DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Blurred footage when panning? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/476883-blurred-footage-when-panning.html)

Dave Allen April 15th, 2010 01:42 PM

Blurred footage when panning?

With 1080i footage shot with an HDV cam, the footage instantly goes to hell in a handbasket during pans, even slow ones, or when objects move.

For those with the NX5, how is the footage when panning?

Daniel Broadway April 15th, 2010 03:04 PM

If you do a fast whip pan, you will get motion artifacts, since it's still a Long-GOP recording format. However, they will not be anywhere near as bad as HDV would be with a similar pan.

If you use standard camera practices, I don't think you will notice any artifacting.

Daniel Paquin April 15th, 2010 03:06 PM

The issues you are having when panning with an HDV camera do no exist on a NX5U when panning.

This is one of the main reason I've bought this camera. I shoot short programs with subject which are moving fast and require both panning and zooming.

I knew about this issue with HDV cameras, before getting a NX5U I went to the store and had the chance to make my own test.

I've been using this camera quite intensively and I am very happy with it.

Dave Allen April 15th, 2010 08:55 PM

I always use slow tripod pans, but HDV still ruins it into a blurry, unprofessional mess, and that is with image stabilization turned off.

Curtis Anderson April 16th, 2010 08:39 AM

Blurred footage when panning

Page74 in the OM.
STEADYSHOT TYPE
You can select a type of camera-shake
reduction for different recording situations.
HARD
Reduces camera shake considerably.
This setting is not suitable for recording
when you are using techniques like
panning or tilting.
STANDARD
Standard camera-shake reduction.
SOFT
Reduces camera shakes moderately. Slight
unsteadiness remains in movies, which
make the movies look as they are.

If STEADYSHOT is off, panning is terrible. I use STANDARD.

Nick Popa April 17th, 2010 06:45 AM

Dave, I'd like to know if Curtis's information was the solution to your problem

Adam Welz April 17th, 2010 07:15 AM

what shutter speed are you shooting at?

Adam

Curtis Anderson April 21st, 2010 04:42 PM

In the days of SD and small screens, panning was no big deal. With HD and large 16x9 screens, panning sucks. I have put up a sample of panning clips and how the PROs work around panning. In short, avoid panning.

LINK: page

Eugene Damianov April 22nd, 2010 08:33 AM

How is it when you use 1080p? I guess it should be better..

And what about 720/60p mode?

Ron Evans April 22nd, 2010 04:33 PM

I have Steadyshot off when on a tripod and have no problem with slow pans. Panning will introduce judder with 30P or 24P because the capture frame rate is too slow. At 60i the temporal rate is 60 frames a second and will produce the same temporal motion as 720P60. Still frames will be better from 720P60 since there is full frame of information rather than a field. Pans will always create some blur since there will be camera motion while "shutter " is open. Faster shutter will reduce blur but potentially introduce judder. I believe some of the judder seen on pans in network TV are just bad camera work or director switching. Using a slow frame rate 30P or 24P and using the camera as if it was a 60i camera. There is always motion blur but with HD it is more evident and really would benefit from faster frame rates. The film technique works well to keep camera motion limited and let action take place in the frame.

Ron Evans

Colin Rowe April 24th, 2010 06:37 AM

If you are using auto focus!! try turning the sharpness right down, or even off. It will help