NX5/AX2K with Steadicam Merlin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
New Boot

NX5/AX2K with Steadicam Merlin

Has anybody tried this combination? Because i read that 2 kg is approx. the limit of Merlin.. and we know that NX5 'naked' is 2.1 kg.

I'm asking because this is the stabilization i intend/can afford to buy with the NX5.

Greets!
Eugene Damianov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey, I had a very similar question so I'll post here too...

In addition to Eugene's question, does anyone know how the nx5u will hold up on either a glidecam 2000 pro or 4000 pro? The camera is right on the line and I really want to be able to get away with the 2000 pro, but don't want to end up with a $250 paper weight if it doesn't work with the camera.

Last edited by Nick Popa; April 21st, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The nx5 works like a charm on the merlin.

Heres a wedding i shot with it. Could have used the merlin a bit better but the wind was bad enough, thats my excuse ;)

Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
New Boot

Nice video. Can you post your setup that you used with the Merlin? Weights, position, etc...

Thanks
Stephen Pinchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Very nice, it kept me watching till the end even though I hate weddings. On to the mechanics. I have a GlideCam 2000 I used with consumer sized mini DV cameras. Worked great except changing setting mid shot. IMO, can't be done, at least alone. When I threw a DVX100B on it I soon realized I needed to start lifting weights, it is heavy. So I put it on the optional belt pack but soon you realize those limits. So I have yet to do this but I also have a Vari-Zoom controller I want to install on the GlideCam so at least I might have a chance to make some on the fly adjustments without having to use auto settings for those ever changing conditions. I have yet to try it with the NXCam but truely believe the camera is just to heavy for the GlideCam 2000.I could go on for ever so now the questions.

Naill, It looks as though you did not use auto setting except focus, right? How do you handle the weight while using the Merlin? About how long can you operate (shoot) continuously before fatigue sets in?

Once again that video was very good.

John
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi. Cheers for the comments on the clip. It was the first time using the camera, shame about the formats but that's another story!

OK the setting I'm used on it. One finish weight in the center and all the remaining weights at the bottom. the whole lot! The arm is opened the full length. I don't have the Merlin next to me here but I'm quite sure its mounted on the m hole. Its the center one.. The thing i find when balancing the Merlin is making sure the cam is tightly against the screw that the lens sits on. once again i cant remember the name of it. On the nx5 i had the screw sitting between the focus ring and the zoom ring.

John I normally shoot all manual but except when I'm on the Merlin i set the focus to auto.
Fatigue? well i use the Merlin all day apart from the church and the speeches. Its much more then just a Steadicam its great for handheld shooting. if you hold the it against your body its great for pan, still shots etc. Great for getting the cam up high too. i would hold the gimbel and the bottom weights up high to get different perspectives on shots. The clip i posted i would say 95% of the shots i had the camera on the merlin.

Im did two weddings in a row this weekend and my right arm is feeling it a bit but your muscles get use to it. At the start i was tired. U feel it in your legs. Im not sure how long i would shoot continuously. probably bout 10 minutes now. one side effect of the Merlin is that my right arm looks bigger then my left :)

Hopes this helps, its a great bit of kit
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the input Niall !

Very nice video! But how do you zoom when your camera is on the Merlin? Wire remote control would disbalance the rig.. Is it possible to use the camera's rockers?
Eugene Damianov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Sorry to throw this into the Merlin discussion BUT, I played around with my HMC-150 which weighs just over 2 kilos with the big battery on my CMR Blackbird. It works beautifully but my arm was about to fall off after 10 minutes! I'm gonna stick to flying my T2i until I can get a vest! (the Merlin arm & vest fit the Blackbird too!)
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #9
New Boot

Hi Niall,

Would you be so kind as to tell us the other few settings, including the stage mark and z? Really excited when I got it, but can't get the correct settings.

Thanks heaps in advance!

Cheers
Ben
Ben Gourlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Great video btw. I am also considering the Merlin for my NX5U as well. I wish the Merlin is a bit cheaper.
Allan Phan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders