no action. At times I have no set up or adjustment time when I arrive at a scene.
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
John,

It's tough to get focus in dark situations no matter what camera, though I'm sure the EX1 is slightly easier with its 1/2" sensors.

Heath
Heath, The panny did a good job. It seemed not to lock into a almost in focus mode where the Sony does. I have been proceeding with great caution until I get up to speed on the Sony. Besides that it's a 4 grand camera. can you really expect to shoot Ben Hur at night?

Thanks,

John
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

John,

Which Panasonic?

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders