HD to SD conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 28th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD to SD conversion

If I'm right, you can copy material from A card to B card. ¿Speed? How time takes to copy 16 GB, for example?
Also, you can down-convert from HD to SD, A to B card. ¿Speed? How time takes 1 hour of full HD 50i or 60i to SD? Good quality?

Thanks.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You can only dub from a memory card to the FMU NOT a second memory card. Also the file is just copied NOT converted. Page 63,64 in the manual. The composite A/V output is always SD page 56 in manual. So whatever the recorded material it can be played back from the composite output in SD. Copy times between card and FMU is about USB speed so an hour would take about 5 mins.
I edit everything in HD in Edius PRo 5.5, export a Canopus HQ file then downconvert with TMPGenc to make SD DVD files, author with DVDLab, use Vegas to convert to MPEG2 HD for authoring in DVD Architect for Bluray.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Arg, thanks Ron. I have forgotten that question!!!!

What a shame, you have TWO slots and you can't:

1.- Copy a master for backup or deliver to the customer in the place of recording.
2.- Record with a 32 gigas SD card as master and deliver works in 4-8 gigas SD card if works are short.
3.- Convert from HD to SD resolution por fast editings. One of the best ideas of HDV was SD downconvert vía FireWire. Why not downconvert from HD to another card or vía USB? And, why not convert to DV or DV-CAM... or XD-CAM?

Humm, a good firmware update.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree Mike, 'And, why not convert to DV or DV-CAM?' What's with this MPG SD and no Firewire socket?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, I don't know if FireWire is a must. USB 2.0 is more universal and speed is similar than FireWire.

The new EX-1r records DV-CAM. The Z5 records DV-CAM.
Why NX-5 don't records DV-CAM? Or better, why don't downconvert to DV-CAM, DV or HDV?

The worse issue for editing AVCHD is the codec. You need a very fast computer or lot of space on hard disk to conversions to another codec. (or both).

As HDV, why not to record and get good HD masters but EDIT in SD for fast works?
Can you imagine that in 2004 HDV cams don't let you downconvert direct from Firewire? Who porchased this CAM if you have to invest x4 for a computer to edit?
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I didn't change my computer, a Q9450, that I was using for HDV. Lots of memory and hard drives are needed for video editing anyway and are cheap. Edius Neo and Edius Pro 5.5 will edit native files so actually the memory and hard drive usage is less than HDV or DV . A powerful computer and memory will cost less than the camera so I really don't see this as an issue. I changed over completely to file based earlier this year after using my FX1 with the SR11 and XR500. It is a lot easier with the NX5U, SR11 and XR500 just the capture time alone of tape for a 3 camera two hour show would have been 6 hours. File transfer time for the same show from the three AVCHD cams is just over 30 mins. You can do a lot of editing in 5 hours and 30 mins!!!! File sizes for tape would be about 75GB for the AVCHD at the high data rate about 48GB. Yes to speed editing on a slower computer will require transcoding. In the case of Edius to HQ file sizes would jump to about 5 times but now the editing work flow would be like DV. I backup to LTO3 data tape the originals and the finished programs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders