notes on MEDIA EMPTY and MEDIA FORMAT operations with NXCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

notes on MEDIA EMPTY and MEDIA FORMAT operations with NXCAM

Hi All

I've been extremely busy lately shooting my latest project, but found some time this evening to post on my NXCAM blog on this topic.

MEDIA FORMAT and MEDIA EMPTY operations with the HXR-NX5 Adam Welz's NXCAM Blog

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Memory stick HG transfer rates are much faster than the fastest SCHD cards. I am sure I saw somewhere they were twice as fast as a class 10SDHC card so I can see why the format and Media empty operation will be faster. The main reason for the media empty is to make sure that no one else can see what was recorded on a card if it is given to someone else. Just like cleaning a hard drive. Data recovery software can sometimes repair a FAT table and recover most of the data that was erased/formated but not if it has been overwritten with real data again.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ron, the MEDIA EMPTY was SO much faster on a MemoryStick than on SDHC it was not clear what was really going on -- it took only about twice as long as a MEDIA FORMAT operation, whereas on SDHC a MEDIA EMPTY takes, well, like hundreds of times longer than a MEDIA FORMAT operation...

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders