Training with the NX5u? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Training with the NX5u?

Hi, I'm soon to buy the nx5u for the purposes of short films, documentary shorts, weddings, etc... I just was wondering where I can find/get training for the camera. I have the GL2 currently and know hot to get a nice picture from that (with good lighting of course), but I just feel overwhelmed by the hundreds of buttons and settings on the nx5u. I am someone who really likes to know what they're doing with their equipment, especially when its a 4000 dollar piece of equipment. So does anyone know of any really good training DVD's or books that will help me learn the vast range of settings of the nx5u? I understand that there's nothing specifically out currently for this camera, but maybe a more general book that can give in-depth explanations of everything from nd settings to audio settings and controls.

I know this makes me sound like a noob, but I guess I am considered one compared to the video veterans on this site who know everything (and I really respect those people). I'm 20 years old and a film student. I've been saving for a new camera for a year now so please don't try to dissuade me from getting one. AND just because I'm 20 don't look down upon my film making abilities because I have been using cameras since i was about 7 years old and its not a hobby to me but an extreme passion.

even as simple as a book recomendation would do...

Last edited by Nick Popa; April 17th, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nick

the cam is really not that complicated. The Sony manual is a little thin but with a careful read you'll glean a lot. I guess any general book on video tech will be useful, otherwise just trawl these forums and shoot a lot...

Good luck

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Anyone else have any suggestions??
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Honestly reading the manual is all you can really do. I'm 15 years old, and I'm considering buying an NX5 this summer. I've used an FX1000 and a Z5 briefly before, and they're very easy to learn. You learn how to use it from experience. Using all the settings and buttons and seeing what they do yourself is the best way to learn. The manual helps you understand all the features of the camera and how to access them (although you'll easily figure that out yourself with 5 minutes of playing with it). What you can't figure out form using the NX5, you can easily find a response to on the internet.

I don't understand why you're trying so hard to convince us that your decision to purchase the NX5 is justified. It doesn't matter what others think. Get it if you think it's a good idea to do so.
Felix van Oost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix van Oost View Post
I don't understand why you're trying so hard to convince us that your decision to purchase the NX5 is justified. It doesn't matter what others think. Get it if you think it's a good idea to do so.
Well I know some people may read it and be wonder why/how someone who is 20 years old can afford a 4000 camera. And I just want to make it very clear to them that I'm not some spoiled kid who gets everything handed to him, I am working my butt off saving up for this thing. I don't by any means think a lot of people are like that, I just want to reach out to the very few that are.

Now, you being 15 just makes me very curious (in a non-condescending way!) what you do or would do with the nx5u. I know there are a billion uses for it obviously, I just am wondering if you are doing it to make money? short films? etc...
and the only reason I ask is because if it is to make money, people can often be very weary and turned off of younger people because they may automatically assume no experience.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I film a lot of action sports (mainly mountain biking) and have plans for a full-length movie next year with possible sequels after that. I set up a small filming 'company' called OverDrive Media Group a year ago as a name to go by for my projects, and I also do a bit of corporate work for local bike shops and other businesses in the area.

At the moment I've got an HDR-SR12, but it's quite limiting in many aspects hence why I'm looking at the NX5. For example I can't do any night shooting with the SR12 (noise) and there are very few manual settings (so I can't get the pictures to look exactly the way I want them to look), among other things. Also the SR12 only does 60i and I work in progressive, so motion isn't captured very well (and downhill mountain biking is a very fast sport). I'm doing it for the fun of it at the moment, but I'm making a little money out of it too which is good. I'm building it up slowly though...
Felix van Oost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You guys were right, It is easy to get the hang of very very quickly just by practicing and keeping the manual with in an arms reach. Thanks a lot!
Nick Popa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders