NX5U Buffer Error w/ Camera & FMU128 | Solution for Firmware Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Major Player

NX5U Buffer Error w/ Camera & FMU128 | Solution for Firmware Update

I'll keep it short and to the point:

Good news - Sony has the updated firmware as of last week and it apparently fixes the buffer issues when recording to both SDHC/MemoryStick and the FMU128 unit.

Other news - You must complete a RMA form and send in your cameras to Sony in Teaneck, NJ. Call Sony support for complete details and the required form. You pay for the shipping to them, they pay it when going back to your location.

Turn-Around Time - Often quite fast, same week, 2-3 days in most cases - DEPENDING on in-flux of units to be fixed. It could easily go to a few weeks with this issue.

Questions - Call Sony or let me know!

I was hoping for a downloadable firmware update, but I guess so as to minimize users bricking their cameras, sending them in really does make the most sense I suppose. I do find it interesting how it's the camera and not the FMU128 unit.....hmm.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
New Boot

Yes, good news they've found a solution to the problem.But shipping the cam back to them is annoying.. And it seems like the fix is more than a simple firmware update. Otherwise it would be a lot easier and cheaper via downloadable update.

And what about the cameras that are in stores now? Will they be fixed?
Eugene Damianov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for doing the leg work on this and keeping us informed Marshall.

As for Sony, that is one major slap in the face to make us PAY to ship these brand new faulty products back to them. That is unbelievable!

I won't vent like I'd like to here because this thread is good news and we appreciate your help Marshall.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Information hasn't got to Canada yet as the rep I talked to this afternoon told me they were still collecting information on the problem and would get back to me when there was any other news.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you for your information Marshall.
I agree, having us pay to ship back a brand new product that has been found to be faulty is a crime in my book. Happy about the solution, annoyed by the solution process.
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I ordered a NX5U from B&H Friday and it shipped today. I'll post back here if the firmware was updated or not.

Joe
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

yup, sony canada has no clue at this point in time. the word i got from my rep at vistek was that "sony canada hasn't heard anything about new firmware". i'm sure they'll come around though...

between that and the lower rebate amount on the fmu you gotta wonder! :)

g
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry View Post
I ordered a NX5U from B&H Friday and it shipped today. I'll post back here if the firmware was updated or not.

Joe
I would be absolutely shocked if you lucked out with that. Let me know when you receive the camera. Sony-US just got the firmware last week and from the time the cameras ship from Japan and get to the US, the time of that will be much earlier than receipt of the firmware...so my only guess is that it's got to be from the same initial batches.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Edwards View Post

between that and the lower rebate amount on the fmu you gotta wonder! :)

g
You have to add in the cost of a full version of Vegas Pro 9 in Canada that I do not think is part of the US package. It actually may be a better deal. I hadn't upgraded to Pro 9 from Pro8 so it saved me a reasonable amount of money. More than the $100 difference in the rebate.

Ron Evans
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I just spoke to Sony and was told that the fix would provide a solution to BOTH the Buffer Overflow and the "Error writing to external memory" that a couple of us have experienced.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
You have to add in the cost of a full version of Vegas Pro 9 in Canada that I do not think is part of the US package. It actually may be a better deal. I hadn't upgraded to Pro 9 from Pro8 so it saved me a reasonable amount of money. More than the $100 difference in the rebate.

Ron Evans
i forgot about that, you're right! i totally need to sell that on ebay! :)
Karl Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

When will Sony make this announcement official?

I've called a Sony rep yesterday in Canada and they are saying this problem can only occur if you are not using at minimum a class 6 SDHC card. In other word, if you are using a class 4 or beyond this is the fault of the user not the camera.

Also, they only recommand to use brand known SDHC name card. A Panasonic, Sandis, Sony is OK, but a Patriot they've never heard (the Sony rep I've talked) of that brand. Therefore, you have more chance to have a problem. As anybody read this or saw the contrary? If the case, please let me know where it is documented, I will sure send this enformation to the Sony rep I've talked to. I've read the user manual (again) last night, an could not find anything mentioning brand and class type SDHC card to use with the NX5U camera.

What I am trying to say here, the message may not be the same for everybody, end even worsed, it sure is not the same in all the countries.

Then, where can we get an official note stating the problem (buffer overflow, data error...) has been recognized by Sony and that there is a fix for it. Along, with clear instructions on how to proceed for getting the camera fixed.

I've read on other site that people heard from the DVINFO site there was a fix. However, it is required to see something official.

Best regards!
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I am not sure whether to use just the FMU or just a card now. I think I will use cards. I have no immediate need for a backup at the moment as I always have at least two other cameras running. I don't think Sony Canada are up to date so we will have to wait until the news is distributed throughout Sony . I don't think it is anything to do with the make of cards used it is clearly a firmware issue with the timing and buffer memories not being managed to take account of the differing throughput's.

Ron Evans
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I received my NX5U yesterday. I can't say I've tested it extensively but I have recorded at the settings others have said cause problems and I'm relived to say I have not had any buffer problems yet. I'm using the Panasonic 16GB Gold Class 10 SD cards.

The problem that I am having is I can't seem to get SD footage off either the card or the Flash drive into FCP 7. HD is fine.

Joe
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

FCP does not read the SD files in the Log and Transfer window. You have to find them manually on your card/FMU and then just copy to your computer.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders