NX5U vs DVX100B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 16th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U vs DVX100B

Been a while since my last comparison. Here's one that is a bit more fair. Both cameras were on manual except for focus. I did not record the settings. Some of the clips were setup the same except for the zoom just to match the f stops. I also shot a few scenes set up for best possible video. You should be able to see the difference. Both cameras were shooting SD.

YouTube - NX5U & DVX Side By Side Comparison

My opinion have changed somewhat regarding both cameras. Basicly the DVX is a better camera and the short comings are far fewer then I believed in the past.

The NX5U I believe has some inherent problems. The one that effects me the most is the auto focus. It reacts very slow. I also believe that there is a back focus issue. For it to work for me I have to zoom in and out to achieve proper focus. Keep in mind 95% of my shooting is at night at ever changing scenes (crime, fire and police) and I have little time to change setting and still get the money shot. With the DVX I chose to use auto focus because it was spot on. This is not the case with the NX5U. The big advantage I found with the NX5U is the slow shutter speed under low to almost no available ambient light. If the subject is static I can grab footage that would have never been possible with the DVX.

I am using the Sony exclusively now. Getting much more comfortable with it's capabilities and limitations.
I am still waiting on my external HD so I can start shooting HD also.

John
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey it's a nice comparison video, and helpful to encourage a jump form the dvx100b to the nx5u.. but what made you compare these two cameras? In my opinion it's like apples to oranges, you can't compare sd and hd. All and all thanks for the video

-Nick
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Tourist

if it is all going to dvd then the comparison is NOT apple and oranges.
Christopher Baranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Baranski View Post
if it is all going to dvd then the comparison is NOT apple and oranges.

Touche christopher, touche
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Major Player

What I would like to know is how the pani 150 and NX5 match up. I have the NX5 and would like a ccd camera for reception work. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the rolling shutter every time a flash went off. Also are they similar codecs?

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Popa View Post
Hey it's a nice comparison video, and helpful to encourage a jump form the dvx100b to the nx5u.. but what made you compare these two cameras? In my opinion it's like apples to oranges, you can't compare sd and hd. All and all thanks for the video

-Nick
Nick, At times I think it's more like comparing a lemon and a orange. Both cameras were shot in SD. The DVX is my old camera and the NX5U new. Without the external HD, SD is more compatible across my customer base.

John
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry John, my bad, I missed the part about both in SD. Didn't mean to rip on your video, good job
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nick, No offene taken. Believe me, I've heard worst. Thanks for your input and kind words. Low light shooting is my thing.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
What I would like to know is how the pani 150 and NX5 match up. I have the NX5 and would like a ccd camera for reception work. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the rolling shutter every time a flash went off. Also are they similar codecs?

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
They are both using the same AVCHD codec.
The HMC150 is an excellent cam, I use two of them in my work. I highly recommend it.

But really if I were you I'd not be wanting to mix and match. Unless only the HMC would be used at reception work. Then yeah, get the HMC. If not then it would likely be best to get two cams the same, as you would not need to be investing in different media, batteries, etc. As well as not having to worry about mastering two different cams. Switching back and forth during a shoot could slow you down.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

re: autofocus being slow...

the nx5 comes with macro mode enabled by default. i've found the autofocus to be a nightmare when macro is on - after i turned it off the autofocus is actually pretty damn snappy. i was a dvx100b user for nearly 6 years prior to picking up an nx cam. autofocus seems pretty good with this new cam.

karl
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I turned the macro off and I can see no major improvements
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders