DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Focus problems with NX5/AX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/477199-focus-problems-nx5-ax2000.html)

Chad Whelan April 19th, 2010 08:35 PM

Focus problems with NX5/AX2000

Has anyone experienced focus issues with either camera? I had 3 events this past weekend so really got to test my camera in the field. I had quite a few issues with images falling out of focus in manuel when zooming out. It was not just a once or twice issue, happened so much to the point that I threw the camera in auto focus mode, which floated quite a bit, so really no improvement there either. I have not contacted Sony yet but plan to this week.

Cristian Adrian Olariu April 19th, 2010 11:39 PM

Did you do a back focus test? In manual mode the focus should remain in the same spot when you zoom in or out, it seems you have a faulty camera.

John Mulvihill April 20th, 2010 12:37 AM

I find the focus slow to respond (macro on or off) and when I use either the EVF or LCD the picture looks sharp but after it's ingested appears soft. I too will be calling Sony tomorrow.

Chad Whelan April 20th, 2010 12:10 PM

The unit is being replaced. I will have a new camera here by Friday. I will update for those who are curious.

Ron Evans April 20th, 2010 04:18 PM

The auto focus is the poorest of all my Sony cameras ( FX1, SR11, XR500 as well as a lot of DV cameras like HC96 etc) The auto focusing is slow and incorrect most of the time. My main use is in manual and use the expanded focus assist and peaking which works well, If I use the one shot auto focus it will say 10feet as an example, manually I get it as 8.5 feet, switching back to one shot auto it now agrees !!!! Very strange and not very useful. I do not have a backfocus issue when focused correctly but the bad focus could be misconstrued as backfocus if one relies on the auto focus to set either end of the zoom range. I rely on the one shot spot focus on the SR11 and XR500 which is always very good, one shot on the FX1 was also good but the NX5U is not trustworthy.

Ron Evans

Daniel Paquin April 20th, 2010 07:26 PM

Hello Ron,

Really bizarre, I sure do not have the problem you are having with autofocus. Most of the time it stay in focus. The only I found it did not work is when the subject I was filming were dressed in a black suit.

Do not know why, if my subject is not dress in black the camera does an excellent job.

Ron Evans April 20th, 2010 07:53 PM

Most of my stuff is in the theatre where sets are dark or high contrast. I have got used to focusing and setting up the depth of field to cover most of the stage,so it is not a real issue for me. However the first time I used the NX5U I did what I would have done with the FX1, zoom in to a chair on stage that was in the light and press the momentary focus. It showed 199feet!! I new this point should be more like 35 feet. I though it must be saying 19.9 feet but it wasn't. I switched on the extended focus and things were definitely out of focus. I focused and then pressed the one shot focus again. It left it where it was at 32 feet !!! I have repeated this many times at home in various lighting conditions. It gets close, likely within the depth of field, but not as good as manual focus and not as good as the FX1. The difference is clear in the recorded image when compared to the XR500 which is clearer on auto focus or manual spot focus. I think the range where it thinks its in focus is too broad accounting for the fact that once it is manually focused an auto focus leaves it where it is as the manual distance will be within the auto focus capture range. With good light this isn't a problem because the depth of field will be large but in low light it will be out of focus as I have found and it may be what John is experiencing too.

Ron Evans

Chad Whelan April 25th, 2010 09:16 PM

Brand new camera, problem fixed! It is like night and day with the focus. Manual operated as it should. I also ran auto for quite a while to test and it was very solid compared to the other camera. I normally buy all my gear from B&H, however I bought this camera through Amazon because it was a better deal at the time. Sony gave me a complete run around and wanted me to send the camera in for repair which could take a couple weeks. They refused to replace it even though I had just bought it. I contacted Amazon and within moments was told they could refund my purchase or would overnight me a new camera on them, which they did. I am a big fan of customer service so wanted to mention this. I have a feeling there are more than a few faulty cameras out there.

Yoshi Daikoku April 29th, 2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Whelan (Post 1519374)
Brand new camera, problem fixed! It is like night and day with the focus. Manual operated as it should. I also ran auto for quite a while to test and it was very solid compared to the other camera. I normally buy all my gear from B&H, however I bought this camera through Amazon because it was a better deal at the time. Sony gave me a complete run around and wanted me to send the camera in for repair which could take a couple weeks. They refused to replace it even though I had just bought it. I contacted Amazon and within moments was told they could refund my purchase or would overnight me a new camera on them, which they did. I am a big fan of customer service so wanted to mention this. I have a feeling there are more than a few faulty cameras out there.

Sony give a new cam to you?

Chad Whelan April 29th, 2010 07:18 AM

did you read my entire post? Amazon replaced my camera, Sony refused to.